close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bench Relationship to Overhead Strength...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Oct 11, 2006.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

A few quick Q's..... For those of you that bench, about what is your bench to press ratio?

Do you find that when your bench goes up, your overhead strength goes up too?

Thanks,
    Jack

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I think when my bench goes up, my shoulder press goes up as well.

But this might be subjective as I work everything equally, and do seem to get stronger equally over my whole body.

Since I don't bench with a bar (only dumbells or occasional smith machine) I can only compare weights I use wih dumbells.

Currently benching 100 lb dumbells for 10 reps, and doing shoulder presses with 70 lb dumbells for 10 reps.

I might have had a better example about a year ago.

I had torn miniscus (sp?) in my shoulder. It only hurt with shoulder presses, and never bothered me during benching. So I never worked my shoulders specifically for quite a while, about 8 months while it healed.

My benching increased slowly as usual. When I started working my shoulders again i started off light, and progressively got up to my old capacities, and pushed right past them and was using weight I had never used before (primarily with barbell shoulder presses).

Sorry for being long winded.:supergrin:

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Thanks for the input BCR.

4. DBradD

DBradD

I don't do either any more, but in the old days, I benched 300 and could overhead press about 200 at 181. That would be 1.5. No clue if there was a correlation between the two.

Edit: One thing I've started to wonder about some lately are the claims by Furey and others that BP is bad for the shoulder. I have to say that my shoulders always hurt from BP although never bad enough to make me quit. I've been doing lots of higher rep pushups and handstand pushups (sets of 8-20 depending on how tired I am) over the last few months and my shoulders feel great, even though I'm old now. Not saying this means anything conclusive--just an observation.