close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beretta 391

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Esox357

Esox357

I noticed the local sporting goods store selling these for around 399.00 I think? What is the deal on these? I remember the old model the 390 but have not heard much in terms of these 391's? I currently have a rem 11-87 but would like a back up just in case for the season. Are they a reliable shotgun? Thanks Esox357

2. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

$399 for a new Beretta 391? I doubt it, but if it's true you should buy them all. Prices are generally $700-$800 for a standard model. Mine was on the lower end of that. Do I like it. Definitely! I've got a lot of time on the Remington shotguns, and there is no comparison. The Beretta is smoother, lighter, and just generally faster handling. The three quail I got last weekend didn't like it at all ;f .

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

If they are selling for $399 tell us where! Mine was $720. Fine shotgun but a ***** to take completely apart for cleaning.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I'll second that! I stripped my 391 down a couple of days ago, and it was a 45 minute logic puzzle trying to get it back together. There are a lot of pieces and the manual sucks. I generally like to at least do a quick strip and clean after every couple of days of hunting, but I may fudge a little with my 391.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Wow, the 391 must be a completely different gun then the 390 is… which was not my understanding at all. I thought the major difference between the two was the redesigned gas assembly? I know the 391 is a bit slimmer then the 390, but thought that it was basically the same.

(I’m going to have to grab a 391 & look at this a bit more!)

I know my 390 both field strips & detail strips (Especially the trigger group!) VERY easily!

6. Esox357

Esox357

Walmart had them at 499.00 or near that, then when I was at gaylans in Omaha, the guy said they had them on sale for 399.00? Esox357

7. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

My local FFL shop can’t purchase 391’s at that price… I’m betting they are 390’s of some sort…

The 390’s at Wal-Mart are the bastardized ones…

By the way, a Beretta would be no back-up gun to a Remington... the Beretta is the better SG!

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Keep in mind that while I own/have owned dozens of guns, this is my first gas-operated shotgun. It may just take some getting used to. I stand by my statement that the manual sucks, and I'll try to wait a few weeks until I pass final judgment on the difficulty of disassembly of the 391.

It is definitely a great shooter though, and will be well worth learning to disassemble it. I know that quail don't like it at all. ;)

9. Esox357

Esox357

I have never really been partial to Beretta period. I don't know why I haven't given them a chance, but as I look more and more the consensus is that their shotguns are decent. I may buy one, I don't know. I do know I was never impressed with their handgun line, and I have shot them. I have never shot their line of shotguns though. Michigun what makes the Beretta better, just curious? I knew that the 11-87's were breaking O rings at one time, but supposedly have change now. That is about all I heard about them? Esox357

10. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

plasticguy, the manual does suck! It is translated from Italian, poorly.

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Two different animals! Beretta shotguns are made in Italy, waaay differently then Beretta’s handgun line here in the US. Beretta has been making shotguns longer then handguns. Beretta is defiantly more known for their O/Us though.

"Michigun what makes the Beretta better, just curious?"

The Beretta auto loader is a very simple gun with less/better parts. It is VERY easy to detail strip requiring no special tools. It’s gas system is “self cleaning”, non-complicated & very tuff. Most importantly, the design is reliable with anything from light target loads to hard kicking slugs! The gun just works & it works in all conditions.

For sure you’re getting what you pay for in this case.

Not that it pertains to anything here in particular, but thought you’d also like to know that Beretta is the oldest gun company in the world.

12. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks for the info michigun. I will try to see how it "fits" and go from there. Thanks for the help. Esox357