Being prepared = Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 23, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Even though I am a pretty optimistic person, I get a certain amount of satisfaction being prepared for horrible events that I do not believe will ever happen. I am a big believer in being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. That way if bad things happen you are ready and if good things happen you are pleasantly surprised.

Because of this I put quite a bit of thought in how a person can best be prepared to defend themselves in bad times. It is almost like a fun game...a game that may someday save your life.

I have been thinking two things as of late. One, that a person is best served if they are capable of making use of as many calibers as they can in case they have to make due with whatever ammo comes along. Two, when it comes to being prepared it does not matter if a gun is pretty or not.

Everyone knows I love good looking guns. I have a very nice collection of stainless beauties, but as of late I have been starting to realize that beauty is not needed in defense. I still like my good looking guns and think they are still great self defense guns. I would never diss the 1911, Kahr pistols, or Sig P229 as far a personal defense is concerned. I just think that in a really bad situation I might actually prefer to have something like a Glock. Something lighter, durable, reliable, and high capacity. Also something that is made even more valuable by being able to accept multiple calibers with a barrel change. To this end I have decided to round out my collection by putting together a little "Glock shelf" inside my gun safe. It will be sort of a collection inside a collection. It will be my SHTF collection for lack of a better term.

Here is what I am thinking as far as the collection goes. Glock 29 and Glock 20 for the times we need big power. That way we have one for me and one for my partner that can shoot my 10mm stuff. A Glock 22 and Glock 23 with .357sig conversion barrels for each so that we would both have a gun capable of utilizing both .40S&W and .357sig ammo. A Glock 21 and Glock 30 to make use of the common .45acp ammo we might be able to find. Then a Glock 26 and Glock 19 so we have a couple of gun pistols to make use of the 9mm ammo we might come across. I already have the Glock 26, Glock 30SF, Glock 29 and have the Glock 23 on lay-a-way. The rest I would have to pick up. Add to this group the Glock 27/33 that I also already have for a carry gun and I have my tupperware collection completed.

With these guns I feel I would be about as prepared as I could be without going into "gun looney" territory. :)

This also gives me a goal to achieve over the next several months as far as gun purchases go. :)

2. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

FWIW, I'm just about 29, and pretty much a regular joe type of dude, (a sommelier by trade actually) and while I am no major planner I am into survival and especially "what if" preparedness as the next guy, because in this day and age, I firmly believe, WHAT IF, and really, it's only a matter of time. I think it's both naive and negligent to not realize that and take steps accordingly. Your level of preparation will vary according to your beliefs and desire, of course, but I for one want at least some level of preparedness for WHEN, not IF, it's needed in the future.

And my new best friend G23 is certainly part of my "diversified portfolio" for my "long term strategic planning" :) :woohoo:

3. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Don't forget cardio.

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

You don't mention an ammo stash. I would hope that with such an extensive gun collection, you have thousands of rounds securely packed away in various locations. For those of us with just a gun or two, I think you really need to concentrate on the ammo stash first before investing in more guns. Why? In any SHTF scenario I can come up with, ammo is the most vulnerable part of the gun-as-self-defense strategy. Plus, ammo will be very valuable currency to barter for perishables. Further, at age 55, I am hopeful that SHTF won't happen in my lifetime. However, I can see ammo shortages, punitive tax hikes, outlawing JHP, and so on in the very near future. So, stockpiling ammo is the best thing I can do right now to protect myself and my heirs. I disagree somewhat with the multiple cal strategy as I have concentrated on the most common 9mm and .45acp.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

I agree about the multiple calibers. I've endeavored to acquire one of each Glock caliber. I'm picking up a 2nd Gen G20 this week and when my 2010 GSSF certificate gets here, I'll pick up the last caliber that I do not have a Glock for. In fact, I'll probably buy a G21 to trade to someone with a 2nd Gen G21 since I prefer the earlier models. (It's not just about the "complete" caliber collection with me; I also want the less common older styles.)

While I do have enough ammo for each, I don't have literally thousands of rounds of each caliber. How would you carry it? Imagining the various SHTF scenarios, it seems to me that being mobile and avoiding confrontations would probably be safest. Big deal if you can hole up in your house with eight thousand rounds; one moron with a torch can put an end to your seige.

While carrying six different Glocks (one in each available-in-America caliber) is not exactly any more practical than carrying two thousand bullets for one caliber, I do believe that being fluid in your plans and being adaptable is key. If you're carrying a 9mm and "find" your adversary's 45 ACP stash, what good is it?

In a post apocalyptic society, food, skills, and ammo may be the "coin of the realm". There's way too many variables in what may happen when SHTF, so I'll leave it at that.

As for the "pretty", well for me, Glock's form (beauty) is in its function. Simplicity and dependability are beautiful.

6. Jim S.

Jim S.

What if the SHTF when you are not near your arsenal or anywhere near home?
    It reminds me of a couple of thoughts on this.
    What is a survival knife?
    Any knife you have with you when you need it!!!
    How about this one?
    Beware the man who has but one gun, for he probably knows how to use it.
    Nothing wrong with being prepared. I personally know how to shoot many different weapons and calibers, but I stick to a certain few for my own use.

7. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

That is the reason that I make sure my carry gun (G27), my glove box gun (XD40-SC), and the gun in my survival bag (USPc) are all the same caliber (.40S&W) and why I carry 500 rounds of ammo in a can inside my trunk. If I ever cannot get home do to earthquake or other disaster I have enough firepower to arm myself and my other half for a good while. :)

9. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Why waste money on all these different caliber Glocks when there are more important things to worry about during disasters like food and water? And are you gonna keep enough ammo stashed for each caliber? My plan is to keep 10000 rounds minimum of each caliber which is why I only have 9mm, 22lr, and 00 buckshot at the moment and still haven't hit my minimum.

You are right about the Glock for survival. Visit all the survival forums and Glock is the name that most comes up when people are asked which one handgun they would prefer for a disaster. Stick with one handgun caliber for the moment and stash enough ammo to the point that you would feel safe with during hard times. In the event of a major disaster it may be very difficult to purchase ammo so where else do you plan or resorting for your ammo needs?

10. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

I do have a small stash. I keep about 200-500 rounds of each caliber on hand and I keep larger amounts of my primary calibers. The ones I keep the largest amounts of are .40S&W (2000 rounds), .45acp (1200 rounds), 10mm (800 rounds), .223 (5000 rounds) and .308 (1000). I also keep a couple hundred shotgun shells in stock. Rounds are a mix of about 25% JHP and 75% FMJ. Not a huge stash but I think it will serve me pretty well if even needed.

11. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

Good move although that is a lot of ammo. You gotta have a survival pack and a couple of go to guns in case you have to abandon the vehicle. I carry a Camelback Urban Assault in black, a G17 & G26. Six G17 mags and two G18 mags.

If I have to abandon the vehicle, I can head for home on foot the load is light enough for extended carry but still have enough warmth, food, water and ammo to get through...God willing.

JM2C, HR

12. Kith

Kith

I, too, believe in emergency preparedness. If a SHTF situation arises, you should be as prepared as possible to insure that you can make it through.

The gun part is the last part I got too on that, but arguably the most important if the world goes crazy.

I have two "go bags" as someone mentioned above. They are very important, because you may not have time to pack if the worst happens. One bag is in my truck, the other in my house.

The bags are packed with two spare changes of clothes, in those vacuum seal bags that you suck the air out of to make them smaller, a small first aid kit (both of which have the army rangers medical field guide for other people who might not know first aid), several seperate small waterproof containers full of strike anywhere matches, a few seperate small waterproof containers with lighters, a little bit of rope, compass, a couple of knives and a bag full of power bars.

The bags are military grade acrylic canvas, very durable and reliable. Also have plenty of metal rings on the outside to tie stuff off to if necessary.

I am at the point of adding ammunition to them now, and as my gun collection grows I will be adding guns to the bag in my house, but not the one in my truck. I'll have to depend on my carry weapon to see me through if I can't get back to my house, but it's better then nothing. I don't want to risk losing a firearm to auto theft, which probably will encourage me to carry a BUG on the daily.

