close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beer in the garden???

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by citori59, Jul 29, 2006.

1. citori59

citori59 Lock Guru

I have found about two cases of the rankest homemade beer I have ever tasted. I was wondering, could this stuff have a use as fertilizer in my vegetable garden?

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I don't know about using it to fertilize, but do you have a problem with snails and/or slugs? Put out a very shallow pan and the little critters head for it and drown.

3. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

I don't think it's going to do any good. Alcohol is not a healthy thing for any organism (don't worry, love it!). It's not going to make your plants very happy.

-Stooxie

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

One thing you can do with it is soak tougher meats in it overnight to tenderize. I used Bud once on some of the toughest chicken breast you have ever encountered. Once grilled, there was no aftertaste from the Bud and meat was tender and juicy.

5. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Take a whole roaster chicken, coat it (in and out) with your fav dry rub, then take an empty can and fill it 1/2 full w/ your strange brew.

Stick the can in the center of your grill, place chicken over can so that it has the can in it's cavity, wrap in aluminum foil and grill at medium until done.

That will be the best chicken you've ever tasted.

Also, my dad has started placing a sheet of aluminum foil under under the can and chicken to stop flare-ups. Seems like a good idea to me.

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Can't think of his name right now (I can see his face) but there was a gardener on TV that had a recipe for lawn fertilizer that incorporated beer, ammonia, liquid dish soap... Might have been something else more but I can't think of it...

I think the beer (yeast) acted like a potash or something like that...

7. spin180

spin180

I would be hesitant to use it for cooking if you don't like the way it tastes.

Cooking a liquid will reduce it down and concentrate its' flavor. This particularly applies to using a wine to make a sauce, glaze, etc, and I'd imagine the same would hold true for the brew.

Using it to roast a chicken on the grill may not be a problem, though. Of all the beer can chickens I've made, the beer flavor itself hasn't been that noticeable.

I'd test cooking with on a small scale to see how it works out before going all in on the evening meal.

If the beer does okay for cooking, there's oodles of recipes you can use if for... braising meats, pork & beef roasts, whole chicken, bratwurst, use it as part of a bread dough, or best-of-all for making beer-batter for frying.

Now as to using it for fertilizer...

http://www.ehow.com/how_9123_make-own-fertilizer.html

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/tipsforgardencare

;)

8. archipimp

archipimp

I dont think that was a fertilizer I think it was a insect repellent that guy was making. I know who you are talking about and I also cannot think of his name. I know some old folks around here pour beer out in the garden all the time. there is not enough alcohol to hurt and just enough to bug the bugs. The other ingredients are good for the plants. I concur with adding the dish soap as a surfactant but I dont know about the ammonia. try it and let us know!