close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Becoming a Glock Armorer

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dakota Carpenter, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Dakota Carpenter

Dakota Carpenter

I recently discovered that a Glock Armorer course is being held in my area. The class isn't for another month or so but I have a few questions before I sign up. What prior knowledge should I have before the class? I know how to full disassemble a glock, but what else should I know? I know that I have to become a GSSF member aswell. Also can anyone give me a summary of the glass and the test at the end? The help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MikeG36

MikeG36

Sorry to tell you this but the Bismark courses in May are full.

You don't need any special skills to take the course. Just pay attention and you will learn everything you need to know. The test is 25 questions long and if you pay attention you will know all the answers. I scored 100% and didn't think it was tough at all but I think there might have been one or two who failed.

Not only will you learn how to properly maintain, diagnose problems and repair Glock pistols but being certified means that Glock will sell parts directly to you. That alone is worth the price of admission.

3. rooster626

rooster626

I too am interested in taking a armorer's course but looking at the schedules for my area (vegas) it looks like all of them are for LEO only.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

#1 You got to be a GSSF Member and I have known guys travel couple hundred miles just to take the class which means motels and such. Plus you really got to be on top of it because classes fill up rather quickly.

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Good class, in my opinion. I found out I was eligible after signing up for GSSF. Not only can get parts directly from Glock, but you can also order pistols at LE pricing, too. A fellow member here inquired about whether the pistols are limited to two per certification period, or two per year, and Cory from Glock responded back two per year.

According to DannyR, you become eligible to take the longer, Advanced Armorer course after two years of being certified. I asked about this after I completed my course, and I remember him responding back with that info.

I initially went through the Ptooma Productions manual I bought, and it had enough information in it where I was able to completely disassemble and reassemble my pistols.

Oh yeah, they also serve you lunch there :) Have fun if you can get it--the classes fill up quickly.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

All you need to know going into the class is how to field strip a Glock. All you need to bring is a pen and safety glasses. The schedule is updated weekly at www.glocktraining.com

Check back often for recently added classes.

The class begins promptly at 8am and concludes with a written 25 question exam around 5pm. Class includes lunch. You also get your own Armorer's Manual and Addendums, Glock Pen, Glock tool and orange inspection plate. Your certificate arrives about 8 weeks after you complete the class, and is good for 3 years.

Class size is limited to 33. Some classes are restricted to L.E. only and are indicated as such. If a class is full, you may be able to register and get on a waiting list--worth a try.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. 8th ID

8th ID

You've received excellent info already. All I will add is that you should brace yourself for the "Who needs the course, It's not worth the money, a monkey could do it, Glocks never break, etc. and it's too expensive blah, blah, blah" comments that ARE going to come. Trust me. It's still early.:wow:

8. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I took the course and enjoyed it. If you attend, I am sure you will too. You are taught the proper way to disassemble and reassemble the Glock, and you may learn to correct something you were actually doing wrong prior to the class (for me, it was magazine disassembly).

Also, having the official and current armorers manual was worth it to me. This is not something you can just go out and buy.

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Well, while your IQ will probably increase by at least 10 points you're, also, going to have to kiss your Glock modifications and atypical aftermarket parts good-bye. You can't (legitimately) do Glock mods if you're an armorer. You might get farther and enjoy what you're doing more if you simply spend your money on a copy of PTOOMA's, 'Glock Reference Manual'.

How, in the world, do you do that? Fall asleep during the course, or something! :dunno:

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

The one that I know failed was the guy that KNEW EVERYTHING.

He could take it apart(without paying attention to the instructor)

He could put it together (without paying attention)

He just did not pay attention when the questions were being discused(he knew everything)

He did not know how to do it right and failed the test.

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Now THAT is an excellent explanation of someone with a closed mind! :supergrin:

My first job out of college was with AT&T. I held a technical position and had to attend a company orientation program. The subject matter was utterly inane phone company techno-babble. After suffering through 2 weeks of this techno-crap and fighting to stay awake much of the time, management hit us up with a surprise final exam.

Well, I damned near flunked! I got called into a senior manager's office and questioned as to, 'How' a bright guy like me could almost flunk their orientation course? So, what was my punishment? During the first year's employment all 20 or 30 of the other guys in the class were promoted up to full pay scale over me. (Vindictive, weren't they!)

I took it until I'd suffered sufficient financial hardship and taken more than enough ribbing. One morning I called a senior manager over and told him I wasn't, 'going to take it, anymore'. He was one of the plant's 2 lead engineers; he said he'd review my, 'situation' and let me know. I didn't hear anything for another 2 or 3 weeks. Then another payday rolled around.

When I opened the envelope I was surprised to see that I'd been promoted 2 full pay grades above anyone else in the department and given the money to match! Hell, it was almost enough money to make me actually like working for AT&T! Some people do well on tests; others don't It's not, necessarily, a negative reflection on the individual. There can be lot's of reasons, 'Why'. ;)

12. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Old Pirate

Do retired military qualify for the course or active duty only?

13. Dakota Carpenter

Dakota Carpenter

Thanks for all the info guys. The class im looking at signing up for is in Moorhead, MN and as of yesterday there was still five open spots. I'm not sure if I can get the GSSF membership in time for the class but it's worth a try!

14. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

As far as I know you just need to have that LEO certification for your state.

15. DannyR

Send an E-mail to gssf@glock.us with your membership application attached as a pdf file and also a note that you will be taking that armorer's class. Do this asap. Then fill out the enrollment form at www.glocktraining.com and submit it, also asap.

16. Dakota Carpenter

Dakota Carpenter

So Danny, if I email GSSF with my application do I have to have my credit card number attached aswell? I don't really want tô do that but if I have to I will. Can you tell me where I should attach it?

17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

18. DannyR

If you e-mail, you must list your credit card number on the app.

19. Dakota Carpenter

Dakota Carpenter

Okay well I think I sent it will I receive any confirmation?

20. NCHeel

NCHeel

No conformation. Will know when they charge your card.