close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Being nice to people feels good... :)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbhracing, Mar 8, 2010.

1. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Last week-
    I was in line to buy something, the guy infront of me had a rung up total of $10.04 and was looking for 4 cents to pay the bill. Looks like he didnt have it and I said out of the blue- "Heres 4 cents" out of my pocket. I didnt really think much about it, just that its a pain to carry change around and HE was doing me the favor.

Today-
    I bought like $40 of self sticking stamps and was slapping them on my 20 or so envelopes in the post office before stuffing them in the slot. There was a long line and this elderly Gentleman was patiently waiting to just buy one stamp. Once I heard him say that to the Clerk, I walked over and gave him one of mine and he was like floored.

I said- Why wait in line for one stamp? Here is one and handled it over. He was shocked. For me, time is money and the guy was wasting his time waiting in line. The other people in the Post Office were looking at me like...hmmm... shocked.

Both incidents were really no big deal, I think people should just help out when they can. I didnt really think much about it until now. Why am I even telling these two short stories? Because most of the GTers in here would have done the exact same thing!:supergrin:

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Smashy

Smashy

Thanks, I'll send you a check for that four cents.

3. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Doing things like that is instinctive to some people and completely foreign to others. I'll let you guess which group I prefer to be around.

4. Kona

Kona

You are right. I believe our fellow GTers have a better grip on life than most people in our country do. Im glad to see that there are more people in our country who do try to do the right thing because we all know its the small things in life that are important. Just yesterday, I gave an elderly lady a ride home who was walking outside carrying multipul bags of groceries down the sidewalk. My girlfriend asked me "arent you worried about picking up strangers?" and I replied "not elderly women!" But you are correct in the fact that it does feel good to do the right thing....

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

6. sawgrass

sawgrass

Nice Thread.

Isn't it great to move on with your day, knowing you made someone
    else's day a little better? We live in a crazy, complicated world.
    Sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot to really make a difference.

Then there are the times when we show our "lower" selves, and spend
    the whole day second guessing and stewing about it.

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

really depends,

some people are shocked, some are thankful, some feel entitled to it, others are revolted / mad at you for helping, .. it can swing a broad spectrum ..

8. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I put my change in the tin box at Micky D's. It feels good. But 20 minutes after those sliders hit the spot, the feeling quickly fades.

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good job Brett:supergrin::wavey:

10. cruz lee

cruz lee

more of this would be nice for all!!:supergrin:

11. RioKid

RioKid

Good on you. :yourock: Seriously, we need more of this in today's world.

12. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Random acts of kindness. It's what to do today! TBH, good on ya. You get to put on your white hat again today.

Not only does it help someone else to do something nice, but the do-er gets to feel good too. Win-win, I like that. There are some folks who do nice things on the sly, 'cause they get to see some funny reactions from the beneficiary.

13. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

A couple of weeks ago, I was exiting the local WalleyWorld when the man in front of me pulled his car keys out of his pocket and a wad of cash fell out as he rapidly walked away.
    A couple of nearby people seemed to be transfixed by the sight of the cash and I tried to get the mans attention as he kept walking away. I picked up the money and again repeated "SIR!" and finally caught up with him.
    The look on his face as I handed him the cash was priceless. It made me feel good for the rest of the day.

14. TLeath

TLeath NRA Member

Here's something that I've done on a number of occasions, the most recent being last Friday night.

Whenever my wife and I go out to eat (not real often but not rare either) I scan the restaurant for anyone in uniform. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine, doesn't matter. I especially look for older retired guys that are still proud enough of their service that they wear some piece of clothing (usually a hat) that denotes their service. I then flag down the manager and tell them to put that table's tab on mine. I never directly talk to the person(s) that I'm treating but rather just ask the manager to tell them that someone, without naming who, in the restaurant appreciates them and thanks them for serving.

My reward? Well, if you've never seen an elderly retired serviceman suddenly snap to attention and firmly shake someone's hand, in this case the manager's, then you've missed a truly inspiring image.

15. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I was walking behind a 20ish year old woman in the store and a $20 fell out of her pocket. I scooped it up and called for her and told her the 20 fell out of her pocket. She snatched it out of my hand with a scoul on her face and walked off.

I told the back of her head that if I knew she was going to be such a biotch I'd have kept her money.

16. AaronT

AaronT

maybe no one treated her kindly or maybe she was embarrassed or whatever....
    keep doing the right thing.

17. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

The fact that someone would second guess and stew about it shows they are a decent person, otherwise, it wouldn't bother them. We all make mistakes, but a good person knows it and seeks to correct it, and tends to do good more often than not.

Two stories:

I was in Chicago and was walking into a burger joint to get a quick bite. A bum outside asked for money so he could get a meal at the burger place. I told him to wait a minute and I would be back out. I bought my meal and bought him one as well. I handed it to him on the way out and he looked at me puzzled. As I walked away I saw a burger fly by my head and then french fries hit my back. The guy was swearing at me asking why I would by him food when I know he really wanted the money to buy booze.

A few years later I was in Seattle at Ivar's to get some fish and chips and saw a drifter in line picking through a handful of change. He asked me for a dime so he could get a cup of clam chowder - the cheapest thing on the menu. He looked pretty hungry and down on his luck, so I bought him a bowl of claim chowder and an order of fish and chips with a drink. He thanked me and ate - I have never seen someone appreciate food that much.

I will never turn a man down who needs food. I will seldom give money, but I have no problem buying a person a meal if they ask for one. I was very disappointed with the bum in Chicago, but I have run into more types like the drifter in Seattle who are just hungry and want to eat. It would seem wrong not to.

I too believe there are many fine people here on GT. It is a good bunch to associate with.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. johnd

johnd

I frequently pay something or all of the bill of the person ahead of me if it looks like they are struggling financially to come up with the money, especially if its for medicine or basics or similar. Ill not pay for cigarettes or liquor or anything not necessary.
    I guess its 1:3 anger and rebuttal, 1:3 nothing and 1:3 thank me.
    Ill keep on doing it.

19. cmb19

cmb19

Almost every day when I'm waitressing, someone needs a few cents for change and I'll dig it out of whatever tips I have in my pocket. I've never once gotten a heartfelt thank you.
    My favorite customer came up to pay and said he forgot his wallet, so I told him I'd pay for his whole meal..not that it was much anyway, he was actually shocked and only kidding anyway, he had his wallet. He's a Vietnam vet, everyone else is always in their 40s or younger.
    I try to do nice things..even though I am definitely not a nice person..and little things make me happy, I still like having doors held for me and the like. I guess I'm old fashioned for only being 25.

20. farley45

farley45

Good on ya man:wavey:

Sometimes even the smallest acts of kindness can really make someone else's day.

I always try to do good when I can. It is surprising sometimes when people just can't believe that I don't want anything in return. This mostly happens during the winter time because I have a pickup and I keep a log chain in the back. I just tell people to help someone else out when they can and have a nice day.