Before and After....

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ScottMn, Jul 12, 2020.

1. ScottMn

ScottMn

I've reassessed how I wanted to use my AR so I've made a few changes. Here's a before pic.....

APF3.jpg

This is after......

APF after.jpg

Made it a totally different gun which I'm liking quite a bit. Added an Magpul sling (went with simple attachment), Wilson Combat sights, AT3 absolute zero mount, and Vortex dot (I already had the dot). I was also able to scrounge up more than a few replacement parts just in case.

I did a little research and sighted it in at 36 yds rather that 50. I don't intend to shoot it at long range but the 36 yd zero gives a longer point blank zero which might come in handy. I also took the time to shoot a few rounds close to check the offset for close in shots.

I'm liking the weight and feel of the new set up. All my guns have slings and this one now shoulders nice and tight for some added stability. The metal Wilson Combat sights seem well made. They were around $100 and while they're not Troy's, I have a feeling they're much better than some of the less expensive ones I was looking at. The mount was not that expensive but it aligned well and didn't make me use much of the adjustment of the Vortex. I have a few of the Vortex Venom sights and have never had a problem with them. I've always liked that they don't have a lot of material around the glass which gives a nice, unobstructed field of view. With that though, I probably give up some "ruggedness" which others would have but sometimes you just have to go with what you have.

The only thing I'm lacking is a light. Lots of choices out there so if any of you have some suggestions, they would be most welcome. Since the gun is a carbine, there really isn't a lot of room. The light and pressure switch would have to fit on the right side opposite the sling? Or should I move the sling attachment back and mount the light ahead of it on the left and then use the end cap button for control? I have a few Streamlights that are set up this way and they seem to work fine but mounting a light on a rifle is new to me and a few suggestions would be helpful.

StarvinMarvin, Tanger and mj9mm like this.
  2. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

Looks great! I just received the new Olight Odin! Great well built light!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

no input from me, i'm new to the AR scene and just hoping to learn from this thread...

catman71 likes this.
  4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Very cool setup

catman71 likes this.
  5. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Looks nice. I'd personally move the sling attachment back and get an moe cantilever mount where you have the sling currently and use an endcap button for the light. You don't really have much rail space for a light and pressure switch, although I'm sure its possible.

My setup is similar, rifle has changed a bit since this pic but you get the idea. I'm lefty so it's all on the other side of gun from yours. upload_2020-7-13_18-23-39.jpeg

6. ScottMn

ScottMn

Thanks for the cantilever mount suggestion. That would help a lot.

7. ScottMn

ScottMn

Got a Surefire G2X tactical light, mount, and rail today. It's tight but I can easily reach the end cap button and have a good hold on the rifle even with the sling on. The cantilever mount helps a ton but I think the next AR will be a mid-length. AR flashlight.jpg