Beretta 92 mgs in Taurus 92

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Dave Davis, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Dave Davis

Dave Davis

I have a Taurus 92 and I got some Beretta 92 magazines the other day on sale. For some reason I thought that the Beretta mags would fit the Taurus , but no..The magazine slot on the Beretta mags is smaller then the Taurus mags. Has anyone tried to make the Beretta mag catch slot bigger ??

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

What brand of mags did you get? May have to sell them?

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

A friend modified some Beretta mags for his Taurus in the mid nineties.
    Dremel away,..........

4. Dave Davis

Dave Davis

The mags are made in Italy by Mec-gar.

5. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Why do this? Mec-gar mags can be had for $20-$25, just get the ones designed for the gun and not worry about any reliability issues.

6. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

I have, successfully and un-successfully. I messed up some Beretta mags using a dremel a bit too egarly. Next time I used a dremel, very cautious ly, and some small jewelry files I have. Just take your time, and measure, re-measure, always measure your cuts. Ain't that hard really.

7. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

One of the conditions between Taurus and Beretta that came with the sale of the tooling and basically the whole factory was that mags wouldnt interchange between the two different pistols, I believe. I was doing some research and came across this info on a Beretta dedicated website. I always thought it was because of the differences between the slide and frame mounted safeties, though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  8. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

9. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

If you're like me, I just can't bring myself to get rid of something that can be made useful. Let us know what you decide to do. I'm curious and now I'm gonna go ahead and change my Beretta mags (don't have a Beretta 92 anymore) to fit in my Taurus PT-92. then I'll have a lot of mags for it! More the better.

10. Dave Davis

Dave Davis

I got 10 of the things at a gun show , so there is no takeing them back. I took a peice on scotch tape and put it over the mag catch hole on the mag.. Then I put the mag into the Taurus. You can see on the tape where the mag catch in the Taurus slid along the mag body and stoped. I got a small file and cut some off the top and some off the bottem of the mag catch slot. I now have two out of the ten mags that work. Its hard work , it took about an hour each and my fingers are killing me. Some times I do really dumb things

11. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

That's exactly how I ended up with Beretta mags before I had a Beretta and just the Taurus.