Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the range last Saturday when a guy pulled up next to me with a Beretta PX4 Storm, and it looked to be new. I had my G21 and G30S with me. While we were both reloading mags, I struck up a convo with him, and asked him how he liked his Storm. Of course, as is usually case with us gun-owners, he couldn't stop singing its praises. He offered me to try it, I declined, but he insisted. The gun felt okay in my hand, but a little odd after shooting a few mags worth through my Glocks (grip angle maybe?). That first trigger pull was really off-putting to me....the ones after were okay. I guess its just me being used to Glock trigger pulls. I did okay accuracy-wise. He also had the gun extremely "wet". It was literally oozing in some places (maybe he was a "newb".....or is that a common for Berettas to be run that way?). It probably isn't fair to base a personal review after one mag, but the experience didn't leave me with a desire to "give it another shot"....sorry, couldn't resist the pun. I offered him my guns to try, but he said he never liked Glocks, he had tried shooting several before, and just didn't like them.

To each his own. Its a great thing we have so many choices out there for handguns.

·
Registered
30,339 Posts
I've had the 9mm PX4 Storm and PX4 sub compact for some time.

The first time I fired a PX4 (40 S&W) I said I have to get one of these and got one a couple weeks later.

Everyone that shoots the PX4 likes it.
A lady friend bought one after shooting mine. That surprised me since she has small hands but it's one of her favorite guns.

Equipped with a Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light and long magazine the PX4 is my nightstand gun.

but he said he never liked Glocks, he had tried shooting several before, and just didn't like them.
I understand that.
Although I own three Glocks, 19, 26 and 33, I'm not a Glock fan.
But the Glocks are right accurate. Especially this 357 SIG.

·
Not Assimilated
1,668 Posts
A PX4 is better off greased a bit on the rails and in the locking block tooth and groove than it is oiled all over.

The trigger is fine, that's a preference thing. I'd much rather deal with the DA/SA transition on an otherwise quality trigger and sear release than with the two piece trigger doohickey and the overall cheap feeling and sproingy Glock pull.

I also can't stand Glocks because of their finger bumpers, the unrelieved area between the front strap and the underside of the trigger guard, and other ergonomic issues I find were chosen by a designer who'd never fired a handgun before his engineering assignment.

Definitely glad there are pistols out there for everyone's tastes.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I have a Px4 Compact in 9mm. I like the Px4 better than the G19 Gen3 & 4 I had. The grip angle is more natural than the " aggressive" angle of the Glock ( and this is coming from a guy that owns a Luger) and no finger groves. the trigger on single action is lighter than a glock without having to mod the trigger and compromise reliability

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My daughter has a PX4 Compact in 9 mm and it is a very impressive pistol. I like the ergonomics.

Lots of people say that Berettas should "run wet" and they do run wetter than Glocks, but some people take it to a bit of an extreme. Maybe this was a newbie who went that route.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Lots of people say that Berettas should "run wet" and they do run wetter than Glocks, but some people take it to a bit of an extreme. Maybe this was a newbie who went that route.
No guns need to be ran "wet". You lube the contact points with just a hint of lubricant. That's it. However, people think that more is better, especially military people. First malfunction they see, they'd break out the CLP bottle and stargt squirting.

Anyway, I have two PX4 pistols: .45ACP full size and 9mm Subcompact. Also have two Glocks: G17 Gen 1 and G20SF Gen 3.

The Berettas are better built. Period.

Shooting wise, mechanical accuracy goes to the Beretta and practical accuracy goes to the Glock. The short reset on that Glock trigger is nice for following up shots.

That said, for the ridiculously low cost of the Beretta, it's a much better buy.

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
I too am not a Glock fan.
I tend to measure all triggers by 1911 single action triggers.

That said there are several different Storm models. There are two others that have a different set up. I forget what model mine is, but it's pretty light. I want to say C but I haven't had it out in three years. It feels better than a Glock though.

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
As much as I dislike the Beretta 92. I seem to accumulate a lot of them. I have even found myself searching for triggers and hammer kits.

On a side note.

The standard 92 would look much better if they would use the 90 Two slide.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I own three PX4s, soon to be four. I have the full size 9mm and 45, and the compact 9mm. I am getting ready to buy the subcompact 9mm. They definitely did take some getting used to as the point of aim is different from Glocks. With these Berettas, you have to cover the target to make it shoot to point of aim.

I absolutely love these pistols (but still prefer my Glocks as they are easier to shoot and carry). They beat the crap out of the M&Ps I used to own.

All of my PX4s have been reliable from day one. Tons of rounds down range without a failure of any kind. I can't say the same about my Glock 29 and 19.

I highly recommend the PX4 series to everyone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had a Storm in .45, but was just to large. Shot very nicely.

Want to get another one in 9mm C, but will not buy from them until they move to Ga. from md.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
No guns need to be ran "wet". You lube the contact points with just a hint of lubricant. That's it. However, people think that more is better, especially military people. First malfunction they see, they'd break out the CLP bottle and stargt squirting.
You and I are pretty much saying the same thing. Note that I didn't recommend that they be run wet, only that it is said and written.

I offered my comment as an explanation for the OP's observation that the pistol he fired was dripping in oil - people often over-lubricate Berettas and often other pistols, as well. FWIW, the Beretta manual, unlike the Glock manual, instructs the user to lubricate all moving parts, and there are a few more moving parts, or contact points as you phrase it, so a wee bit more oil is often needed on a Beretta than a Glock.

The point I was attempting to make, and which I think you agree with, is that people take those instructions and internet blather to unreasonable extremes. A light film of oil on moving parts is all that is needed. People who hose the innards down with oil are causing themselves more trouble than they are curing.

Sorry if I didn't phrase it well at first. You and I are on the same page, I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
the sub compact is very UGLY.....................
Yeah, the SC is definitely the ugliest of the bunch. However, as long as it shoots well and is reliable, I don't care what it looks like.

The ugliest pistol, in my opinion, is the XD subcompact. it's very tall looking and the dimensions are all off.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
The pugnose look of the Subcompact definitely turns me off, but it's a decent piece. I just wish that it and all of the new plastic phantastics aren't so damn wide!!!

I was shooting to the left quite a bit and at first I thought that it was me then I said the hell with it and took out the brass punch/hammer and knocked the rear sight over to the right a hair. Now she's dead on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the PX4 in .45acp and love the gun. Feels nice in my hand, light recoil due to it rotating barrel, and great accuracy. I also just acquired a G30sf and though it has a different feel, I hope it reliability will be just as good. Feels like a great shooter too.

·
Banned
17,266 Posts
Glocks are reliable and consistent in a McDonalds sort of way.

The striker fired to da/Sa trigger is an adjustment. I shoot both but normally on a non- striker simply thumb back the hammer for the first shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts