Beretta 92 Compact shooting in DAO mode?!?!?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by carbon_15, Feb 13, 2010.

1. carbon_15

carbon_15 1*

I bought a used Beretta 92 fs compact a while back and got to shoot it for the first time today. it is a traditional DA/SA model but for some reason sometimes (most of the time) the hammer follows the slide down. If I rack the slide by hand it stays cocked...when firing it decocks itself.
    Any ideas what I should check first?
    Thanks
    Jason

2. SinCityGlocker

SinCityGlocker

is the slide traveling fully to the rear during firing? Are you using a different type of ammunition than normal?

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

You sure it's a DA/SA gun? If so it sounds like someone may have replaced some of the parts, or screwed up a trigger job.

4. sputnik767

sputnik767

That seems right to me. The sear is what holds the hammer back when the slide returns to battery. I would say that somebody got a little too aggressive with a dremel tool. Best thing to do is to completely disassemble your gun and have a look at the sear and hammer mating surfaces.

5. moeman

moeman

I bet they said it was DA/SA and you got a DAO.

6. carbon_15

carbon_15 1*

not that simple. The DAO model has a bobbed hammer, this one dosnt..and the gun is marked FS not D. Besides that, it only drops the hammer sometimes.

QUOTE=moeman;14750564]I bet they said it was DA/SA and you got a DAO.[/QUOTE]

7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Sounds like someone screwed with the sear, hammer, or springs. If you bought it at a store take it back. Otherwise contact Beretta, it is unsafe and needs to be repaired.

8. sputnik767

sputnik767

Yea, you don't want it to go full-auto or fire out of battery

9. hoffy

hoffy

most likely a trigger job gone bad, seen this way to many times. Try , with the gun clear of course, pushing forward on the cocked hammer, if it falls, bad sear surfaces. Now I have a well used Walther PPK(interarms) in 380 that after tens of thousands of rounds, mostly lighter than stock handloads, started doing this, but the safety was partially engaging when the slide stopped at the rear of the cycle, dropping the hammer. Easy fix, replaced all the springs(had gun for 15 years when this popped up) and the detent that engaged the safety- problem solved, proof tested it with some of that hot Santa Barbara Spanish millitary 9mm corto that was sold surplus years ago. That ammo broke every Bryco it was put in , we had to stop selling it with those brycos when I worked at a gun shop way back when, some people got mad, it was the cheapest 380 ammo we had, but was sure to break those pot metal guns. Check your hammer and safety function, the gun will probably need a gunsmiths attention, or back to factory, these are not usually drop in parts. Good luck. :wavey: