Beretta 21 pocket pistol?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ronin.45, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ronin.45

ronin.45

Who has them? What are your thoughts? I am thinking about buying one in 22lr. It is mostly for a friend. She is very sensitive to recoil and noise. I want to get her into a heavier caliber eventually but this is about all she can handle as of now. If she likes this I'll give it to her. If not I'll probably just keep it as a alternative pocket gun. Give me your impressions and experiences.

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've had them for many years. I carried one before it was strictly legal. I taught my friends boys to shoot the little Beretta before they could pull the slide back on the gun. With the tip up barrel they could load the gun without having to pull the slide.

At present I'm using mine for timed low light small pistol laser practice. Ran a bunch of magazines through it the last few evenings.:)
    [​IMG]

Basically they are good guns. They are somewhat choosy about ammo and will give feeding, extracting/ejecting jams with cheap ammo, like Wal Mart 550 bulk pack.
    I go through a lot of 22 ammo so I put up with the few jams I get shooting the cheap ammo.

Keep the gun clean, oiled and loaded with good ammo and it's not a bad little pocket gun, for a 22.

3. cosmose

cosmose

i love the little beretta's lots of fun to shoot and more accurate then i thought they would be. i have the beretta minx (22 short only, fun little gun) and my brother has the bobcat in 22lr. both are reliable but a little ammo picky.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Thanks guys. I am prepared for ammo pickiness. I plan to run Velocitors through it mostly. Glad to hear some positive reviews.

5. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

At first, mine was a disappointment........

......until I started using premium 22 ammo. Once I found what it liked, I've had nothing but perfect reliability with it. This is one little pistol that I'll never sell.

It's a bit thick, so pocketability isn't as good as some of the more thinner little pistols.

Magazine release is in an odd place.....not that it's a problem, just that you need to remember this.

When unloading......hit the barrel release, and it'll fling the chambered cartridge across an average sized room. I've been on my hands and knees more than once, looking for the little bugger!

hog

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  6. oldnoob

oldnoob

I had one and boy was that a fun toy. It can disappear in any of your pocket and it's has a great fit in my hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though, get the bullet holes under 4" in 3 yards was a task for me. It was indeed a very pleasure shooting gun.

7. oldnoob

oldnoob

I found my NOT picky about the ammo, but instead need to be clean every 50~100rd.

8. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

This.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

9. bac1023

bac1023

I have the Tomcat, which is similar, in 32ACP.

Its been perfectly reliable.

10. hogship

hogship Stop the steal! Silver Member

oldnooob.......I guess you and Herb just haven't found the correct "wrong ammo" yet!:supergrin:

With mine, it had nothing to do with cleaning. With the cheap bulk Remington ammo, it would jam straight from a fresh clean and lube. I've found that The CCI mini mags and Federals that come in the 100rd plastic packs run without any trouble.

Don't believe I've ever gone more than about 50rds, or so, between cleanings, but I'm sure there is some point where that would be a factor with any ammo........:faint:

hog

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That's pretty much what I've seen with the bulk pack type ammo.

I have four magazines. Most of the shooting I do with the gun is fast point shooting. I can usually expect the gun to start failing to extract/eject, every couple magazines, between 50 and 100 rounds.

I can't remember the last time I used such as CCI ammo but I suspect the malfunctions would be at a minimum.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  12. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

I have one in .22,.25 and .22 short all work great with good ammo. Regular cleaning helps too.

13. oldnoob

oldnoob

I have been known for lucky with my cheap guns. :cool:

But really, I shoot nothing but cheap wal mart bulk pack (Federal, Remington, Win...etc). And really, other than the fact I can't shoot it bull's eye out of 3 yards, it's was a really fine pistol.

14. drizzle

drizzle

I don't carry it much anymore, since my LCP is almost the same size, but I'll echo the pickyness others have found with ammo. Mine also ejects empties straight back into my glasses nearly every time...I still like it, though. Cool little pistol.

15. Sgt127

Sgt127

I've had a couple of the Beretta .22's and, they are indeed fun to shoot, quite accurate and decently reliable. For a defense gun though, i would have to give the nod to the .25 auto for reliablity. Recoil is, in my opinion, not much, if any more than the .22.

Ammo cost is more though.

16. Novocaine

Novocaine

Mouse guns are not the best choice for a novice shooter. I don't think the approach "if she doesn't like it I'll find use for it" is appropriate in this particular case. Aside from that if it were me I'd get Tomcat (which I did). But I would sooner get .22 than .25

17. mrt949

mrt949

I carry one most of the time in rotation with my seecamp. Runs great with cci blaser or mini mags if you keep it clean.

18. oldfort

oldfort

My Mod 21 loves CCI Stingers. I carried it in my pocket after there was a rape reported in the parking garage of the hospital that my father was staying. I now carry a KelTec P3AT. I feel that a .25 is just a little better than a a rubber band and a marble, and not even on par with a .22LR. Good luck.

19. ronin.45

ronin.45

I have zero interest in a .25. It has the slight advantage of being centerfire, but is less powerful than 22lr.

20. ronin.45

ronin.45

I agree that a mouse gun is not an optimum choice for anyone especially a new shooter. She will practice with it alot before she carries it, that's not an issue. I don't really understand your second comment. If she doesn't like it I'm not going to force her to use it. I'll keep it for myself or sell it.