Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, admit to biases up front.

I'm a leather snob. I can't resist the human element of fine craftsmanship coupled with the beauty of a natural material like animal hides. If you like kydex holsters or nylon web belts, well, I guess they work, but I will never buy anything but fine leather for my holsters and belts. You just can't beat the feel, the look, the smell IMHO.

That's why I'm a loyal Beltman customer. I just received my fifth one, a beautiful tan 1.5" bullhide with stiffener. I specified reinforced bull simply because I was curious as to which was stiffer: reinforced bull or unreinforced horse. Anyone care to guess?

Now this isn't scientific and all leathers soften and break-in, even horsehide. The horsehide belt in this comparison is maybe 8-9 months old and hasn't been worn a lot, but, seems softer than when new. The bullhide+stiffener just arrived today, so obviously, very stiff and not broken in (I did wear it for about five hours prior to the pic-if that matters). I don't know if this picture really means anything or not but it was the best way I could come up with to compare the relative stiffness.

You can see the black horse belt hanging completely inside the reinforced tan bullhide. The horse certainly feels a bit limp compared to the bull but again maybe that's just because the bull is new.

The real test is next: taking on my high rise OWB High Noon Slide Guard and G30SF. I will update after carrying.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Interesting idea. However, I think comparing the stiffness along the length of the belts, like you're doing here, isn't as important as the stiffness across the width of the belt; that's what supports the gun, imo.

I have two Beltman belts purchased a year apart. The first one is a 1 1/4" bullhide and the second is a 1 1/2" bullhide. The 1 1/4" is definitely more pliable along its length, having been worn near daily for a year. However, the lateral rigidity of both belts is similar, the 1 1/2" belt being slightly more rigid due to the wider width.

I would like to purchase another belt later this year, a 1 1/2" black horsehide belt with stiffener and taper.

FWIW, I have a 5-stitch Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt, and I much prefer the Beltman belts.

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have three 1.25" Beltman belts and there is no question width is the single most important factor in gun support when you're talking leather belts. Wider is always stronger than narrower, horse is always stiffer than bull or cow and an internal stiffener is probably a good idea for any belt that you plan to carry OWB with.

DONT FORGET: blue Locktite on the Chicago screws!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I realize that I'm usually in the minority but I strongly prefer 1 3/4" belts. They fit the loops of all my jeans, casual khakis and shorts and the width seems to support the weight of the firearm much better. I have one Beltman bullhide with the stiffener and one without and I can't tell any difference carrying the same firearm and the belts have similar amounts of wear.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have three 1.25" Beltman belts and there is no question width is the single most important factor in gun support when you're talking leather belts. Wider is always stronger than narrower, horse is always stiffer than bull or cow and an internal stiffener is probably a good idea for any belt that you plan to carry OWB with.

DONT FORGET: blue Locktite on the Chicago screws!

Wish I had remembered this.

I lost one screw the first day I wore it.

Luckily I had another from another belt and put Loctite on both and has been good for a year or 2.

Have noticed the stiffness is not like when new but is still plenty stiff.

er uh

Talking about BELTS here

get ya'lls minds out a the gutter!
:supergrin:

·
Banned
5,375 Posts
Hmm. Beltman makes a quality belt, no doubt, but it's far from "fine" leather.

What kind of holsters you use?

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Read things a little more carefully, please. I said "fine craftsmanship" which I stand by. Do you own a Beltman? All you have to do is examine the stitching and edge treatments. I'm sure he uses good leather too.

Not sure what difference it makes on which holsters I like in this thread about the differences between Beltman constructions but, I'm well known for my preference for holsters made by Gary Brommeland.

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I realize that I'm usually in the minority but I strongly prefer 1 3/4" belts. They fit the loops of all my jeans, casual khakis and shorts and the width seems to support the weight of the firearm much better. I have one Beltman bullhide with the stiffener and one without and I can't tell any difference carrying the same firearm and the belts have similar amounts of wear.
No doubt, wider is stronger. But, 1.75 simply won't fit in nicer wool slacks and suits and some of us would like to wear a gun belt with those clothes. Some would begin to object to the styling of that wide a belt. I feel safe in saying all IWB's will be fine with a 1.5" double layer bullhide belt. There may be a few high ride OWBs for large heavy guns where you need more support.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you say how much thinckness the stiffener adds?

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Simply Charming
4,883 Posts
I bought a horsehide belt because I read on here that it would be "significantly stiffer" than the bullhide belt. It arrived, and I carried with it daily for about a month. I ran into a semi-emergency situation and had to order a quick-ship black, bullhide belt. It arrived and I've carried daily with one or the other ever since.

Owning both, I can tell you that there is little, if any, discernible difference between the two. If I had to make a judgment call, I would actually say the bullhide is a bit "stiffer" than the horsehide.

I would still gladly order either belt again, as I feel The Beltman makes a fine product. If you read through his website, however, you will see that even The Beltman himself believes his bullhide belts to be sufficient.

·
Banned
5,237 Posts
Read things a little more carefully, please. I said "fine craftsmanship" which I stand by. Do you own a Beltman? All you have to do is examine the stitching and edge treatments. I'm sure he uses good leather too.

Not sure what difference it makes on which holsters I like in this thread about the differences between Beltman constructions but, I'm well known for my preference for holsters made by Gary Brommeland.

JMO, but samuse is right: Beltman belts are 'good,' but they are not exactly top-drawer. Not in materials or craftsmanship. Photos - including those on the Beltman's site - clearly show this. In addition, bullhide is BS, IMO: Marketing hype, no more, no less.

As to the holster question, it is relevant to the extent that one's choice in holsters often reflects one's choice of belts. In addition, since both are part of a system, I think it makes perfect sense to consider and/or discuss them in parallel.

:wavey:

·
Banned
5,237 Posts
I realize that I'm usually in the minority but I strongly prefer 1 3/4" belts. They fit the loops of all my jeans, casual khakis and shorts and the width seems to support the weight of the firearm much better...
I used to feel the same way (and still do to some extent), but I have lately gotten used to wearing a 1½-inch belt, at least when toting a featherweight heater.

When going 'heavy,' I still prefer a 1¾-inch belt with most holsters.

:wavey:

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JMO, but samuse is right: Beltman belts are 'good,' but they are not exactly top-drawer. Not in materials or craftsmanship.
AC, you make me very concerned that I have mislead many people on GT. Please tell me which model Beltman you own and how long you've used it so that we can understand your statements above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts