close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Behavior training my new puppy

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by glock_19guy1983, Jan 2, 2006.

1. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

I bought a mini schnauzer the other day. He is 8 weeks old. He is good natured he is even good around the baby. The problem is He torments my girlfriends cat. The cat is full grown but has had her front claws removed. How do I stop him from atacking the cat? He just looks at me when I say NO and then goes right back to the cat.
    I want to break him of this before he gets any bigger. Other than that he is a great little dog. Has very few accidents in the house and is very playfull and loving to humans.:)

2. XeRoFuN

XeRoFuN

Well, what's interesting about our Beagle (if you know Beagles, they are the most stubborn dog I've owned) was that when we would tell him "No" he would go on his back. He just seemed to have picked it up somehow (he first did it when he was 3 months old). We found this awkward until we read that if you put them on their back when you scold them, that it shows that you are in charge. Just keep him on his back until you tell him "OK." You could probably introduce the cat to him while he's on his back, and if he gets up, scold him and put him back in his place. Maybe you could try that and see how it goes. Good luck!

3. Akita

Akita gone

He's 8 wks old! He's a puppy! He just wants to play! PLEASE dont try to disipline that out of him. Dogs will be there LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG after girlfriends have been dumped (sorry couldnt resist).

Seriously, let him play. If the cat doesnt like it, he'll go somewhere the puppy cant reach him; like a table or a countertop. He IS a cat after all.

4. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Truer words have never been spoken! LOL
    Couldn't resist Akita.
    If you want him to stop and you want to properly housebreak him keep him on the leash attached to you at all times when home. He can still play but he's only got 6ft around you to go. Makes Housebreakin a breeze, and puts most behavoir problems in the past.
    Pm me if you need more help.

5. FPD45

FPD45

My girlfriend has two Mini Schnauzers and two cats. Minis are great dogs. They learn very fast and are easy to train. That said he is a puppy and wants to play. If the cats don't want to be bothered they will just make themselves unavailible. The girlfriends chase her cats nonstop. The older cat doesnt mind them and will actually hang out with them. The younger cat doesn't like them. Funny thing is they don't seem to like him either. That being said I don't like the cats either;f

6. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

well the cat and the dog have gotten a little bit better together. they play together some now. I named him Bismark.