Beer can chicken.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by DigiDuckie, Mar 9, 2005.

1. DigiDuckie

DigiDuckie Strapped Duck

Is it good? I've been wanting to try some. I don't like beer, but I enjoy beer flavored food. Does anyone happen to have any good recipes or suggestions for beer can chicken? ;c

2. biblefreak

biblefreak

It is the best!! I don't use beer, it doesn't taste right. I like any non-diet soda, usually Dr.Pepper or Root Beer.

I mix together a bunch of spices (ground peppercorn season all, lemmon pepper, sage, garlic salt), worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 can of soda to fill it up to about the 1\3 to 1\2 up the can.
    Then take some more seasonings and season the chicken inside and out with whatever you want. I usually use the same seasons I put on in the soda/worc. mix. Helpful hint- put the course seasons on first, i.e. ground peppercorn, the Lemon Pepper, then season all etc. because if you put the finer seasonings on first, the course seasonings won't stick.
    I use Kingsford mesquite charcoal. Light the grill, when the coals are good and hot, spread the coals out until the center has some coals, but the majority should make a ring around the grill, keeping most of the direct heat off the bottom of the chicken. You want some though, I try to make a nice little pile directly under the can to get the soda mix steaming.

Let cook 1 1\4 to 2 hours (depends on size of chicken) with LID ON THE GRILL!! I highly reccomend a Meat Thermometer to make sure the chicken is done.

GOOD LUCK!

3. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

i make it quite frequentlyl. I usually put some fresh ground pepper, garlic, salt in the beer. cover the top of the chicken with a potato or something to keep the steam inside the chicken.

4. Cross-X

Cross-X CLM

At the risk of being called a beer can chicken heretic, I think it is just a fad, and there are better ways to grill a chicken.

For example, take a whole chicken and use a sharp knife to split the backbone. Next, remove the breast bone. This is called spatchcocking a chicken. (No, I am not kidding)

Rub on your favorite combination of spices -- my current favorite is Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick. Spritz on a little olive oil, and grill over medium heat.

Chicken done this way comes out far more moist than a beer canned chicken does, and cooks more evenly, too.

5. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Illegal in 49 states. Arkansans are safe, though. ;)

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

;z ;z ;z

7. Remander

Remander

I use a device sold by these folks: http://www.chickcan.com/

I put beer, crab boil, Tony's, and other seasonings in the can.

As someone said above, the key is to stuff a piece of onion or potato in the neck to trap the steam in the bird. That keeps it moist, and the steam from the ingredinets work into the chicken.

I put the bird on one side of the gas grill, with the flame low beneath it, and keep the flame high on the other side. I turn the bird 1/4 or so about every 20 minutes.

The skin crisps up nicely, and the bird is done in about 1.25 to 1.5 hours, depending on weight and outside temp.

It is one of my favorite ways to cook chicken.

8. anole

anole

9. Black Bart

Black Bart

I just use two things

Tony's Chachere's
    Granulated Garlic

Put chickens on the smoker for about 2 1/2 hours best chicken in the world. If you shred the chicken makes great BBQ with your favorite sauce.;y

10. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

You mean like this...? I did these this weekend and I'm curious about something.

My new grill barely gives me enough room to stand up chickens. Infact, I have to use fryers because a roaster bird is too big.

The breast meat came out perfectly but the legs and thighs were very pink. Juicey but pink and there was blood near the joints. Was it done...?

I think what happened here is that the bird was very close to the top of the grill and it was hotter there than on the grate level. It looks burnt but it's not. Like I said, it appeared to be done at the top but I'm not sure about the lower part of the birds.

btw, these cooked for four hours...

[​IMG]

11. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

your thermometer that is sticking out will tell you for sure if its done.