close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Belly band holster

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NowAGlocker, Feb 4, 2010.

1. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Does anyone have experience with this type holster? I have a Smart Carry and was looking for another option. What are the best. I know Galco and Desantis have them. What say you?

2. viniglock

viniglock

I like them, have been using it since 1992 and very comfortable and you can use with almost any clothing,. Make sure that if you buy a Galco to contact them for measurements since they run small. I bought one and did not fit. I have to step up one size. There is another manufacture that makes the is called Active Pro Gear Deep Concealment Holster. I like the setting, use them when I go to the park and around the house or when I use sweats pants or shorts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010

3. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I had a DeSantis model for 2 days. It didn't work for me. I returned it for two magazines. :supergrin: I might try smart carry.

4. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I've only had this PT-ONE CHL Holster a few weeks. So far it's great.
    I have carried a full size 1911 and my new S&W 642 Centennial Airweight.
    http://www.pistolwear.com/

I have never tried any other bellyband holster so I can't compare.

5. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

A bellyband holster is a very good piece of kit to keep available for those times when you would not otherwise be able to carry a concealed handgun on your person.

I have worn a Gould & Goodrich Bodyguard bellyband extensively in office and more casual environments. Concealment is very good if you choose your wardrobe correctly and figure out the correct placement of the handgun.

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

They aren't as bad as the crotch carry rigs.

7. Aurora

Aurora

Signs of experience.

V.

8. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

I agree that "crotch carry" (Smart Carry) is far from the greatest, most comfortable method.
    This question was also for a possible alternative carry method for my wife. Sometimes purse-carry is not that user friendly or accessible. It also adds quite a bit of weight to her purse to where she is more likely not to wear it on her person (like carrying it in the cart at the grocery store. I guess I should have couched the question for female input in the subject line.

9. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Uncomfortable for me. It's gathering dust in my closet.

10. viniglock

viniglock

If you did not like the belly band is possible that you may not like the under the belly system.

11. viniglock

viniglock

I'll take from you for $ 4.95 shipped!

12. viniglock

viniglock

This is nice, better than a fanny pack.

13. Americanpatriot

Americanpatriot

I forgot which brand I used to use, I want to say desantis or galco.It had a thumb retention snap for the gun which I liked.I was pretty heavy back then and even with my big gut it wasn't bad.its nice to use for ultra concealment when you have more challenging clothing attire like shorts or no belt etc.I've used it for duty sized pistols as well with good result.The only problem I've had is the magazine holder area,just used a friction fit with the tension of the bellyband elastic,and glock mags were fine,but stuff like metal mags for the xd and hk etc, I had them work their way out pop out and onto the floor in parking lots and stores.One time the mag popped apart and I was chasing loose rounds on the floor in Target :upeyes: but I do like the carry method overall.hope this helped.

14. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Thanks for the different suggestions. I guess I am leaning toward a Galco. Of course it has to be the most expensive of the lot.

15. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

I've used a belly band for a few years now when I run or work out at the gym. I bought a cheaper version from a local gun show and it's now starting to fray around the edges. I'll probably pick up a Galco soon because the material seems to be better.

I recently purchased the PT-ONE CHL from Pistolwear also, and for working there is a noticeable difference in comfort. The material feels much better. The only issue I've found with it when working out in the gym is if you're doing exercises or a lot of bending/sitting you may have to adjust it so that it sits higher on your waist.

Before when I wore my belly band I was always very cognizant of bending over because I was concerned with printing, but with the PT-ONE CHL I don't really worry about it. While running trails I hardly notice my .38 S&W. It sits firmly, but very comfortable in the PT-ONE CHL. It's like a fanny pack, but very slim.

I will also somewhat agree with one of the other posters about magazines fall out of the belly band. I only had my knife slip out one day while running, so after that I was always very cognizant of ensuring my spare mag and knife were seated securely. With the PT-ONE you don't have to worry about that.

My wife doesn't like to wear her belly band much because she says it's uncomfortable and scratches her. It's still a good option and you can find them fairly cheap.

VMP

16. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Okay, explain something to me about the PT-One. It goes under your clothing, right? Also, how is it secured in the pouch; Velcro, zipper, elastic...

17. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

The video for the PT-One seems to show that one cannot get a firing grip when drawing. Is that correct?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  18. JimK

JimK

Saw that video too. In both scenarios he was taking the gun out pinching the slide with 2 fingers. That was enough to rule out this one .:sad:

19. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

It looks like the Trump Card model, though less secure, allows for a firing grip.

20. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

To answer the questions posed about the PT-ONE:

1. Yes, it goes under your clothing like a belly band. I have been wearing the weapon like they show in the video, but have started to shift it to the right slightly.

2. I angle my weapon so the grip is on my strong side and up as much as possible. You can reach in to grasp a full grip on the weapon. It's like reaching into a pocket. The most reliable way to grasp the weapon is the use your support hand to grab the front of your clothes and the outside of the PT-ONE and pull them out while reaching into it. It's kind of like reaching into a pocket, but unless your outer garment is tight your hand can slide right into it. I have done one-handed draws with no problem.

3. The material is essentially the same material many running or workout clothes are made of now. It's very breathable, more so than the belly band. It has velco that "sticks" to the material the PT-ONE is made of.

Like I said before, it's more comfortable than the belly band I have.

VMP