close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beginner Advice.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by OmahaNE, Nov 24, 2004.

1. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

I have searched through this forum and found tons of useful information. I'm starting to get dizzy!

What would you recommend to someone who wants to shoot a GSSF *style* (seen here: http://rockyourglock.tripod.com/index.html ) competition and is 6 months out from their first match. I can practice once a week at an indoor range, 50 - 100 rounds per session.

The range is divided into "lanes", and we can only use paper targets. So, what I'm saying is that I can't practice on the real course.

I have never done a shooting competition before.

Considering these limitations, what should I practice?
    Also, what is a "mediocre" level that I can aspire to for my first match?

Thanks for all input!

2. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

Oh, I should note that I'll be using a stock G17 with 17 round mags, and winchester whitebox ammo from walmart.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Your ammo choice is fine. I use full capacity magazines in GSSF Competition, but I am only allowed to load 10 or 11 rounds per magazine. You can make your own targets, or purchase paper targets and practice shooting "controlled pairs" at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards. In a real GSSF match, you only have 6 shots at 25 yards--it's best to make every one count. For Plates practice, you can tape two 9 inch pie plates side by side on your paper targets and shoot at 11 yards.

4. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

thanks for the tips!

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Coach DannyR gave some very good advice! I would add the inexpencive "Paper Plates" also made good practice targets and they are about the same size as the "Falling Plates" and also very close in size to the 8" "No Penilty" zone on the D-1's!
    Good Luck and practice Safely!
    Dan:cool:

6. cmzneb

cmzneb

These guys have given you very good advice. One thing I will add:

Practice alot on the 20-25 yard shots! Then the 5-10-15 yard shots seem so much easier!

Practicing at the Bullet Hole? You have to purchase their targets unfortunately, but you could ask the guy to get some NRA D-1 targets.

7. cmzneb

cmzneb

You will have a great time, caution though... You will be hooked and then start wanting to go to the real GSSF matches!

Not knowing what to expect when I went to my first GSSF match, my goal was to do anything but come in last place! :) And I actually ended up placing halfway up in the "A" class.

8. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

When I practice indoors I just put it at 15, 25, 45, 60 and 75 feet. I shoot two shots at each and move them. I repeat this. ON plates, I used to use paper ones, but I've tried this other idea I came up with.

On most coffee cans, there are plastic lids. These are of varying sizes depending on the size of the can. I take the back of a D1 target and trace the lids on the paper and the circles I shoot at. I did the small ones, because I figured if I could aim and hit the small ones, the regular plates at the match would be no problem. At least hitting in the circles gives me some idea of what I can do. JUst get some crayons and trace!

Enjoy your first match and just concentrate on your sights and shooting. Don't think of speed. Just enjoy the experience and you will be surprised how well it goes. GSSF shoots are to be enjoyed and to meet many new people. It's a great competition and everyone including the ROs are so friendly and helpful. Enjoy.

9. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

Thanks for the responses.

yes, I'm practicing at Omaha's finest (and only) indoor range, the bullet hole! I should ask them to get some NRA d-1 targets.

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Although not as score-killing as D hits on the paper targets, one barometer for speed I've found for practicing with the aforementioned paper plates is to buy the cheapest (8-9") ones around, with the 2"-wide crinkly borders. If my shots start straying to those edges, I know I need to slow down. :)

Wish you lots of luck; seems like a good way to have some fun & great practice for a future trip to a GSSF match. Hope to see you at one this coming year!
    ;?

11. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

thanks again everyone. And to omaha gssf'ers out there, the Bullethole now has NRA D1 targets. You're welcome! :)

12. cmzneb

cmzneb

SWEET! Thanks alot!!!!

13. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

http://rockyourglock.tripod.com/id6.html

Well, I was very happy with the results. I got 9th & 12th! I didn't completely miss any of the cardboard targets. My goal was to not miss anything cardboard (i.e. a scored target), and to not come in dead last!

I did miss several plates, but you can come back and shoot those, so you're only penalized the time it takes you to realize your miss & correct it. So, I was glad I didn't leave any still standing.

For practice, I did
    1) First shots. Just practicing going from ready position to first shot on paper. I did this on a 3 inch target at about 3-5 yards.
    2) Controled double taps. Getting two accurate shots as fast as I could. Again on a 3 inch target at 3-5 yards.
    3) Long distance. The hardest shot is the 25 yard cardboard tombstone target. This was important, because the markings on the target are very hard for me to see (since there is no ink, they just sort of "scribe" the circles into the cardboard). So, I had to intuitively know where the center was. The shape misled me to aim too high, so I needed to practice.
    4) Fire & move on. This was important for the plates. Reading here, I guess most people like to watch the plates fall. I wanted to get my sight picture, take the shot, move on. For this, I used a small bore rifle target hung sideways at about 5 yards. I shot just left to right at the small bullseyes. After I did all of the bullseyes, I'd let myself assess hits/misses & take additional shots as needed.

Hope this helps someone. I had a great time!!!

Also, I should say that I did set up the 3 courses of fire at a friends house. Although I only got a chance to go through it once, I think this helped a lot.

14. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

I also meant to say, thanks to everyone for the advice & help!

Jim

15. Terminator

Terminator

Dont forget the most importanat things

Meet all the GSSF people
    Have fun!!!!!

16. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Dont worry about speed, get points. Also make sure you focus and have a clean sight lift for each shot and conciously pin the trigger for each shot.

17. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

Thanks for the tip. I think I know what you're saying, but just let me clarify to be sure.

"clean site lift". You mean raising the gun up so that I get a good site picture without bouncing the gun around? Yes? No?

"pin the trigger". Does this mean hold the trigger back after each shot so I can do a reset?

Thanks again!

18. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Sight lift is the sights lifting from recoil as the shot goes off. Watching for it and seeing it helps with focus.

Yes pin and concisouly reset it and hear the clank.

19. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

aha!

Thanks for sharing this. This is so exciting. I will soon be unstoppable!!!!!

Oh, ahem. Sorry. Got a little carried away there.