close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bench question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Timothy658, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

Ive noticed a difference between my dads bench, and my friends bench. On my friends bench, the stands that hold the bar are further apart, so they hold the bar closer to the ends. On my dads bench, these stands are narrower. What is the reason for that? I would think the bench with the wider stands would be more stable. My first thougth was my dads bench was made for a standard bar, and not an olympic, but he has been using an olympic bar on it since he's had it with no problems. Any ideas?

2. DBradD

DBradD

By "closer," how much closer? Standard gym-quality benches seem to have the stands fairly consistently spaced, near the ends of the bar. Are you talking about one of those cheapo benches with the stands about 12"-15" apart? You're definitely correct about the wider spacing resulting in more stability.

DBD

3. Timothy658

Timothy658

By closer, I mean each stand is probably a few inches in compared to my friends bench. When I grip the bar, I grip it with my pinky finger on those rings on the bar, and I asked my dad if this is possible on his bench, and he said it was. So, the stands aren't too close, but just a bit more than my friends bench.

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found