close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

beef

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Roddy, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Roddy

Roddy

I have a ton of ground beef at the house that my dad dropped off and was wondering what anyone might suggest for getting rid of it. I'm looking for any recipes that center around the beef and don't call for too many exotic ingredients, skill, or time. So whatever you can think of would be great. Burgers, stir fry type dishes, whatever.

2. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

ground beef ... hmmm...

italian (lasagna, spaghetti, etc)
    mexican (tacos, flautas, burritos, etc)
    meatloaf
    stuff bell peppers
    chili
    burgers
    manwich (sloppy joes)
    pizza topping (slighty brown and drain before putting on pizza)

-k

3. General Sherman

General Sherman

4. lwt210

lwt210

I would get "rid" of it by making up a boat load of burger patties mixed with my favorite steak sauce and firing them babies up over a hot lump charcoal or mesquite fire. I would also wrap some and freeze them for later.

Then, I would take some and make the same chili recipe that I made last night. Three cans of either dark or light kidney beans, an onion, a green pepper, a tomato diced up, 1 and 1/2 Budweisers, three cans of tomato sauce, a little garlic, some soy sauce for browning the meat, and spices to taste. Threw a few strips of bacon in there for good luck.

We like ours hot so it called for extra big helpings of black pepper, crushed red pepper and a ton of chili powder. We just reheated it tonight and I am suffering from over-eating (again).

If there was any meat leftover, I'd make up piles of soft shelled tacos with all of the fixings.

I wish that someone would drop off about forty pounds of black angus steaks here. I would call in sick for a week and just grill and eat. It would be the best vacation that I ever had.

5. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Don't forget that you can use it to make jerkey. My father just did this over the weekend with 11lbs of meat that he had. This is a little time consuming but worth it in the end. Just something to think about.

6. Roddy

Roddy

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll make sure I try some.

Nicky, how do you make jerkey out of ground beef? I love jerkey and would love to try and make some.

7. noway

noway

here's a crowd pleasure. Take about 3 lbs of ground beef or enough for 4 persons and add one lipton cup soup mix and mix & even thru out the ground beef.

Then start the grill and make "Hamburgers", prep time is low, cost ( since you got the beef free ;f ) is just a pkg or soup mix or roughly 10cts or les. The tastes will be great. You can add a little chopped onions and peppers if you like.

8. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Roddy, my dad is the one who made the beef jerkey. I actually had some tonight and it was good!! All he did was use really lean ground beef, of course you can grind the meat yourself in the future, but it one less step that you have to make. He added some jerkey seasoning & most importantly he added some cure to prevent the meat from going bad. He bought a Jerkey Gun & some seasoning from Cabela's. He did some in his dehydrator and in his oven. The oven was set at 170 with the door held open with a wooden spoon. This is to allow the air to circulate. He cooked it for @ 3 hours. The meat is not hard and chewy, it is more the consitancy of a Slim Jim. You can obviously cook it longer if you like it more chewy and dry. You can also experiment with other meats. Good luck with it, I know I will be trying it after we come back from vacation.

9. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

Laab Nua

Ingredients

* Grounded beef 2 lbs
    * Green onion (sliced) 1/2 cup
    * Red onion cut in thin wedges 1/2 cup
    * Mint leaves (shreded) 1/2 cup
    * Fish sauce to taste
    * Lime juice 4 table spoons

Grounded roasted-rice 1 cup
    * Green pepper (sliced) 1 teaspoon

Directions
    Stir the beef in the hot pan until it is quite done. Leave it cool down.
    Mix the beef with fish sauce and then add lemon juice; add green onion, red onion, pepper, and mint leaves; add fish sauce or lime juice to taste. Add the roasted rice powder. Taste it one more time and add ingredients until it tastes right.
    Eat with rice or sticky rice. Look for some crunchy vegetable like lettuce or napa to eat it with.

(Note: To prepare the grounded roasted rice: first of all heated a pan and put in one cup of rice, stir it back and forth until it is getting brown. Use a coffee grounder to grind it. Some like it fine while others may like it rough. The rough one could add texture to your laab. If you cannot find green pepper, use the dried one but you have to roast it first and then grind it. The laab should have a combination of sourness, saltyness, and hotness. Don't ever add sugar!)