Belt suggestions needed please

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by pdblue, Feb 11, 2010.

1. pdblue

pdblue

I carry a G19 in an MTAC and am looking for a good carry belt. I don't want to spend a huge amount of $$ but am looking for something that is quality. I have read about Wilderness belts and wondered if the standard 3 stitch or sturdier 5 stitch would be better. If you use the Wilderness belt, what are your impressions and suggestions? Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

2. 1canvas

1canvas

i bought a wilderness 1.5 with the stiffener using it for my 23 and i think its too stiff. i will probably be buying a 5 stitch next. great belt though. i like the idea you are not stuck with set holes for adjustments.

3. The Habit

The Habit كافر

I use both Beltman and Rafter S belts. They are both very good but I personally prefer the Rafter S belt. The Rafter S belt has remained stiff as a board for years.

4. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

Try a crossbreed belt. I have one and it is great. Very comfortable, distributes weight well. Good price.

5. RBL525

RBL525

6. CBennett

CBennett

I got a wilderness 5 stitch trainer it was around $37-40

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

In my opinion...

Good - Wilderness 1.5in Instructor - Get the 5stitch. Great casual, carry belt. Some are turned off by the velcro, but the buckle is rock solid in holding this belt. http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43

Gooder - Aker B21 - A very nice, 1.5in leather belt w/ a internal stiffener. Not the quality of a custom belt, but a very good belt, and at a price very close to the Wilderness. Great choice if you want "cheap" leather. http://www.copquest.com/24-0500.htm

Goodest - The Beltman - Great, custom belt. More expensive than the other two belts, but also outstanding quality and has that "will last forever" feel to it. I'd get the 1.5in bullhide belt, you can get the internal stiffener if you want, but its not necessary... http://thebeltman.net

I don't think you'll go wrong w/ any of the 3 above.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This has been brought up many times on this forum, but its just something to think about... If you can roll a belt up and it hold like that for a picture... then how stiff can it really be? I'll guarantee you my Beltman and Wilderness belts would never do that.

IGF

9. elsolo

elsolo

5.11 has a 1.5" leather belt that is VERY stiff, it has a plastic liner in it.
    It provides as much holster support as my CR-Speed competition gunbelt.
    I have never tried it IWB, but it's great for OWB.

They retail at $35-40, but I got a "free" one with the purchase of $25 5.11 pants from LA police supply a while back; now I have four of them which should last quite a while.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Lot of conflicting reviews on that belt, and I've had my own personal experiences with it...

Glad its working for you..

IGF

11. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

ftw...

12. RBL525

RBL525

They can do a lot of things to stage for a picture. All I do know, is I use it. I often wear it for entire days, and it holds my G19 with no sagging. It is comfortable, and isn't that easy to roll up. It looks like the hooked the belt into itself to hold it for the picture.

The original post asked for suggestions, I told him what i use and like. It is also affordable which is another thing asked in the OP. I know it isn't the best gun belt out there, but I believe it is one of the best for the price.

If you don't like it, that is fine, I use it, I like it, and that is why I recommended it as an option to look into.

If you read the reviews of it many of the ones who reviewed it poorly gave it a low rating because it was too stiff. There are 84 reviews if you would care to look at them. it has 4 out of 5 stars, and would be higher if the people who reviewed it low for being too stiff were removed.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Don't take it so personal, its just been an observation I've made over the years on many belts. Even staging it, would require the belt to loop up. Like I said, none of my belts will do that. I give Democrats more credibility than customer ratings, unless its somewhere like here on GT, etc. You do realize how easy it is for companies to have CSR's sign on and give good reviews don't you? I've saw this happen at a computer parts retailer. I checked an item about 2 days before, and it was at 2 stars, a few days later I signed on and happened to look at it again, and it was at almost 5 stars...

Again, just food for thought..

IGF

14. ODG23

ODG23

I've been wearing a 1.5" 5 stitch Wilderness Instructor belt for almost 4 years. It holds my holster and gun very securely and the velcro is still strong. It no longer fits me well so I need to buy another belt soon and I'll be getting another Wilderness.

15. PoorSSJ

PoorSSJ

I also have a 511 belt, and the plastic stiffener inside of it has broke in 3 places, making the belt look funny with some sharp angles

16. RBL525

RBL525

I understand the possibility of skewing the review stats. That is why i read every negative comment and often disregard the positive ones. The negative reviews were little things and none about it sagging or not holding a holster well. There was one about it being too thick for a cell phone clip.

i know it loops up. There is no insert, and it is just double leather. The 1.5 inch double width leather doesn't sag for me.

17. 05FLHT

05FLHT

I can also vouch for the Wilderness belt, at least the 5 Stitch Instructor. The belt is of very good quality and plenty stiff with the 5 Stitch. You could go with the CFM insert if you wanted, but I really think it's unnecessary unless you plan to hang a cannon from it. As far as the buckle, I think bullet proof would be a more than adequate description.

It may not be as fancy looking as some of the leather belts, but it doesn't come with the fancy price tag either. If you like me and don't tuck in your shirt much (read ever), you can't go wrong for the price.

18. elsolo

elsolo

I think I would have thrown it away after the first breakage.

I don't think it's worth anywhere near the MSRP, but I got four of them basically for free, so I gotta use them until they wear out cause I'm a cheap bastard.
    I am still on the first one, but it's only been six months so I don't have any long term durability or expected lifespan experience. It's nice so far :dunno:

It does support an OWB holster very well (until the stiffener breaks apparently).
    It's pretty decent looking, I can't bring myself to wear a nylon belt with velcro on a daily basis with a shirt tucked in.

19. sean665

sean665 Semper Fortis

I have a 5.11 trainer, I believe it's 1.5 in, works very well but is narrow enough to fit through any belt loops.

20. glockkramer

glockkramer

I have a 1.5" 5-stitch Wilderness Instructors belt and it does a great job. I messed up and bought a Beltman 1.25" bullhide belt and now my Wilderness belt gets no more love, unless I'm running the chainsaw or weedeater. I really wish Wilderness would offer a 1.25" Instructor's belt. For the price, Wilderness can't be beat.