Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Captain38, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Captain38

Captain38

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I think a couple of people here have them. I have shot the full size PX4 with rotating locking system and like it.

3. gnvdallas

gnvdallas

I have had full size PX4s in 9 and 40. Good guns, a bit over-engineered IMO (more trick than necessary). The rotating bolt is trick and it functions well. But, the 92 is a more straight-forward and simple design. Guess I am just a simple person :tongueout: Still, I like the guns. Have not had the subcompact, but I expect it would also be good.

G

4. moeman

moeman

The sub compact doesn't have the rotating barrel--uses standard barrel slide tilt lock up.

The rotating barrel really does tame recoil--have it in a Beretta Cougar and really like it!

5. gnvdallas

gnvdallas

I did not realize that...hmmmm...may have to check it out. I have seen a few Cougars around for decent prices too and wouldn't mind have one of those.

G

6. Larry V

Larry V

I own this little beauty and love it. The most accurate Sub Compact 9mm i own. Shoots better then my 26 , believe me i was very surprised how well it performs!!!

7. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I don't own one, but I've thought the PX4 Beretta compact is one of the best looking plastic sub-compacts on the market......

hog

[​IMG]

8. tango44

tango44

Does anyone have pics of the PX4 subcompact compared to a G26 please.
    Thank you.

9. hogship

Here you go........G26 in red.

hog

[​IMG]

10. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I have one, 9mm and love it. Your question is....

11. hogship

Probably no specific question......just looking for your general evaluation.

hog

12. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I'd like to shoot one...

I had a Beretta 9000s for a short time. That thing was too chunky and heavy to be useful to me at the time. The 9000s has the rotating barrel recoil/locking system, IIRC.

I PRESUME that the Px4 sub-compact is just as chunky and heavy...but shorter barreled.

13. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

My uncle has one and loves it.

It has alot of features that come standard on it. Manual safety and decocker, different size interchangeable backstraps, rechargeable "glow" sights, and forward cocking serrations to name a few. Also has decent capacity (13+1) for a sub-compact frame and will accept higher capacity PX4 magazines as well.

Something I could gripe about is the slide mounted lever, whose location on the slide I personally do not prefer. In addition, the lever is somehwhat sharp and pointy and being a huge Glock fan I like everything dehorned. The finish is also kind of bad, and tends to flake off on the inside where it meets the frame rails. Beretta CS tells me this is "normal".

Nice gun, just not for me.

[​IMG]

14. bac1023

bac1023

15. moeman

moeman

The 9000s didn't have the rotating barrel. Never got much love even from Beretta diehards (in large part because it was Beretta's first polymer pistol). The PX-4 compact is said to be way better.

Both pistols are double stack so they will be thicker than single stack pistols but also have a lot more capacity.

16. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

How big is that little gun? Heck of an oxymoron there.:wavey:

17. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

General evaluation: I am really glad I bought it, I enjoy shooting it, it's a very good CCW. SA trigger is very good, sights are easy to acquire, the most notable feature while shooting are precision and recoil management. Considering the lenght of the barrell, the gun is extremely precise. Need to manage your grip carefully, practice might be needed, but it rewards a decent shooter handsomely. Recoil management is superb: many people who own both have reported selling the full size Px4 after shooting the SC and report that it is superior to the full size. See the threads on the Beretta forum site for details. It is odd, because this is a gun that shares 42 out of 60 components with the full size version. Maybe the difference boils down to the fact that the SC does not employ the rotating barrel and center lug, but uses instead a tilt barrel lockup and a flared muzzle to improve lockup and alignment with the slide.

I can compare it to the Walther PPS I shoot regularly and the recoil of the Storm is probably less than half as perceived by me. They are both very precise guns but the Storm handles like a much bigger gun.

CCW: reliability so far has been 100% for me, and that is paramount. Shoots everything everytime. It's comparable in size to a Glock 26/27 but it's rounder so it bites a lot less when I carry it (between 9 and 10). Love the extendable grip, have ordered a second one and the idea of having it built in is pretty good. The SC accepts magazines from the full size, so if 14 rounds are not enough for you go for 20+1.

The gun comes with 3 backstraps in the box so it should be easy to feel comfortable with it for a lot of people. My wife who is 54 lbs loves to shoot it ( she does not like the PPS at all), and so does my 16 year old son. We all share the same backstrap, the one that was mounted on it, and everybody is happy. I don't think much of the sights, who has the time to charge the sights in a "manure hits the fan" kind of situation? Will replace soon.
    The ergonomics are very similar to that of the full-size, but the divots just forward of and above the front of the trigger guards are a perfect place to rest your trigger finger. Beretta calls them, quite appropriately, memory spots (or something like that, I forget).

Holster: have bought a Split Decision from High Noon, and it works well. Might try another one.

In conclusion I am impressed with this gun, and really like how it shoots, carries, feels and also looks. It's a trip back to Beretta for me after many years, and it's a good trip.

EDIT: my wife is 120lbs = 54kg.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  18. oldnoob

oldnoob

I always though PX4 storm sub is the cutest sub compact pistol ever. Rather that's a good thing or not, it's up to the holder.

19. rfd339

rfd339

Good eval. checkyoursix , thanks. Might have to check one out in 40sw.

20. tango44

tango44

Question for people that own the Beretta and G26.

I can do pocket carry with my G26 and stock mags, G19 spare mag, very comfortable for all day long except for driving and seated at the office.

The Beretta can be pocket carry?
    Is it more little than the G26?
    Bulky? Chunky for pocket carry?
    Spare mag?
    Weight?
    Price?

All of the above compared to G26, Thank you.