I'd like to add a shotgun to the home "go bag" in addition to the handguns slated for it. I think that would round it out nicely and i've got my eyes on a mossberg 590 w/ pistol grip just for that purpose.

Future gun collection is planned to expand from my current (g19, first firearm) to a second g19 right away, the shotty, then several more glocks in the more common calibers. After that i'll take pause and gather more ammunition as I save up for an AR-15, which is something I would take with me if I started from home.

That's the garunteed expansion plan from the survivalist perspective. After the AR-15, the rest is subjective, but purchasing a second mossy would probably be my next purchase before I went back to handguns.

I think emergency preparedness is something everyone should at least consider, and survival training, first aid training, and marksmanship are the three biggest skill sets you can work on to keep yourself in a state of readiness. All the physical stuff to take with you is secondary, but having some supply on the "quick ready" is most helpful.

I also think that a glock handgun is the best choice for a handgun to keep with this sort of setup, given all we know about their endurance and reliability. Having a supply of ammunition to start with is critical, because without bullets the gun is just a really pretty rock.

My take on ammunition is that after the basic survival gear (listed above) you should fill the bag with as much as you can managably carry. It's unrealistic to assume someone who drives to an office everyday and doesn't exercise much can carry a 60ish pound pack and make good time, but if you train to be able to, that's the average weight to shoot for. The survival gear and guns themselves don't take up a lot of that weight, which leaves much room for ammo and food.

Bottom line, I agree with having multiple calibers to be able to take advantage of what you can find, but there has to be a realistic limit on how much you can reasonably take with you. It's better to have the option up front to decide at the last minute what you want to leave behind, instead of wishing you had that 'one more thing' to take with you when the time comes.

I support the OP in having all of the different calibers available, because when the time comes he can always decide that some of them are too much to take with (if on foot) and opt to leave them behind. If a vehichle is an option when the time comes, it's realistic to take it all with you - and better to have and not need then need and not have.

Edited to add:
    Forgot to mention, I have several empty canteens in each bag, and a small bivouac shelter in each one. The bivvy shelter is small enough to fit almost completely in a cargo pocket of my pants, sticks out a little bit at the top. I also have a dozen bottles of iodine and a dropper in a little baggy for purifying water on the go, without having to stop and boil it.

Can't imagine why I forgot to mention those things, but since I put everything else out there for completeness sake I had to edit for accuracy.

~Kith

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  13. robertwh

robertwh

Glocks are great for being prepared for defending ourselves and loved ones in this present evil world... but being right with God through Jesus Christ is as prepared as person can be... I like your bible verse...:wavey:

14. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Greatwun said it very well ....

I'm planning on my G23 (and perhaps more Glocks in the future, but my G23 is going to be my primary everything) ... , a 12-gauge shotgun, hopefully a scoped .308 rifle (just in case) and a 22LR ... and I will concentrate on slowly but surely building up around those.

Would I like to have a Glock in 9MM, .40, .45, .357, .380, etc? Sure, cause I now love Glocks etc. but not necessary and certainly not part of my preparedness planning or as I like to put it my "diversified portfolio" of preparedness..

15. MarcellusT

MarcellusT

Good response. I think that's rule #1 when the zombies attack. They go for the fatties first.

16. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

As well they should...all the flavor of a steak is in the fat. Everyone knows that. :)

17. firedawg60

firedawg60

:goodpost:

18. jesse2205

jesse2205

:perfect10: best survival advise I've heard

19. chauncey

chauncey

imo, the right rifle selection and ammo stash is far more important than what you have for your pistols

even a Rem 870 is a far more effective weapon in this situation than any pistol

20. Jim S.

Jim S.

You need a small caliber rifle for smaller game, and a larger caliber rifle for larger game.
    A good shotgun and a good handgun.
    Lots of ammo and a place to keep all of this.
    Water is the most important need with food a close second. Medicines and first aid are important too.
    Anyone living out in the country is far better off than us city dwellers. That is until the zombies run out of supplies and head out to your area.
    Road warriors comes to mind and I'm not sure if that is survivable for very long.