close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Been in a car accident while carrying IWB?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ntech, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ntech

ntech

I drive with my firearm in an IWB holster. It is comfortable for me, but I often think about what could happen if I was involved in a car accident. My holster is positioned at 3:00, and my seatbelt lays over it. I sometimes wonder what effect that chunk of metal would have on my hip bone in a crash. Has anybody been involved in a car accident while carrying IWB? Thoughts?

2. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

mine is still at about 4-430 while driving

3. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Interesting topic! I would think that as long as you're belted into the seat, you most likely won't be going anywhere, so a hard landing on your hip/side wouldn't be a factor.

In a T/A, I'm more concerned w/weapons retention. Both of the weapon itself, so it isn't flying around in the vehicle after impact potentially causing more injuries (or out the window into traffic or someone front yard for that matter), but also if I need transported to the hospital: What happens to my weapon then?

4. josh21120

josh21120

If you are transported to a hospital, most likely your weapon will be "secured" by an attending police officer, and you will be given a receipt. Assuming you have valid ccw perission, you can pick up your gun when you're back on your feet.

5. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

I carry at 12:10 IWB, so my seatbelt sits right across my 27. I guess it would depend on how you got hit by another vehicle head-on, t-bone, rear-ended. All would cause different reactions on how your body thrashed around. I dont even think of it personally. If it happens it happens.

6. Tweek's Turbos

Tweek's Turbos

I was rear ended last year while carry ing, the dispatch just suggested I put it in the trunk untill the officer was done with the report.

7. Unistat

Unistat

My wife and I were in an accident a few months ago. We were in our Focus stopped at a red light when a young lady rear-ended us at about 20-25 Mph. We were shoved into the back of a 15 passenger church van. I was in the passenger seat with my G23 in a Blackhawk! (modified) IWB holster, my wife had her .38 snub in a belly band and we both had our seatbelts on.

Because I was in the passenger seat, the shoulder strap came down on my left side opposite the gun. The lap belt did cross over my right (gun) hip, but my IWB is just past 3 o'clock, so the belt was forward of it. I did not have any problem with this arrangement. I did crack a rib on my left side where the shoulder strap came down toward my left hip. Afterwards we ate lunch with the friend who came to pick us up. Towards the end of lunch and after I got home, I began to have symptoms of a mild concussion which went away after a couple of hours. My wife had zero problems with her rig and no injuries.

At the scene, after the officer checked on the young lady (she was pretty shaken up), I discreetly told him that my wife and I were carrying. In Michgan, we are obligated to inform when we are stopped for a traffic violation. I probably did not have to tell him in this case but he would find out after he ran our plates regardless. I did not want to have any suprises. He thanked me for telling him and that was that.

The Focus was totaled. I really liked that little green car. :( It was paid for, about 6 years old (176,000 miles). I wanted to get at least another couple of years out of it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There was a GT'er this happened to a few years ago. I don't recall 100%, but I think the Officer had the guy sign something for it, then turned it over to the hospital security dept.

IGF

9. forjoshhall

forjoshhall

my interpretation of this is that he is asking what could happen to HIM due to carrying in that position if in an accident. My best guess is based off of similar circumstance but without a gun. In my accident, i was t-boned at about 35 mph and the clasp dug a chunk out of my hip because it caught on my belt, had a gun been between my hip and the seatbelt, i would probably have a pretty cool gun silhouette scar on my hip right now. Although that may be kind of cool and make for a good story, i will pass and usually take mine out of my holster and tuck it under my thigh while driving, or put it the gun safe i have mounted to my transmission hump. just my thoughts.