Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the pistol is off safe (ready to fire), but hammer fully down... if something hits the hammer, would the firing pin come in contact with the live cartridge?

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,845 Posts
I must not have been in the military (USAF), we carried round chambered safety off except when we were on an installation run by girly men like Army or Navy commanders.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Reactions: Bus007

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Happy guy- I understand the Air Force standard is safety off I was army and they insisted on safety on

·
MacGyver
8,127 Posts
NO

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
1,551 Posts
I was USMC MP. Standard for us was chambered with safety on. I don't know anybody who actually carried with the safety on, though (I know that I didn't).

I must not have been in the military (USAF), we carried round chambered safety off except when we were on an installation run by girly men like Army or Navy commanders.

Regards,
Happyguy :)
You are correct. Not only is the USAF not military, from the "friendly fire" (which isn't) incidents I'm not even sure that they're on our side.

Regards,
drunk former Marine 5811

·
Semper Paratus
29,121 Posts
To answer the question in the Beretta the ignition mechanism will not allow the firing pin to go forward until the very last bit of travel has been pulled prior to the sere releasing ,the trigger bar then makes contact with the plunger safety and releases the firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
The M9 is safe to carry hammer down. All day long. Always use the decocker and keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to fire and you will never have an accident. The M9 is one of the safest designs out there. Huge fan of the 92. I have mine converted to a G decocker only version currently, but I have had it setup a few different ways over the years.

·
Registered
33,157 Posts
The M9 is safe to carry hammer down. All day long. Always use the decocker and keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to fire and you will never have an accident. The M9 is one of the safest designs out there. Huge fan of the 92. I have mine converted to a G decocker only version currently, but I have had it setup a few different ways over the years.
Yes, isn't de-cock, safety off, basically the same way a G is riding?

But, if having a safety, it would seem good idea to use it and train swiping it off. Otherwise if safety goes on, you are screwbied.

Most the malfuctions I've ever seen in competitions was related to safeties not being swiped off.

One criticism of the 92 is the slide mounted safety can get swiped on by racking the slide.

With 92 and PPK, I always trained thumb the safety forward when pointing the gun forward. If gun goes forward, safety goes forward.

I've never liked when new guns with safeties were being made (Clinton effect, I bet) that gunowners on forums would say if you don't like the safety just don't use it. Um, no. If I don't like the safety I don't want it on my gun!

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Yes, isn't de-cock, safety off, basically the same way a G is riding?

But, if having a safety, it would seem good idea to use it and train swiping it off. Otherwise if safety goes on, you are screwbied.

Most the malfuctions I've ever seen in competitions was related to safeties not being swiped off.

One criticism of the 92 is the slide mounted safety can get swiped on by racking the slide.

With 92 and PPK, I always trained thumb the safety forward when pointing the gun forward. If gun goes forward, safety goes forward.

I've never liked when new guns with safeties were being made (Clinton effect, I bet) that gunowners on forums would say if you don't like the safety just don't use it. Um, no. If I don't like the safety I don't want it on my gun!
Yes the G works as a decocker only, there is no on safe position.

I found that with the factory safer/decocker after reloading i was activating the safety to the on position and having a dead trigger.

I have used both a single sided low profile safety and the G conversion. Both work really well and prevent the safety from inadvertent activation. However the low profile safety wasn’t easy to activate as a decocker. I prefer the G these days.

I always carried them gun decocked with the safety off. I see little use for a Traditional DA gun with a manual safety, though I do like you can load and I load the weapon with the safety on and never have a hot trigger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts