Beretta 21 pocket pistol?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ronin.45, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I have a Jetfire in 25 cal. single action. I bought it in 1968. I carried it for years as a second or third gun when I was in patrol. It looks like it has been through a world war. It has never failed to fire.

2. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

M2 Carbine covered a lot of my own experience with the 21A, including a good pocket gun for when the gun really needed to be concealed.

I bought my first one in 1984 or 85. I put a good 5000 + rounds thru it before the pins started working loose. Half of that round count was CCI Minimag and Remington hyper velocity. At the time, my best overall bullet was the Remington 40 grain "golden bullet." It was accurate, always fed, seldom minfired, and who cares about HP when the barrel's so short it probably wouldn't expand anyway.

I bought my second 21A in 1987 or 88 and didn't shoot it quite as much. I carried it in alot, however, until the last 15 or so years. It was a backup gun that I kept going back to when I worked for a uniformed law enforcement organization that sort of frowned on backups. My dad has a soft spot for small .22s and bought one of his own. He's carried his for a long time also with no ill effects.

With good ammo, the 21A is accurate and reliable. Back when the 21A was introduced, its major competetion was the Walther TP. Every gun rag raved about the virtues of the Walther, but the 21A cost less, was far more reliable, and didn't give you "Walther bite."

That tip up barrel is great for teaching kids to shoot. An old cop with severely arthritic hands was very much impressed with the tip up barrel feature also. While a life long 1911 shooter who would have turned up his nose at the little gun 30 years before, he agreed that it was easy for him to manipulate and after all, met the first rule of "have gun."

If you want to get her a little .22, you can't beat a 21A.

I eventually plan to have my original tuned up so the pins don't work out when I shoot. I will keep the second one and play with it occasionally. I ought to pick up a newer model one of these years just in case.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010

3. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

Hiya oldnoob......yep, I'd say you are beating the odds with your 21A that has no preferences in which ammo it likes. I agree......this is a really nicely made mini-pistol from Beretta.

The real reason I own one, though......is simply because I wanted something that is small, automatic, and shoots the 22LR cartridge. I don't think I could have made a better choice than the Beretta 21A. :supergrin:

Most of the published data with the 22LR is from a much longer barrel than is tested in the 25acp. This accounts for the usual comments about 22LR being a much superior cartridge for power. As I understand it, the two little cartridges are very similar in performance, if both are tested in a very short barrel.

There is one distinct advantage of the 25acp over the 22LR.......and, that is it's semi-rimmed case is designed for the specific purpose of being used in a automatic firearm. This does make an overall difference in reliability, but if very consistently loaded ammo is used for the 22LR, the difference is minimized. My guess is the 25acp, regardless, would be the overall better cartridge for reliability.......but, I've not seen any tests to prove it, one way or the other.

hog

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. remat

remat

I have one!

[​IMG]

It is a great little pistol for what it is. Full featured and simple to load for those who may not be wrist strong to rack/unrack a slide.

I use it to introduce new shooters to semiautos. Zero recoil and incredibly accurate. Everybody likes shooting it.

I haven't found mine to be too picky about ammo, but it only runs well when clean and lubricated. It does not like to be run dry.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I forgot I chronographed the Beretta.

Wal Mart Winchester Silver Box 550 bulk pack, date Aug 2010 = 925 FPS

WM Winchester Silver Box BP, date June 2008 =891 FPS

WM Remington 550 BP, date June 2008 = 775 FPS

Stinger, date June 2008 = 1022 FPS

WM Winchester Red Box 555, dated Aug 2010 = 876 FPS

And speaking of the Beretta MINX 22 Short.

Remington, dated Dec 2000 = 800 FPS

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  6. ronin.45

ronin.45

7. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

I've thought about one myself. Basically from what I've read as others have said if you keep it cleaned, lubed and load it with Stingers they usually work fine. Had a Tomcat and it was a good gun. But it was fat for a .32. Replaced it with a Kel Tec .32 which was fine shooter. Went up to a P3AT and it has been a good gun but it has alot more recoil than the .32. Problem is my left arm has been through a couple of surgeries for nerve damage. I've learned to shoot right handed. But on weak hand drills I have problems. I can get away with a .22. Anything else it's hard for me to hit with. A .22 loaded with Stingers and shot well would certainly do the job.
    One of the only thing I don't like about the tip up barreled Beretta's is the lack of an extractor. They don't mess up usually with good ammo. And the few times my Tomcat did jam flipping the barrel open sent the round flying. If it is really jammed in the barrelo though it would be a bear to clear. Still been looking longingly at a stainless model 21A. Beretta sure makes pretty guns. Even the little ones. And my Tomcat was very accurate also. Have not found the .22 and .25 Beretta's I've shot any less so.

8. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

BTW, it seems that most of the newer "designer" .22's (P22, SIG Mosquito, etc.) are ammo finicky. At least until you get them broken in. If your used to a Ruger that will feed about anything you may get upset. But if you are willing to work with it a bit you can usually get them running with a little break in and the right ammo.