close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Benefit for DUI-crash-related medical costs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WarCry, Mar 10, 2012.

1. WarCry

WarCry

Would you go to the benefit, give you money if you were a business?

Here's the deal:
    A 17 year old high school senior was severely injured in a DUI accident a week or so before Christmas. His family has set up a fund and benefit to help cover the staggering medical costs that are building. They're asking for baskets to raffle, donations from local businesses for auctions, all the usual stuff.

Here's the kicker:

The 17 year old was charged with Aggravated DUI, Underage Consumption, and Disobeying a Traffic Device (Stop Sign). He ran the sign and hit another car, serious injuring not only himself, but to the passenger in the other car.

So, let's hear it: Yes, the medical bills are building, there's no question, but does the idea of "forgive mistakes" carry far enough to give this family money to pay, not for the OTHER person, but for the bills incurred by the one charged with the accident?

It's causing quite a stir locally, the debate being do you help a family out, or is it rewarding his behavior by giving them money?

2. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Ok I'll bite.

What is the ultimatum?

:dunno:

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

17 year old kids make mistakes.

4. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

How are the people he hit and injured?

What no medical insurance?

5. hpracing007

hpracing007

If I had done something like that, my parents would be ashamed enough as is to have our family name connected to a criminal act, much less ask for charity.

I wouldn't give them a dime.

There are plenty of kids out there, good kids, that are busting their asses daily to save up every bit of money they can. On example, a kid who worked nearly full time, started a business, graduated in the top 5%, and never had time to go to a party or football game much less have time to get drunk. If you want to be generous, give them a hand.

I hope the other person has a quick recovery and the 17 yr old gets the book thrown at him.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  6. WarCry

WarCry

Driver had minor injuries, passenger sustained more serious injuries, though I don't believe the details have been released by that family.

This 17-yo wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from his truck, so he had pretty serious injuries.

I heard about the benefit being planned first, and then I read about the circumstances and I was pretty surprised that they would do that, but what do I know...

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

OP, the facts surrounding this traffic crash, which you have ALREADY divulged, make this one a "no-brainer." Good luck sir. :wavey:

8. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Yeah, 17 year olds make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. That doesn't mean I'm going to reward them for their mistakes. Especially when it's attempted murder.

No help from me.

9. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Several years ago, a popular local musician got wasted, totalled a new car sans any type of insurance, piled up the hospital bills, just generally screwed up.

Someone threw a benefit concert for him to raise some cash. Hell...... he even played guitar at the benefit albeit wearing a neck brace.

He is and was a nice enough fellow, but I did not attend or contribute any $.

10. jp3975

jp3975

Well...the kids folks are on the hook for the $$$. Might not be their fault.

I probably wouldnt give anything though.

11. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Consequences. What are they again?

12. MARKDANIEL

MARKDANIEL

This!

13. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

Screw 'em I say. I've worked enough DUI crashes that I've lots sympathy for drunks of all ages.

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

You can bet this wasn't just a teenager making a one time "mistake" and you can bet the parents knew the kid drank.
    IMO drunk driving is attempted murder.

So No, I wouldn't help them a bit.
    I would help the people that the drunk hurt though.

15. silentpoet

silentpoet

Might mail them a penny.

16. Cmacc

Cmacc

If they were family or close friends I would call, visit, offer a helping hand with something they needed done. It would include conversations about responsibility and lessons learned, etc.
    I would be looking for credible signs of contrition before considering a higher level of support/assistance.

If it were simply someone in the community I would not send money or items for fund raisers nor would I attend such. If I were a business owner...ain't no way I'm involving the business in this.

17. Lampshade

Lampshade

:upeyes:

Let's charge everyone who has had an ND with 'attempted murder' also.

An act might be negligent, reckless, and wrong, but that doesn't mean it was intended to kill somebody.

18. Viper16

Viper16

Kids are kids, they make mistakes. It is said that there was not enough common sense in the kids brain at the age of 17 to not make the choices he did.

I wouldn't mail him anything.

19. Patchman

Patchman Florist

If would be a class act if the at-fault 17 y.o.'s family donated whatever $ they raised to the driver and passenger of the other car.

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

A ND is a "accident", which anyone can possibly have while doing a legal act. It is a "mistake".

Driving drunk is a "decision" you make that puts other people at risk of being killed because you are a a** h*** that wants to drive drunk or high.
    At the very least drink driving should be considered attempted Manslaughter. If you kill someone it should be a murder charge.
    No different than standing in the street randomly firing a gun.