close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Been awhile..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Feb 10, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

So it's been quite some time since I put up my reloading bench. Between the economy sucking my funds dry and lack of primers and powder, everything got put on hold. Last Friday I ordered a set of 9mm dies (originally had intended on loading 223), Saturday I picked up primers/powder/corn cob, and today I'm tumbling some brass hoping that my dies arrive today.

I picked up Titegroup, and I have 115gr FMJ bullets. The titegroup bottle says 4.8 max -10% for first load and titrated for effect. I plan on starting out with 4.5gr, loading 10 rounds and taking them to the range. If anyone else has further 9mm load data I'd appreciate it..

Oh I did have one question. I'm using a rock tumbler I picked up off a buddy. I filled the containers (had two) about halfway with brass, then went to about 80-90% full with corn cob, I figured it would need some room to breathe. I've heard 2-3 hours so I'll check later, but does that fill level sound ok?

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

4.2g is pretty much the standard load for both 115/124g FMJ bullets with TG.

As for your tumbler question, I have no experience with that type so it sound like what you are doing should be a good baseline to either add/remove cases/media. Either way get some Nu-Finish car polish a capfull per load along with a capful of paint thinner, then toss in a cut-up used dryer sheet. Your brass will come out clean/polished and the dust will be minimized.

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Thanks for that!

Is that in place of tumbling media or in addition to?

4. Boxerglocker

In addition to... run the tumbler 5minutes or so to break down the clumps, then add your brass.

5. n2extrm

n2extrm

Mike

I use sierra 115G JHP and titegroup. I started at 4.2 grains, my 19 was having a little trouble with cycling them. I ended up at 4.5 grains. I don't remember the coal but I will PM it to you and put it here for you. My point is 4.5 may be a little hot, maybe not. Load some at 4.2 and see how it goes and work it up. at 4.5 the gun runs well, the load feels good and accuracy was excellent. I got a chrono last year at the end of the year, but never got any pistol data. i only used it once on rifle so I have no velocity data for you. TG is fast so go slow and careful. I do like it for my 9mm. I am playing with some wst and wsf but the jury is out. As much as I don't like how fast Tg is, it really worked great in 9mm.

ETA:
    Mike

I was just checking my notes a few things came up. I used a COAL of 1.150" and 4.5 grains of titegroup with a Sierra 115grain jhp. I was in correct in my last post to you this was not my best group, it was the max load. My bad and why I should not answer without my note book infront of me! My best group was 4.2 grians with a COAL of 1.050" and a Sierra JHP 115grain. The load I had trouble with was 4.0 grains when the gun was new. I ran it as low as 3.8 grains with no problems once the G19 was fully broken in, but did not like hte results. Sierra has the 115 Jhp listed with TG from 3.7 grains @ 1.050" and a published velocity of 1000 fps to 4.5 grains @ 1.050" and a published velocity of 1150 fps. This is why titegroup is a tuff powder you have a range of 0.8 grains to play with. I will post this info in the other thread so others may read it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Well my stupid rock tumbler failed after the first batch, but at least I have a good 150 or so 9mm brass to start with. Thanks n2 I will give that a go.. I might load 5 @ 4.2 then 5@ 4.5 and see which works better.. I just don't want to load 100 at a bad load and waste all that time, powder, and primers..

7. Donutrcng

Donutrcng

I use 4.4 gr. Titegroup with a rem jacketed round nose for IDPA and this is a little above the power factor for 9mm. Really comprable to a WWB feel.

8. Boxerglocker

As a reference my loads chrono tested at WA State IDPA Championship last year.

4.0g TG with a 124g PD FMJ at 1.130" OAL shot through my G34 right at 1050 Fps with a deviation of 6. Thats right at 130 PF.

You'll want to go slow with that TG start at 4.0 and work up slowly as every batch is different. Not a food idea to jump right into 4.2 then 4.5, and don't forget to check your cases for pressure signs.