close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beginner PL Routine Wanted.......

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, May 12, 2007.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Anyone got a 3 day per week routine for a novice PLer but an intermediate strength trainer. As trainee will be working out in my garage the routine needs to use only the most basic equipment; barbell, plates, bumpers,plate loaded dbs, flat bench, squat rack (not power rack) and safety stands. No access to glute hams or other fancy equipment.

One more thing, bench probably lags behind other 2 lifts.

Additionally, this trainee's goals are to compete in a raw push/pull meet next March. Despit the fact that it is a push/pull, he still wants to squat.

Oh yeah, I'm the trainee. A little help please.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

You already know more than my outdated strength training knowledge, so I'll just wish you the best of luck!

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Jack, I always thought you were one of the more knowledgable folks here, but I'll give it a shot. If I were going to only lift 3x a week this is what I would do.

Day 1: Legs/biceps; squat (or box squat), stiff leg deadlift, barbell curls, hammers curls, calf raises

Day 2: Chest/shoulders/triceps; flat bench, narrow grip bench, behind neck presses, rear lateral raises, lying dumbell extensions (like skull crushers but db's tap shoulders)

Day 3: Back; deadlift, bent barbell rows, wide grip chins, shrugs

For the 3 PL's, I like a 8 week cycle where you add 10lbs every week. Maybe do 5x5's and work down to 3x3's or 3x2's.

For all assistance work do 3 sets of 6-8 reps perhaps.

But I know a lot of PL'ers like to do squats and DL together. If your bench is lagging you could do that, and have a speed bench day and a max effort bench day.

Just my .02, feel free to pick this apart.

4. California Jack

Thanks Brad. Most of my experience and reading deals with either general strength training and Weightlifting. I have always done full body workouts. I believe that for the average guy just trying to get/stay in shape or get stronger, that is the way to go.

However, I know next to nothing about training for the sport of Powerlifting. Powerlifting splits are are something I know nothing about.

I will tell you this. I think anyone that squats and DLs on the same day are tough.

I've been thinking about foresaking the squats and just doing a Pavel PTP approach just DLing and benching.

I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the help.
    Jack

5. California Jack

I may try this late JV Akem routine for a while......

TRAINING SCHEDULE #1: geared for the Power lifting oriented athlete.

MONDAY
    Power Clean- 3 sets of 3 reps warm up, then 3 to 5 sets of 3 reps with a work weight, about 80% of a 1RM.

Bench Press- (medium to heavy day)- (if med)- 3 sets of 5 to 6 reps warm up then 3 sets of 5 with a work weight. (if heavy)- work up over six sets of 5 to 6 reps to limit set of 3 to 5 reps on the last set. A rule of thumb puts a limit triple at about 90% of one's 1RM.

Squat- (light speed day)- one warm up set of 10 reps. Then 5 sets of 5 reps with no more than 65% and no more than 60 seconds rest between sets. Start with 60% . Apply 100% effort on every rep and do each rep as fast as possible.

WEDNESDAY
    One Power Clean followed by 3 Military Presses followed by 2 Push Presses for 5 reps total per set- 3 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 5 reps with a work weight.

(For a description of these exercises read: The Power Clean & Push Press & Strict Presses

Deadlift- warm up- 10 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, then the same work weight for 3 to 4 sets of 3 to 4 reps. The Romanian DL or Straight Back Clean Style DL's are recommended. (On clean DL's use about 80% of your 1RM your first workout.)(On RDL's weight is not as important as doing the exercise correctly with strict form.)

NOTE: Because squats and deadlifts overlap the working of a lot of the same muscles, squats are not recommended the same day as deadlifts.

FRIDAY
    Bent Row- 3 sets of 5 to 6 reps warm up, then 3 sets of 5 to 6 reps with a work weight.

Squat- (medium to heavy day) same formula as BP on Monday.

Bench Press- (light speed day) same formula as Squat on Monday.

____________________________________________________________________________

6. DBradD

DBradD

I wouldn't have considered doing both back in the old days.

As best I can remember from 15 years ago, my dinosaur-like workouts went something like:

Monday: Squats & Squat-related exercises (but can't remember what)
    Tuesday: Bench, Incline Bench, Decline Bench
    Wednesday: OFF
    Thursday: DL, Rows, Shrugs, Stiff-legged DLs
    Friday: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps

I'd just vary the reps depending on the season. Near a contest, I would drop a few exercises and lower the reps. For example, DL day was a bunch of sets of 1-4 of DL then go home.

I wouldn't say this was a very effective program. I got fairly strong, but plateaued. At that point, I had no clue what to do and eventually quit as life competed with the time I was spending on it.

7. California Jack

I think that is still a pretty standard template and one I've been thinking about, with a few tweaks. Also, I'd most likey leave the accessory day out.

8. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I agree, and I'm not that tough yet!

From what I read and hear, the reason for doing them both on the same day is that when people do them on seperate days, they were having a tough time at meets. They weren't used to doing the two lifts in the same day, let alone in such a close time frame. So they were bombing or having to lower their weights.

9. DBradD

DBradD

That's interesting. I always stunk at DL in meets compared to the gym, so I wonder if that's why.

For example, before my last meet, I DLed 495x4 good reps, resetting between each of them. I couldn't squat that much, could get it about twice IIRC. I got a 510 squat but only a 485 DL. I think I opened with 485, barely got it, and failed at 500 or 510 and was hoping for 520-525.

I always figured it was from lousy diet the day of the meet. At that time I had no clue about diet, not that I'm an expert now. Squat was early, at 9-10am, but DL wasn't until 3-4pm. Without eating many hundreds of the correct types of calories during the day, my energy level was very low.

Perhaps it had to do with what you're typing, though.

10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I first read about doing them in the same workout in an article about Andy Bolton, the first guy to pull over 1000 lbs (pulled 1003)!!!!

It makes perfect sense, but only if you're going to compete.

IIRC the Westside folks all do it too, along with many serious PL'ers.

As a side note: Andy Bolton squated 1213, DL'ed 920 and benched 672 at the WPO finals. Thats a 2806 total! INSANE! This guy is sneaking up on 3000!!!

11. DBradD

DBradD

I think that's the same guy who walked in the gym at 18 for the first time in his life and DLed 600 and squatted 500. What a freak!

3000 seemed ludicrous just a few years ago.

12. California Jack

I'm not telling you Andy Bolton didn't do what you said. But I just recently read that Shane Hammond squatted 550 the first time he lifted.

He totaled something similar at the Arnold too.

13. DBradD

DBradD

Bolton claimed that in an interview that I read--that's all I know.

14. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Jack, if you go to the Westside site under articles, there is one from Mar 04 that is Advanced system for beginners.

Might be an interesting read. Just an idea.

Plus about 50 other great articles.

15. California Jack

Thanks BradCR, I'll head over there and see what they have to say.