Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start reloading 9mm for my glock 17. I shoot at the range for fun and I'm also looking to get into IDPA matches. I haven't bought any equipment or components yet I'm still in the research and reading stage to figure out what I need. I've got the "ABC's of reloading" and "Lyman 49th reloading handbook" and have been reading over this forum and others.

Brass
I have WWB and Blazer brass. I also have some Remington and Fiocchi but I think I'm going to use those during some classes I'm taking this summer and won't be able to collect the brass.

Powder
It looks like W231, WST, WSF or Unique are powder choices used on many of the forums I've looked at. Is there somewhere that compares the different powders to know which may be better for my application? Or is this more of a try different ones and compare results?

Bullets
All my factory ammo is 115 gr FMJ. I think I want to use a 124gr FMJ to get a heavier round for steel targets. I haven't been able to find much about what bullets people like (FMJ, TMJ) and don't like or what brands people prefer. Any input or suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Load Data
Load Data has me somewhat confused. Lyman 49 has a few entries for 9mm but nothing for 124 FMJ. Do I choose a powder and find load data based on that powder or choose a bullet and look for load data with that bullet and my powder of choice. Seems like there are many places with load data and I'm not sure where to start.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
brass cased boxer primed cases are reloadable

Get the ABC's of reloading or go buy a reloading manual and read it. It will answer a lot of your questions and probably more.

·
Sometimes grumpy, not old
1,167 Posts
brass cased boxer primed cases are reloadable

Get the ABC's of reloading or go buy a reloading manual and read it. It will answer a lot of your questions and probably more.
Did you even read his post?

I've got the "ABC's of reloading" and "Lyman 49th reloading handbook" and have been reading over this forum and others.
:dunno:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main questions are on the components (bullets, powder) and not equipment.

I think I have the equipment figured out based on the sticky in this forum a few other places I've looked.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Powder choices can be a very subjective decision based on an individual shooter's tastes and needs.

Those who shoot outside exclusively are usually not as sensitive to smoke as those who frequent indoor ranges. Some like the loud report and flash as produced by powders such as Power Pistol while others want a low flash, milder powder.

Older guys don't seem bothered by the dirty burning characteristics of powders such as Bullseye and Unique while others are bothered by it. Some new loaders are concerned with the possibility of double charging with a low volume powder and others never give it a thought.

As you can see, there are lots of powders that will achieve the same overall results but accomplish it in different ways.

Purchasing powders in one pound containers and experimenting with them until you find one that fits your particular tastes may be something you want to consider.

Jack

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I've had difficulty loading lead 'boolits' in my CZ 9mm, but the FMJ bullets I bought work great. If you just follow directions in the manuals I really think just about any of those powders will work fine for your purposes.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Did you even read his post?

:dunno:
Yeah, he has them; but has he read them. The information on powders and projectiles is right there in the chapters before the reloading data. There is a whole chapter dedicated to powders and has a write up on each powder and what it compares to and what to use if for. It also has a chapter on projectiles. The bulk of his questions are answered in the Lyman book. They are also answered in the Grenell authored "ABC's book (do not know about the newer editions).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, he has them; but has he read them. The information on powders and projectiles is right there in the chapters before the reloading data. There is a whole chapter dedicated to powders and has a write up on each powder and what it compares to and what to use if for. It also has a chapter on projectiles. The bulk of his questions are answered in the Lyman book. They are also answered in the Grenell authored "ABC's book (do not know about the newer editions).
my reading skills must suck because I've read both books and the chapters you mention and still have these questions. I started with the books before I posted in an effort to not get the response "go read this book"

"I haven't been able to find much about what bullets people like (FMJ, TMJ) and don't like or what brands people prefer" - actually the lyman book has a paragraph labeled "Get the Opinion of Experienced Persons". the book does list the different types of bullets but I was wanting to know what people thought (TMJ VS FMJ) and what brands people like.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
my reading skills must suck because I've read both books and the chapters you mention and still have these questions. I started with the books before I posted in an effort to not get the response "go read this book"
Ok, I was responding to the post questioning Hman.

Your questions are:
Brass
I have WWB and Blazer brass. I also have some Remington and Fiocchi but I think I'm going to use those during some classes I'm taking this summer and won't be able to collect the brass.
Actually, no question there. :cool: Use the brass you care the least about losing. If I'm loading for a lost brass match, I'll use from my Misc brass container. That's were I put all the brass that I don't have large quanties of. For example, in the Misc bin (several hundred rounds), I'll have 50 GFL, 90 CCI, 75 Speer, etc. Good enough to use, not enough to have it's own bin. There is some brass I just toss. Aluminum Blazer, S&B and Aguila come to mind.

Powder
It looks like W231, WST, WSF or Unique are powder choices used on many of the forums I've looked at. Is there somewhere that compares the different powders to know which may be better for my application? Or is this more of a try different ones and compare results?

The powder chapter does cover each powder and it's application. If you want a good book on powder, then I strongly recommend "Propellant Profiles" from Wolfe Publishing.
http://www.amazon.com/Propellant-Pr...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269711445&sr=8-1

It's a compilation of the Propellant Profiles column that appears in Reloader magazine. Very, very good stuff. IMNSHO, should be on every reloaders shelf.

Bullets
All my factory ammo is 115 gr FMJ. I think I want to use a 124gr FMJ to get a heavier round for steel targets. I haven't been able to find much about what bullets people like (FMJ, TMJ) and don't like or what brands people prefer. Any input or suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Do you need to ring the target or knock it down (as in silhouette)? If you just need to ring it, then 115gr should do fine. If you need a knockdown, I might look at 147gr instead. In any event, there is a prescribed method for working up a load from a lighter projectile. Or you could call the projectile maker and ask them. They are in the position to give you the best advise on how to load their projectiles. I've found people like Hornady, Speer, Rainier and Berry's to be very helpful and responsive to a phone call.

