Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Anyone have one? What do you think of it, in particular the trigger? Thanks, Don
It's just a poly frame version of the old Cougar. They are solid, accurate, and reliable guns. They just never really took off in popularity; no pistol that Beretta makes besides the 92 ever really did. Their marketing strategy is lacking.

With that said the PX4 is just as good or better than many other options. They can be found for very reasonable prices too.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
As stated, great polymer pistols. Especially if you want a double action. Rotating barrel works great! I’ve shot the .40 and owned the 45acp version.
The .40 was the softest of that caliber I’ve shot in any other pistol.
The 45 PX4 can be upgraded to
similar to Beretta’s SD.
Longer barrel and steel recoil rod.
Only two minor constructive criticisms I can think of:
the grips are too slick (same problem as the 90-two)
and suppressing one could be a challenge due to the rotating barrel.
That’s it. Overall fantastic pistol, and a great value!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just picked up the Compact Carry done by LTT.

Feels solid. Very good trigger, the reset is long but there’s a new fix for that on LTTs website.

Thinking in the end I might like it more than my Cajunized CZ P01.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I have a compact that I have worked on,
it is a bit chunky, but shoots like a larger pistol,
recoil and muzzle flip are very negligible compared to other pistols in its class.
The trigger is decent and can be easily tuned.
LTT sells reduced hammer springs and a drop in short reset kit. (trigger bar)
I personally believe they are underrated pistols and wished Beretta would focus on more development and marketing of them.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts

The Compact PX4 Storm is a little fat in the grip and somewhat heavy in the era of the polymer 9, but the DA/SA trigger and rotating barrel are a nice change from the status quo. The PX4's quirky design elements kept it from reaching mass appeal, but it grows on you like a portly but eager to please mistress.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It’s a really great shooting gun.
Plus it has the benefit of being easy for my wife to rack the slide with relative ease. She has been unable to effectively rack most semi auto slides due to arthritic hands.
The trigger is fine. I’m not a trigger snob, (except on my bench rest rifles) it makes it go bang when I pull it.

Reactions: BDM71

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
As cool as the rotating bbl design is it needs to be run wet!
All in all from what I have read, it may not be as reliable as the Browning design.
Must be kept clean and oiled! If at the range and shooting it a lot I would oil the action every 100 rds...

MAC did the tortue test on one (ya I know) and it got clogged up and choked easily.

·
Registered
81,060 Posts
Anyone have one? What do you think of it, in particular the trigger? Thanks, Don
I rented the full size PX4 and the compact PX4 both 9mm at the range. MY wife and I preferred the compact. It was a soft shooter and very accurate. The trigger is good for a DA/SA.
On a side note, try the Sig SP2022 9mm. It is a lot of gun for the money and the trigger is great.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I rented the full size PX4 and the compact PX4 both 9mm at the range. MY wife and I preferred the compact. It was a soft shooter and very accurate. The trigger is good for a DA/SA.
On a side note, try the Sig SP2022 9mm. It is a lot of gun for the money and the trigger is great.
The best polymer DA/SA I have ever tried is the CZ P07/09.

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
It's an excellent and highly underrated pistol. The rotating barrel design is great and really tames muzzle flip.

I love mine. I have the Type C version that's made to emulate a striker-fired design. If you're going the DA/SA route I'd suggest upgrading to the "stealth" safety levers Beretta sells for it.

If you're looking to carry it, DEFINITELY the the Langdon Carry model if you can find one. An incredible deal for everything you get on that pistol!

MAC did the tortue test on one (ya I know) and it got clogged up and choked easily.
If you're not dunking your pistol into buckets full of mud and sand during a gunfight, you'll probably be ok. LOL That torture test is ridic.

·
Registered
81,060 Posts
The best polymer DA/SA I have ever tried is the CZ P07/09.
I've heard a lot of good things about them. The only thing that gives me pause is that many people get the triggers worked on by Cajun Gun Works.
You can change the trigger pull of the PX4 yourself, and the SP2022 needs no
trigger work other than break in and lube.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
It's an excellent and highly underrated pistol. The rotating barrel design is great and really tames muzzle flip.

I love mine. I have the Type C version that's made to emulate a striker-fired design. If you're going the DA/SA route I'd suggest upgrading to the "stealth" safety levers Beretta sells for it.

If you're looking to carry it, DEFINITELY the the Langdon Carry model if you can find one. An incredible deal for everything you get on that pistol!

If you're not dunking your pistol into buckets full of mud and sand during a gunfight, you'll probably be ok. LOL That torture test is ridic.
Long range sessions can cause stoppages if the gun is not lubed...

A quote from a thread a while back on the PX4;

I'm teaching a class in Canada in September, about half the students are LEO issued the PX4. My understanding is that they're not thrilled with the guns, but I don't have details yet.

The rotating barrel system is more prone to malfunctions than traditional locking mechanisms. The Cougar, Beretta's first rotating barrel pistol, never really took off in popularity in part because of this. Both of the "big" agencies that issued the gun -- Utah and North Carolina -- had enough problems that they eventually dumped the guns.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I have the Compact carry version. I love everything about it except the fact that Beretta screwed up the front sight install(waiting for them to reopen for repair)
I just ordered the new Langdon trigger bar and bobbed np3 hammer. I really like the size and how it shoots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Long range sessions can cause stoppages if the gun is not lubed...

A quote from a thread a while back on the PX4;

I'm teaching a class in Canada in September, about half the students are LEO issued the PX4. My understanding is that they're not thrilled with the guns, but I don't have details yet.

The rotating barrel system is more prone to malfunctions than traditional locking mechanisms. The Cougar, Beretta's first rotating barrel pistol, never really took off in popularity in part because of this. Both of the "big" agencies that issued the gun -- Utah and North Carolina -- had enough problems that they eventually dumped the guns.
I've had my 9mm PX4 full-size for likely 10 or more years now. Never has seen anything but Eezox in cleaning, which fully evaporates to leave a dry film. Runs without fail, even after hundreds and hundreds of rounds in multiple shooting sessions with no cleaning in-between.

I've discovered amongst my various firearms that excessive lube is a big no-no. If a gun won't run unless it is "well-lubed," I would dump it. Try "well-lubed" in subfreezing temps and see what happens. Tried a couple other CLPs over the years on shotguns, pistols, rifles and find myself back at Eezox.

Back to the PX4, runs dry fine, is almost boring to shoot in some ways. Has a LONG double action pull, but the single action is pretty nice. I like the reset on my Glocks better, but I like the single action pull of the PX4 better (no surprise). I also have the PX4 subcompact with the browning tilt barrel design. Same thing, has only seen Eezox and no issues, except it is a really chunky thing for subcompact.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I've had my 9mm PX4 full-size for likely 10 or more years now. Never has seen anything but Eezox in cleaning, which fully evaporates to leave a dry film. Runs without fail, even after hundreds and hundreds of rounds in multiple shooting sessions with no cleaning in-between.

I've discovered amongst my various firearms that excessive lube is a big no-no. If a gun won't run unless it is "well-lubed," I would dump it. Try "well-lubed" in subfreezing temps and see what happens. Tried a couple other CLPs over the years on shotguns, pistols, rifles and find myself back at Eezox.

Back to the PX4, runs dry fine, is almost boring to shoot in some ways. Has a LONG double action pull, but the single action is pretty nice. I like the reset on my Glocks better, but I like the single action pull of the PX4 better (no surprise). I also have the PX4 subcompact with the browning tilt barrel design. Same thing, has only seen Eezox and no issues, except it is a really chunky thing for subcompact.
Glad you have had nothing but goodness with it.
As a design though I stand by what I’ve said.
They can have stoppages if dry.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts