Before you go on a summer trip, make sure the A/C is draining

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pittpa, Sep 23, 2020.

1. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    That is very relevant, as some systems will clog every year or two due to what I believe is poor design. I have seen the water back up in the winter and cause the fan to slow down, causing the system to constantly shut off and retry to start the heat mode

They pay for mechanical repair due to covered loss (water) same as collision. They don't pay to fix the original problem that caused it, which in this case took a few seconds with an air hose.

My young nephew was taking a western U.S. road trip with his friend, lamenting the fact that he was too young to rent a car. I told him to buy a cheap van and sell it at the end of the trip. The kid was a Standord grad but needed his wise uncle to point out the obvious.
    They bought a used van that had been owned by a utility and had a blast, then sold it for more than they paid. He related to me that the wipers were a problem, but they tied sturdy twine to them and worked them back and forth from inside the car when the fuse blew. :)
    Apparently they are not the first.

View: https://youtu.be/WevQlQ4wcPc

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Ftttu, deputy tom and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  2. pittpa

Tom, my 1978 Trans Am did the exact same thing, only a couple years old. Although it was just a clog I went around a bend and got ice water on my feet. Reached under with a coat hanger and fixed it in a minute. I suspect that cars parked outside may be more prone to this, not sure. Never had an issue with a car parked in a garage. The Subaru has been outside for 15 months, since I got the Mustang.I would think cabin air filters would alleviate this to some degree but the Subaru has one.

deputy tom likes this.

3. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I owned a 1970 AMC Hornet with vacuum operated wipers. It srung a leak in the vacuum motor and I tied a white tennis shoe string to the drivers wiper. Thru a cracked open window I pulled the wiper to up position and it slammed it's self down. Worked well enough until I sold the car to a friend. tom. :animlol:

4. tom mac

tom mac

2008 Rav4...
    Heard sloshing noises and water on the drivers side during turns.
    Pass side , pull up rug and drain tube is there going thru firewall... pulled it and blew into tube, a gallon came out. so be prepared

(edit; pull down rug from top left in pass side, tube right there, 5 mins job )

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  5. pittpa

I think mine was sloshing for a while and I did not hear it until the radio amplifier shorted out. Even when I pulled out the mats, there was no visible standing water except at the amp under the seat.