Load Data
Load Data has me somewhat confused. Lyman 49 has a few entries for 9mm but nothing for 124 FMJ. Do I choose a powder and find load data based on that powder or choose a bullet and look for load data with that bullet and my powder of choice. Seems like there are many places with load data and I'm not sure where to start.
Part of that's covered above, and depends on what you want to do. If you want a plinking round, then 115gr works fine. If you want to duplicate a carry round, then you pick a projectile that matches that. If you want a hunting round (9mm?) then you go for a heavier projectile, possibly (depending on the gun) an expanding type. Then again, the range you plan to shoot at can affect that decision. Since you are new to this, I would suggest starting with a 115gr projectile. It's a nice all purpose projectile. It'll take care of most needs till you get some experience under your belt. Check the Lyman book again. This is covered in the chapter under projectile selection.

HTH

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My advice would be to listen to Jack. Buy a couple of different powders and see what you like the best. I would recommend looking in your manual for the weight bullet you intend to use and pick a powder with a medium burn rate. Most small club matches you don't have to worry about power factor but if you do you will also have to take that into consideration.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Rusty must be sick... he's agreeing with me. Hope you feel better soon. :supergrin:

Jack

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Brass
I don’t sort my brass. I know people who do. I don’t find it makes a difference over the chrono or for accuracy. I wouldn’t worry about it. I would say you want to case gauge all you match ammo at minimum.

Powder
Around here you have a bunch of different types of shooters. Over at Brian Enos Forums you will find pretty much everyone uses a fast powder in 9mm. On Glock Talk everyone is going to say “Unique”, or some middle speed powder. As a IDPA’r you will find the faster powders make it easier to track the sights for most people. I would say Solo 1000 @ 4.2gr with a 124 gr bullet, 1.130 OAL. Makes PF easily. No possible way to double charge the case and you can easily see the powder in the case. I think it’s the safest fast powder using 124gr bullets in 9mm. You won’t find that in a book.

Powder Bullets
Bullet type in 9mm is not that important. Lots of people I know shoot Montana Gold FMJ because locally I can get a decent price. I have used Precision Delta as well. It’s not that important. You do not need CMJ or any version of a Total Metal Jacket. Plated will work fine as well.

Load Data
If your going to be a gamer you going to have to learn how to find the data that suits the game. Go to brian enos forums and you will find lots of info. I gave you my recipe. That’s my final load but you should start lower and work it up. That’s just the smart thing to do every time

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Colorado4Wheel, that is what I was looking for.

Do you have any experience with titegroup and how that compares to the solo 1000? Seems like the brian enos guys like titegroup and N320. I'm trying to learn all I can but the enos forums were making my head spin after awhile:wow:

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Titegroup is the old hotness, Solo 1000 is the new Hotness. I have used both. Search Solo 1000 on the brian enos forums and you will see a lot of converts from TG and VV powders.

Advantages of Solo 1000 over TG

1) Bulkier. A lot bulkier. You can see the powder much easier.
2) Single Base so its lead friendly and a little less smokey with FMJ (exposed lead base).
3) Runs a lot cooler. No burned cases, cooler gun.

Advantages of TG over Solo

1) TG is more versital. I don't like Solo 1000 with 115 gr bullets.
2) TG actually has reloading data in load books. Solo has a wealth of stuff on B.E. but thats about it. TG is better for people with out a chrono. Solo it's best to check your load on a chrono. TG is better for a newbie because of this. Solo is great if you work it up.

Both are very soft shooting. Some people have accuaracy issues running Solo 1000 with 125PF loads. Load it to 130 PF and it's fine.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am just a novice reloader, but here is what I have been doing. All of my info on what compenents have come from friends doing similar things or sites like brianenos and GT.

Titegroup is the old hotness, Solo 1000 is the new Hotness. I have used both. Search Solo 1000 on the brian enos forums and you will see a lot of converts from TG and VV powders.

Advantages of Solo 1000 over TG

1) Bulkier. A lot bulkier. You can see the powder much easier.
2) Single Base so its lead friendly and a little less smokey with FMJ (exposed lead base).
3) Runs a lot cooler. No burned cases, cooler gun.

Advantages of TG over Solo

1) TG is more versital. I don't like Solo 1000 with 115 gr bullets.
2) TG actually has reloading data in load books. Solo has a wealth of stuff on B.E. but thats about it. TG is better for people with out a chrono. Solo it's best to check your load on a chrono. TG is better for a newbie because of this. Solo is great if you work it up.

Both are very soft shooting. Some people have accuaracy issues running Solo 1000 with 125PF loads. Load it to 130 PF and it's fine.
POWDERS
Beat me to it about powders. Although you did a much better job in describing them than I would have. I am currently running through some Unique before I will start working up a load with TG.

BULLETS
Zero 124 FMJ http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
or Monatana Gold 124 FMJ https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

I don't think you will notice much of differnece between 124gr and 115gr, but 124's seem to be the popular choice. I don't like 147's because of the different feel in recoil and added expense.

BRASS
I sort mine just because I don't want to run into problems while reloading. I put all the crimped stuff aside (which I seem to always find). I sort my brass into groups of Very Good (stuff I would use for a match), Good (can use wherever but hopefully retrieve), OK (will use for training and when brass won't be retrieved), and scrap (crushed, pebble stuck in it, or the sneaky .380 that got into my 9mm).

PRIMERS
I use what I can get. I want Winchester, but am using Wolf right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts