close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berry Bullet Tech Question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by javelinadave, Feb 26, 2010.

1. javelinadave

javelinadave Hebrew Hammer

I have a bunch of Berry 124g DS RN bullets. I'm using Tightgroup powder and want to get the fastest load out of my SBR Uzi without running into any issues. I went to http://www.hodgdon.com/ and used their calculator and was a bit stumped. Berry says to use lead data for their products. Hopefully somebody with better knowledge than I can jump in with a powder load that will work.
    Thanks.

2. D. Manley

D. Manley

Berrys bullets are plated not, jacketed...therefore, they are less than ideal for high velocity/high pressure loads. Berrys recommends usind lead data but you should be safe using mid-range jacketed data. I'd avoid anything near the upper tier jacketed data since the plating material is very thin and is not difficult to strip off.

FWIW, TG is not the powder to try and get highest velocities with. Have a look at Ramshot Silhouette or Alliant Power Pistol...much higher velocities and much safer.

3. mteagle1

mteagle1

Expect a shotgun type pattern above 1000fps.

4. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Why would you use Berry's and expect to get high velocities? Is it the cost of bullets?
    Berry's 124 grn RN is about 11 cents per. Look at getting some fully jacketed and load away. Check out $$ @ www.http://precisiondelta.com/product.php
    I don't know about their shipping schedule but @ $72/1000 it might be worth waiting.

5. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

get yourself some power pistol if you want velocity. tighgroup is not a powder you want to use for max velocity.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Exactly, TG is NOT the powder for running hot, then again, neither are plated bullets. You'll need true jacketed bullets & something medium burning like WSF, Unique, Universal, PP, HS6, etc. Save the TG for mousefart loads.:whistling:

7. RustyFN

RustyFN

Actually Berry's recommends using jacketed data.

I load Berry's 124 grain RN in my 9mm with 4.2 grains of Titegroup and the shoot very good.

8. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

Quote:
    Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.

I while back I made an inquiry directly to Berry's and the response I got was the same. Essentially you can use jacketed load data, but light to moderate, and keep velocities under 1200 FPS.

9. YogiBearFan

YogiBearFan

Trial and error has found that I get best results with Berry's when using the STARTING load for jacketed bullets and not going any higher. I tend to load with POWER PISTOL for 9mm and 40s&w, although, I have had good success with Titegroup.

I try to avoid going over 1000fps with Berry's, in general.