close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Benelli Super Black Eagle 2

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by isalamon, Mar 19, 2006.

1. isalamon

isalamon

I am thinking of buying this gun this week. Any feedback on the comforttech stock?

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I don't have one, but have shot a friends extensively.

If I wasn't already "shot-gunned up", I would go by one tomorrow.

The felt recoil is noticably lighter than each of my remingtons and my baretta.

3. isalamon

isalamon

Thanks, that's what I've been readiing. Now it's just a question of black composite stock or camo. The SBE2 with the comfortech stock only comes in those two configurations.

4. Jim Ewing

Jim Ewing

I bought a SBEII before last years goose season. A camo 26" barrel version I've used it on several OOS hunts two OOC hunts, and hunts here. To me, the recoil is not reduced from my older SBE I. The only advantage is the fact, that it is easier to get to the recoil spring for cleaning. Unlike the SBE I, I have not put a Sure-Cycle kit on the SBE II.
    I found the factory Crio chokes, threw crappy patterns. This was fixed by going to SRM Terror chokes in .675 for duck/goose hunting with Kent 3.5 1550 BB's and #1's. The .655 Terror has proven to be be great with Turkey loads, such as Hevi-Shot.
    I am happy with the performance, but really do not see much improvement over the older SBE I.
    If I was a Benelli engineer, I would have moved the recoil spring to the forearm like they did on the Franchi I-12. That I would call, an improvement.
    These are my thoughts, after two seasons of use.

5. isalamon

isalamon

Thanks for th input Jim. I just printed out your choke notes. Do you have the comfortech stock?

6. Jim Ewing

Jim Ewing

I have also had good success with the Briley X2 LM and IM. The loads that have proven the best out of the X2's are Federal Ultra Shok 12 3.5 BB;s, #1's, and 3" #3's. The loads run around 1450 to 1500. Thru the Briley's, these loads tend to break up at around 30-35 yards leaving holes in the pattern.

For the fast steel 1550-1600, the SRM Terror chokes have proven the best out of the SBE II. The .675 Terror with Kent 12ga 3.5 BB's at 1550 have yielded 95% patterns at 40 yards. This is the goose load I have used for the last couple of seasons, and the load/choke combo has proven it's worth.
    Another load that is showing promise is the new Kent shotshells at 1625. They are showing 97% at 40yards according to the pattern board. I have not used these loads in any hunting yet.
    I have tried these loads thru both Briley's, but neither held the patterns together past 25 yards.
    I hope this help's. The SBEII is a fine shotgun. Mine has been nothing but reliable. I just don't see that much of an improvement over the SBEI, except for easy access to the recoil spring. On a hunt to Manitoba, I left my wrench/socket at home and had to borrow them to clean the recoil spring. That is were the comment about putting the recoil spring in the stock came from.
    I don't think you will regret buying the SBEII. It will be 100% reliable, and your's may pattern great with the factory chokes.