close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Before a match....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fireglock, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Do you clean your Glock before a match? Any special routine or efforts? Do you test fire it after cleaning before the match? Or do you just use your Glock like you know it will work? :)

2. lowandleft

lowandleft

Clean it before every major match. Twice a year I disassemble the slide and clean it out internally; same for the magazines. In a major match that's 250-300 rds I will also stop in the middle usually and run a bore snake through quickly.

I only test fire it after I disassemble the slide; otherwise dry firing and testing the safeties is enough for me to be comfortable that it will work. For my glocks only, I always test the screw on the front site when I'm cleaning the gun also. Even with loctite they come loose and it cost me a match once and I've seen it happen to others.

I talk to others who claim they only clean their gun every 1,000 rds and don't have problems, but at the area 8 I was one of only 2 people in our squad that didn't have at least one malfunction. It just doesn't make sense to put all that effort and money into practicing for a major match and then losing because you won't spend 15 minutes getting your hands dirty.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Jerry,

I clean my pistols just before my last practice before a match, and oil them the morning of the match.

Night before the match I barrel check every round of ammo.

Morning of the match I clean and load 10 magazines for each pistol.

At the match, when using my G24C and LaserCast 170-gr LSWC bullets, I run a bore snake through the barrel after shooting each stage.

If I shoot my G21 and LaserCast 200-gr LSWC bullets, it also gets the bore snake after each stage.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I usually clean my guns the night before a major match, other than that I just shoot em alot.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

My routine on my Glock cleaning is simular to DannyR's. I usually clean them before the last practice before a match which is a short practice of about 100 rounds. I don't like to shoot a match right after a cleaning without a few rounds down range. I feel confident that my Glock will function but I think the first 2 or 3 rounds down a barrel after a thorough cleaning is not as accurate/consistant as the rounds to follow. I don't know why its just my gut feeling.

Normally the morning of or the night before the match I put a drop of oil on the slide groove and alide lugs just to be sure its smoothe to go.

I load all my mags the night before so when I get to the range I don't have to tire my hands loading mags. I also put some fresh sight black on my front post sight so it is as sharpe as possible. The older you get the more I think you need it.

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

YUP, WAAAAAYYYYYY TOO MUCH TIME!!;f ;a ;f

7. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

I clean the gun right before my last practice! I check that the gun will fire after every cleaning too, usually out the back window of my kitchen(open). That's a prerequisite to be a South Carolina resident!!!;f

8. Fireglock

Guilty! ;f

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

GEE, I thought you had to have webbed feet and one leg longer than the other.

Hey; have you'al seen Scotty's "Pet Carrier"? I will attach a picture of it for your enjoyment.;f ;f ;f ;P ;P ;P ;c ;c

10. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I usually, if time allows, clean my guns the night before a match. If time is not co-operative, I just wipe them off and give them a generous drop of oil.

As a side note: I only clean my Glocks after they've been shot about 2,000 rounds,which is what I usually practice between matches. This is why I like Glocks. They do not require cleanings often.

11. jhfenton

jhfenton Evil Marathoner

Like several others, I clean my gun just before a last (short) practice. Like Don at PC, I haven't verified it, but I suspect the first rounds out of a squeaky clean barrel might have a different point of impact than subsequent rounds.

Generally, I clean them thoroughly after every range session. I clean my carry gun (G26) superficially at least once a week. It can get a little fuzzy after a week of ankle carry.

12. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

..I clean my Glocks after each practice and then oil them as per the manual. Once I've cleaned the bore, I run a dry patch or two through.

I shot a NM grade M14 for the Sate of WI a while back. I was authorized only to clean the bore and the chamber and to add grease to the weapon. The armorer broke them down once a year and cleaned them for us.

..I think the bullseye shooters followed a similar practice w/their 1911A1s.

So there maybe some validity to the practice of only cleaning the bore. Yet, I've always leaned more towards functionality, and cleaning gives me the opportunity to inspect the weapon to ensure it works after each practice.

Jay

13. Fireglock

They probably don't want a mere mortal touching the internals Jay. Fortunately it's not an issue with our Glocks. :)

14. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Clean Your GLOCK!?!?!?! The only time I clean my GLOCKS is when they QUIT working;Q Just Kidding;)
    I clean mine just before the last practice and I load my mags the night before the match. And just for S&G's a little drop of oil the night before!
    Dan:cool:

15. 40blaster

40blaster

I guess I am a-nil, I clean my G-17 after every use, taking every little part out, except the Bo-Mars, and dry cleaning thourghly. A little bit of silly cone spray on the striker spring cups, a little Kellube on the rail guides, disconnect, big hole through the slide, and the locking block. Pop the mags apart and clean with Armor All. I wipe each round and drop it in a gauge and check the primer and load an extra hundred just in case I find some bad ones or I have a chance to shoot a side match or some poor soul, with a super light recoil spring, needs some ammo.

16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Heck I thought that is what the Armorer was there for... :) I have him clean it after I finish shooting. Figure once a year it gets totally cleaned. I can just do normal cleaning maybe 2x and good to go.

17. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

That's what I do :)

18. vfrdirk

vfrdirk Fan-damn-tastic

Once a year, whether it needs it or not...

Dirk