Before you go on a summer trip, make sure the A/C is draining

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pittpa, Sep 23, 2020.

1. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Consider this a PSA, one more pre-vacation check.
    My Subaru Legacy is not driven much, so on my short trips around town, I was unaware that the condensate drain hose was plugged. 10 hours of driving to Myrtle Beach, however, dumped gallons of water on the right side carpet and foam backing, and partly submerged the stereo amp under the seat. First indication was the radio going out, then a sloshing sound when I pulled out from a stop sign, then all the safety system warning lights came on. There was no prior indication as nobody was with me sitting on that side, and the front and rear seat foot areas were full of vacation stuff. The car kept running fine, but the A/C fan started howling.
    I had a shop pull the seats to get the carpet out but it was too humid to dry it out the backing in 4 days, so I returned home with it in the trunk. Now it is outside drying in the sun and the car is at the dealer having the electric items diagnosed. The A/C fan housing had water dripping out of it at one point after I got to my hotel. Allstate is covering it, I have a $100 deductible.
    Just another 2020 bad memory.
    When I bought my Mustang, I dropped the insurance rental replacement coverage because..... I had two cars. I neglected to consider losing the use of a car while on vacation.

2. Ftttu

Ftttu

Sucks, but good to put this out. My daughter’s ‘16 RAV4 had a similar problem, and the Toyota dealer in Portland didn’t want to class it as warranty work. They finally did after a battle, however.

I’m always having to deal with dirt daubers and other wasps clogging my home’s ac drain tube. It is a constant battle with them that I know someday I’ll lose. My drain tube is under the eve where the stingy bugs love to build nests so I’m always dealing with new nests when I see them.

This is neither here nor there, but my former home had an ac drain tube that got clogged up with algae or moss. My ac started going wonky, and when I went to check it out, I found that water was draining onto the circuit board causing the problems. It also caused some water damage. I finally was able to vacuum the goo out and started periodically putting some bleach and vinegar into the drip pan to fix or limit the problem.

3. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

This is why i like to rent a car on long trips. If it breaks down, I'm not responsible for repairing it. Sorry to hear your troubles.

M&P15T, Doc Holliday and GlockPolock like this.
  4. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Son also rents, Chevy Surburban last trip. Plenty of room for the four of them.

5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I have never thought of renting for long trips.

ZekerMan likes this.
  6. canis latrans

canis latrans

same EXACT thing happened to my wife's Legacy on our trip to the beach two years ago! except, we must have sopped up enough water to prevent electrical problems.

we put beach towels down (SOAKED!). wrung them out. SOAKED! repeat....

AMAZING how much water it generated!

7. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

It hadn't occurred to me, either, until a while back.

Let's assume your current vehicle won't make the trip. Think of how much you'd have to spend doing one of the following:
    1. Purchase a new(er) vehicle that's reliable enough to make the trip
    2. Repair your current vehicle to a suitably reliable condition
    3. Rent a vehicle
    Renting is definitely a viable option.

pittpa and orangejeep06 like this.
  8. John43

John43

Back when I went into the service we didn't make much money and we went on leave. There were three of us in an OLD VW bug that was beat to hell. We went from the east coast to the midwest. The windshield wipers didn't work so when it rained we ran an old white clothesline through the side small wing vents and tied each end to the wiper, the driver would pull one way and the passenger would pull it the other. The worst part was when I was in the back right seat I told the driver that he had to pull over because my legs were killing me. The battery which was under the seat had blown up and the acid was eating up my pants.

NJ1911 likes this.
  9. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Check the drains on your sunroofs too.

pittpa and Redeemed like this.
  10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Head gasket problems and A/C problems. What's next for Subaru, I wonder?

I'm starting to think that the only use for them is if you live in a place that has snow 4 or 5 months out of the year.

11. canis latrans

canis latrans

one of the guys I work with said if he asked his to climb a tree, he thinks that it WOULD!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. wally1

wally1

That is not a problem restricted to Subaru, it is common to any vehicle - or any a/c for that matter.

I put a t fitting on the pvc drain in the attic on my home unit to facilitate adding bleach.

My wife's Mazda is currently at the dealer because a mouse ate a hole in the drain hose and it soaked the floor.

I miss the old cars where the hose was right out in the open and could easily be accessed.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  13. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I had a similar occurrence in 1985 with a brand new K-car. A/C drain hose melted shut at the tip and needed cut off with scissors. I went around a corner and ended up with a quart of water and a drowned bumble bee on my right foot. tom. :fist:

NJ1911 likes this.
  14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'd like to know how insurance is paying for mechanical repair.

larry_minn likes this.
  15. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

I always try to rent a vehicle for trips, saves the wear and tear on my daily driver plus any issues they arrange to get you rolling again fairly quickly

pittpa and deputy tom like this.
  16. Redeemed

Redeemed

Not sure about his insurance company. But geico offers mechanical breakdown coverage. I don’t have it. But I know they offer it.

17. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Interesting. That would certainly skew the extended warranty scam. I've never heard if that before. I wonder how much more it would be per premium.

18. Deltic

Deltic

It's better not to buy a sunroof IMO.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  19. norton

norton

I made two trips from the Indy to Omaha with a few family members and once a trip to Nashville Tn. I rented big SUV's from GMC, and Ford. Plenty of room, newer vehicles. At the time the cost was pretty reasonable. Don't know about today.

20. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

4 of us took a trip to California to visit friends a number of years ago, I rented a van from the local Toyota dealer. It went well, just a little over a thousand bucks for a week. I don't see that cost as saving much over using your own car or truck.