Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought what I thought was an M9 commercial. At least that is what the slide is marked. However, multiple sources indicate that M9's have a serial number that begins with "M9," whereas this one has a serial that begins with "BER" and ends with a Z suffix. Plugging the serial number into Beretta's website indicates it is a 1991 made 92FS, but the kicker is that the frame is an M9 frame (straight dust cover and no grip radius).

Can any of you Beretta experts tell me what I have?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If I remember correctly, the serial numbers with "BER" indicate the gun was built in Italy. As to the dust cover, the older FS guns started with straight dust covers, and have only transitioned to the tapered dust covers over the last few years (don't remember the exact year). Beretta also made a 92 FS Police Special with the straight dust cover. What you have there is a very nice older 92 FS.

A couple things I would suggest is go to the Beretta USA website and order the latest locking block upgrade and new mag springs/ followers. Then go to Wilson Combat and get their trigger spring and the steel recoil rod and new recoil spring. Beyond that, grab a bunch of 124gr ammo and go crazy at the range (the 92's seem to prefer 124 over 115gr ammo). Good Luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Yeah, someone has done some bling upgrades.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
OK, went back and checked my facts. "BER" means the gun was assembled in the USA, the "Z" indicates the frame is of Italian manufacture. This was done to counter an overlap between the Italian and USA gun serial numbers. Once the serial numbers became unique again, the Letter at the end of the serial number was dropped. The straight dust covers were produced on Italian frames prior to 2000, sometime after 2000, the slanted frames came into being. To date, there seems to be no verifiable reason for the change, other than they wanted to.

·
Banned
330 Posts
My understanding is the slanted dust cover was implemented to stop frame cracks in the 40 caliber models. Apparently the slanted dust cover is stronger in some way.

·
Banned
330 Posts
I don't think it is pieced together except the chrome stuff. Receiver made in Italy, gun assembled in the US. Doesn't mean it's mismatched, it just means they imported the part.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't think it is pieced together except the chrome stuff. Receiver made in Italy, gun assembled in the US. Doesn't mean it's mismatched, it just means they imported the part.
I agree. I think the Beretta serial number search told you correctly. I actually like the straight dust cover, appearance wise. I believe the reason folks consider it an M9 frame is that the military doesn't allow any major design changes once a contract is made, so the military M9 maintained the old straight dust cover.
As for the slanted dust cover being stronger, it may be. But I've had many of these guns, several in .40 that were shot a lot, and never saw a crack on any of them. I have a straight dust cover .40 right now (also has a radiused backstrap). Guess I'm lucky. Then again, do an image search for cracked Beretta frame. You will see a lot of Tomcats, but not many 90-series guns.

Congrats on the gun. Now go change out those shiny bits, get a D spring and an elite II hammer, and enjoy.

·
Banned
330 Posts
I agree. I think the Beretta serial number search told you correctly. I actually like the straight dust cover, appearance wise. I believe the reason folks consider it an M9 frame is that the military doesn't allow any major design changes once a contract is made, so the military M9 maintained the old straight dust cover.
As for the slanted dust cover being stronger, it may be. But I've had many of these guns, several in .40 that were shot a lot, and never saw a crack on any of them. I have a straight dust cover .40 right now (also has a radiused backstrap). Guess I'm lucky. Then again, do an image search for cracked Beretta frame. You will see a lot of Tomcats, but not many 90-series guns.

Congrats on the gun. Now go change out those shiny bits, get a D spring and an elite II hammer, and enjoy.
I have a 96 and a 96d Centurion. Both straight dust cover. I dig the looks too. My general rule of thumb is the straight dust cover guns have all the metal parts. The slants are usually filled with plastic. I second your advice. The D spring is the best mod you can do to a Beretta, and $5 is a pretty smoking price. Unlike a 4.5lb connector for $25!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Gunsmoke, thanks for the info. So I take it my gun started life as an Italian 92fs, then later on someone put on M9 slide and nickel parts on it.
No, your gun is an Italian manufactured, USA assembled model 92 FS. The only change is the stainless parts someone added, so you've got a solid 92 FS. Great firearms.

·
NRA Life Member
69,032 Posts
Maybe a parts gun - you can buy everything but the frame on Ebay, cheap; even factory new, assembled Beretta upper halves. The frames have to be around somewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts