Belly Band vs Clip Draw?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by xdime, Feb 6, 2010.

1. xdime

xdime Drunken Sailor

:wavey:Which would you prefer and why? I am thinking of purchasing one of the two but can't decide which yet.

2. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

If those are the only two that you are considering, the Clipdraw might be a little more versitile than the belly band, unless you had to worry about tucking in your shirt. It might be a little more comfortable too, especially in warmer weather, and would be easier to get to your gun if you needed to. Just make sure you're wearing a good carry belt to make sure it stays secure.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Belly band will be harder to get out quickly.

4. Kabarred

Kabarred

i have a clipdraw for my 21. I dont ever use it, but it conceals better than any holster ive ever tried.. pretty much because there isn't a holster... The only issue is carrying one in the chamber with an exposed trigger.

5. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

I hate the belly band - I am not a quick draw mindset kind of guy but the belly band was too difficult to get to quickly. Never used the clip but to be honest even with that being said I would rec the clip vs belly band. It does conceal well enough - draw can be a little slow and one handed holstering is difficult if not impossible IMHO.

6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

You've limited yourself between poor and horrible. I'm sure there's a reason a proper holster isn't an option. Between the two, one is difficult to access, the other is patently unsafe, obviously so to anyone but a novice, at least for chambered carry. The belly band would be far better, but I hope you'd consider an ankle rig, or a holster t-shirt (tight fitting, with under the armpit holster, to be worn under a shirt). Our armor supplier gives us a few of the holster shirts free each year with vest orders.

7. xdime

xdime Drunken Sailor

I was looking at those for using in running clothes, or very light clothing situations. They are cheap enough so if I didnt use it very much I wouldnt be mad. I knew about the risk with the clip draw having an exposed trigger so it wouldn't of been carried with one in the chamber. But with this advice I might look somewhere else now. Thanks guys

8. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

That is patently untrue, obviously, given the number of folks who are not novices and regularly carry quite safely in that manner.

Regarding the OP, either will work for you, but they really have different goals. The Clip-draw provides minimal coverage/concealement with easy presentation for IWB carry, the bellyband offers extensive coverage and maximum concealement with a more difficult presentation from deep cover. I've used both but for very different situations. If yo are running, I think I'd go with the band.

9. JimK

JimK

I`m trying to figure whats so wrong with a belly band? You can wear it almost any where on your body from hip to under arm from 12 oclock and anything in between . I was considering a belly band to wear at the 4 oclock position just above the belt line, basically where a in waist band holster would lie for me. Reason being , no belt clips to show, very thin no bulk, easy to change to other position on the waist (say more toward 3 oclock when seated in car) . So what am I missing here?Is this going to be a problem?

10. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

No, it is not going to be a problem. It is a good example of people downgrading something because it doesn't fit their particualr needs, IMO. It is not a fast draw design and some dislike that in spite of the fact that a fast draw is rarely indicated, others dislike it because it is not leather or Kydex, or a myria of other reasons. Like the clip-draw, the belly band is an alternative that has a long history of successful use behind it. Too many people ignore the last part of that sentence when discussing things. Try it, see if you like it.

11. drider

drider

Hmm, you said running? Why not get a friendly looking white towel and just wrap your hopefully small firearm inside the towel, when you go for a run? But on the other hand, clip draw no way for running very insecure, and belly band may be better if you are running.

12. dakrat

dakrat

I use a smartcarry for my G27 when I wear no belt clothes. it conceals really deep :). the clipdraw seemed like it it doesnt hold the gun in place, it could tilt front and back with movements which would make you correct it more and defeats the purpose of concealed carry when someone see you doing so.

13. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Agree. Between the two, belly band for sure.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I have a SmartCarry for sports clothes. In my opinion it's much better than a
    Clipdraw. Unless you are nuts, or just don't care about them,
    you're going to need to cycle a cartridge into the chamber with the Clipdraw.

15. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

Have any of you bad mouthing the clipdraw ever worn one? I've got one on right now. It's very secure and unless you miraculously grow a finger out of your hip, nothing is going to cause your gun to go off. The trigger lies directly under your belt. I do have my belt on secure, but not overly tight and nowhere near uncomfortable. It has never moved and holds the same cant that I put it in at. Around the house I've had it on with my pajama pants on and it's hanging on the string. I don't have one in the chamber with my pajama pants on though. :whistling:

16. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Correct. The clip is a joke for chambered carry. I tried one. I also have a Kel-tec that came one. Laughable. No susbstitute for a quality holster.

17. heliguy

heliguy

Definitely the Clipdraw, I use it all the time on my G27. But, be sure to get the Siderlock manual safety trigger because the trigger is exposed.

www.Siderlock.com

18. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Definitely a poor plan A. An adding gimmicks to compensate for the inherent shortcomings of the clip makes as much sense as using an eyepatch to make drunk driving less unsafe. To do so ignores the underlying poor choice.