Ben Stoeger’s Dots drill

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mr Meeseeks, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

https://www.benstoeger.com/livefire-drill-the-dots/

Setup Notes:

This drill requires the use of two inch diameter dots. I have sheets of them available on BenStoeger.com. They can be printed off and attached to a USPSA cardboard target. You could also craft a stencil and paint 2 inch dots on targets using spray paint. There are a number of solutions available, be creative. The bottom line is you need a two inch circle to shoot at.

Procedure:
    Starting with your hands at sides, draw and engage one dot with 6 rounds. You do not transition between dots, you only engage one. There is a five second par time for this drill. Give yourself a .3 second grace period for overtime shots (anything 5.31 or over will be overtime).

This drill is multi-string. You repeat shooting six rounds into one dot six times, for a total of 36 rounds fired.

This drill is pass/fail. If you get 36 hits, you pass. If you get less than 36 hits, you fail.

Score the dots like you would a USPSA target. That means a hit where the bullet radius touches the outside line of the dot counts as a hit (the bullet doesn’t need to hit entirely within the dot).

Focus:
    This drill tests skills similar enough to a 25 yard bill drill, but there is an added element of consistency required. The goal here isn’t to shoot hits on the dots, it is to not shoot misses. To successfully go 36/36 on this drill requires you be something of a machine.

Goal:
    Once again, 36/36
    —————————

I can tell this is going to be an enjoyable, frustrating drill. Printed out the PDF on card stock. I did it today from low ready (only care about GSSF practice until I make Master); finishing well under the 5 second par time each time. One run at 7 yards and one run at 5 yards. Definitely teaches you about grip, sight tracking etc. It dawned on me driving back from the range that what really messed up my accuracy was when my vision got distracted from the front sight, looking at bullet holes instead. I recommend trying this drill, it’s harder than it looks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ObiJuan likes this.
  2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Seems like it would be heavily draw dependent, such as not from concealment.

Is it 5 yards or 7 yards?

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Stoeger said on his podcast just take .5 seconds off par for low ready. The real challenge is 7 yards but 5 is a nice confidence booster practice.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  4. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  5. jr24

jr24

Certainly worth a try.

Been working on my 7 yard dot torture drills and usually have 3 misses (47/50) usually on the off handed dot.

This should add more time pressure. Next time I hit the range I'll give it a shot!

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  6. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

try the dot torture test

Mr Meeseeks likes this.