GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
What did I come in here for?
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consider this a PSA, one more pre-vacation check.
My Subaru Legacy is not driven much, so on my short trips around town, I was unaware that the condensate drain hose was plugged. 10 hours of driving to Myrtle Beach, however, dumped gallons of water on the right side carpet and foam backing, and partly submerged the stereo amp under the seat. First indication was the radio going out, then a sloshing sound when I pulled out from a stop sign, then all the safety system warning lights came on. There was no prior indication as nobody was with me sitting on that side, and the front and rear seat foot areas were full of vacation stuff. The car kept running fine, but the A/C fan started howling.
I had a shop pull the seats to get the carpet out but it was too humid to dry it out the backing in 4 days, so I returned home with it in the trunk. Now it is outside drying in the sun and the car is at the dealer having the electric items diagnosed. The A/C fan housing had water dripping out of it at one point after I got to my hotel. Allstate is covering it, I have a $100 deductible.
Just another 2020 bad memory.
When I bought my Mustang, I dropped the insurance rental replacement coverage because..... I had two cars. I neglected to consider losing the use of a car while on vacation.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Sucks, but good to put this out. My daughter’s ‘16 RAV4 had a similar problem, and the Toyota dealer in Portland didn’t want to class it as warranty work. They finally did after a battle, however.

I’m always having to deal with dirt daubers and other wasps clogging my home’s ac drain tube. It is a constant battle with them that I know someday I’ll lose. My drain tube is under the eve where the stingy bugs love to build nests so I’m always dealing with new nests when I see them.

This is neither here nor there, but my former home had an ac drain tube that got clogged up with algae or moss. My ac started going wonky, and when I went to check it out, I found that water was draining onto the circuit board causing the problems. It also caused some water damage. I finally was able to vacuum the goo out and started periodically putting some bleach and vinegar into the drip pan to fix or limit the problem.

·
Pinky Out
58,532 Posts
I have never thought of renting for long trips.

Reactions: ZekerMan

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
same EXACT thing happened to my wife's Legacy on our trip to the beach two years ago! except, we must have sopped up enough water to prevent electrical problems.

we put beach towels down (SOAKED!). wrung them out. SOAKED! repeat....

AMAZING how much water it generated!

·
back again
2,269 Posts
It hadn't occurred to me, either, until a while back.

Let's assume your current vehicle won't make the trip. Think of how much you'd have to spend doing one of the following:
  1. Purchase a new(er) vehicle that's reliable enough to make the trip
  2. Repair your current vehicle to a suitably reliable condition
  3. Rent a vehicle
Renting is definitely a viable option.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Back when I went into the service we didn't make much money and we went on leave. There were three of us in an OLD VW bug that was beat to hell. We went from the east coast to the midwest. The windshield wipers didn't work so when it rained we ran an old white clothesline through the side small wing vents and tied each end to the wiper, the driver would pull one way and the passenger would pull it the other. The worst part was when I was in the back right seat I told the driver that he had to pull over because my legs were killing me. The battery which was under the seat had blown up and the acid was eating up my pants.

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
Head gasket problems and A/C problems. What's next for Subaru, I wonder?

I'm starting to think that the only use for them is if you live in a place that has snow 4 or 5 months out of the year.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Head gasket problems and A/C problems. What's next for Subaru, I wonder?
That is not a problem restricted to Subaru, it is common to any vehicle - or any a/c for that matter.

I put a t fitting on the pvc drain in the attic on my home unit to facilitate adding bleach.

My wife's Mazda is currently at the dealer because a mouse ate a hole in the drain hose and it soaked the floor.

I miss the old cars where the hose was right out in the open and could easily be accessed.

·
Gringo Viejo
28,519 Posts
I had a similar occurrence in 1985 with a brand new K-car. A/C drain hose melted shut at the tip and needed cut off with scissors. I went around a corner and ended up with a quart of water and a drowned bumble bee on my right foot. tom. :fist:

Reactions: NJ1911

·
Anti-Federalist
17,745 Posts
I'd like to know how insurance is paying for mechanical repair.

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd like to know how insurance is paying for mechanical repair.
Not sure about his insurance company. But geico offers mechanical breakdown coverage. I don’t have it. But I know they offer it.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,745 Posts
Not sure about his insurance company. But geico offers mechanical breakdown coverage. I don’t have it. But I know they offer it.
Interesting. That would certainly skew the extended warranty scam. I've never heard if that before. I wonder how much more it would be per premium.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
I made two trips from the Indy to Omaha with a few family members and once a trip to Nashville Tn. I rented big SUV's from GMC, and Ford. Plenty of room, newer vehicles. At the time the cost was pretty reasonable. Don't know about today.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
4 of us took a trip to California to visit friends a number of years ago, I rented a van from the local Toyota dealer. It went well, just a little over a thousand bucks for a week. I don't see that cost as saving much over using your own car or truck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts