Beginner's Armorer Course

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by SamP250, Apr 27, 2018.

1. SamP250

SamP250

Any suggestions on how a civilian can get some good Glock Armorer training? What I see so far is that to get trained by a certified Glock instructor on disassembly reassembly you have to be LE, Military, or GSSF. But what about privately taught armorer courses? Are they out there?

I know I can learn all this from youtube videos, likely free. But there's the missing element of the classroom setting and it's benefits.

2. Del Elec

Del Elec

As a GSSF member I've taken both armorer and advanced armorer courses. If you join GSSF for 2 years or more you will receive the pistol purchase coupon along with the membership card. You will also receive another pistol purchase coupon each year as long as you remain a member. I think it was definitely worth it. I picked up a 23 and two 19's, both Gen4, for $425 each and a 30 Gen4 for $491.

3. Pistolay

Pistolay

I don't shoot competitively, but I joined the GSSF just so I could take the armorers course last week. It was well worth it, IMO. The best 8 hours I've ever spent in a classroom. Two years from now, I want to take the advanced armorers course. You need to have been an armorer for two years to take the advanced course.

4. SamP250

SamP250

5. SamP250

SamP250

Thanks man! I've pretty well figured out I'm going to have to do it that way too. Although a range master at a place I shoot sometimes told me he thinks I might can get in a class if I use him or the club as a reference, but I kinda doubt that. From what I read, they are strict about criteria, and they check your credentials. Anyway thanks for replying.

6. weaselfire

weaselfire

GSSF members get similar access to Glock classes as law enforcement. AGI also has a Glock course you can do online at your own pace. Glock's course will NOT teach you customizing but AGI's will, if that's what you want. Plus considerable practice.

Pick up a Polymer 80 frame or two to practice on.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

https://www.glocktraining.com/schedule.aspx

Here is the link. Some classes you do not have to be LE, Military or GSSF. Just keep looking. Best investment you will make besides professional shooting lessons.

8. SamP250

SamP250

Thanks - I've seen this schedule recently, but I haven't found anything that doesn't have a mandatory criteria of some kind - it appears that no simple civilian can take an armorer's course, without some kind of cert.

9. Pistolay

Pistolay

GSSF costs $35 and all you have to do is write the check. That's what I did. And, as I understand it, if you renew your membership after the first year, you get a coupon every year to purchase a Glock at close to the Blue Label price.

10. weaselfire

weaselfire

Bummer. Guess you're screwed. Good thing you haven't taken the advice of those who replied.

Seriously. GSSF. Join. Why stay a "mere civilian?"

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

11. El Pistolero

El Pistolero

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    Over the past six years I developed a great interest in Glock pistols. In 2013 I bought my first Glock, a G19 Gen 4 and I joined the GSSF. I am now interested in taking the Glock Armorer Course for my own personal knowledge and satisfaction. I started the Glock Armorer Course application today as a civilian GSSF member with hopes of enrolling for the 6/12/18 course being taught in my city. After reading the application I see where I am required to submit a DSP-83 form with the U.S. Dept. of State (approval takes about 8 weeks), and to provide a passport in order to attend the class. I didn’t realize the process was that involved so for now I will place this certification course on the back burner. I recently bought a current Glock Armorer’s Manual on eBay and will use it along with information from Glock Talk as good resources for maintaining and repairing my Glock pistols.

CIVILIANS (GSSF MEMBERS) REGISTERING FOR THE A/C: CIVILIANS AND MEMBERS OF GSSF ARE TO PROVIDE A SIGNED DSP-83, PASSPORT, DRIVERS LICENSE AND CORRESPONDENCE ON LETTERHEAD REQUESTING THE ATTENDANCE TO THE CLASS. THE FILING FEE IS $250 PER PERSON

12. Pistolay

Pistolay

Are you a non-citizen? The DSP-83 is not required for U.S. citizens.

13. El Pistolero

El Pistolero

14. Pistolay

Pistolay

I'm a U.S. citizen also. I joined GSSF in February, and as soon as I got my membership #, I registered for the armorers course which I took in April. I did not have to fill out that form or wait for anything other than the course to be available in my area.

15. El Pistolero

El Pistolero

Pistolay,
    I appreciate the info. I restarted the application on my desktop rather than my iPhone and saw that I had clicked on the non-citizen button. I clicked on the correct button submitted my application and now I am waiting for the email confirmation. Thanks to you, I am good to go.

Many thanks,

El Pistolero

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Pistolay likes this.
  16. SamP250

SamP250

17. SamP250

SamP250

I never saw anything about having to show a passport or DSP - are you a U.S. citizen? They make it tougher than it needs to be for such a simple course. There are DVD courses put on by people just as qualified, if not moreso than the people putting on these official armorer's courses. This stuff is not astro physics, you know?

18. El Pistolero

El Pistolero

I restarted the application on my desktop rather than on my iPhone and saw that I had originally clicked on the non-citizen button by mistake. I re-submitted my application and I am scheduled for the class.

19. McHale

McHale

The instructor can override those restrictions. I have a class coming up that was LE only. I contacted the instructor, they contacted Glock to clear me, and now I'm in the class.

20. SamP250

SamP250

That's encouraging. I really want to take the armorers course.