Becoming A Detective

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by area727, Jan 6, 2010.

1. area727

area727 G23

Hello Everyone,

What is a typical career path for someone to become a detective? I understand it will probably vary some from department to department.

With no prior LE work history, could someone potentially be hired on as a detective?

(No, this is not what I am trying to do, just trying to help settle an argument with someone)

2. trifecta

trifecta

Ya...no. There are a few Investigator type jobs that don't always require patrol experience. Alcoholic Beverage Commission and Arson would be a couple of examples. If it's a bet, just tell them no and take their money.

3. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

generally atleast in my area you are looking at several years (3-5 min) of patrol work. Then gaining rank in patrol as Cpl or preferably Sgt rank then you have a chance at getting into detectives work if you desire,

As far as I go patrol is where is at, detectives work is not fun (I have done it a few times and always go back)

4. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

What he said.

5. area727

area727 G23

Thanks guys. Had it been a bet, I would have won the money.

I was discussing my interest in becoming an officer with someone, and they said, you should be apply to become a detective. I said, yeah right, dont think its that easy. I figured you need to put in 5-10 years of patrol before getting a real shot at detective.

thanks again.

6. groovyash

groovyash

Well first you have to be scared of criminals. Then you have to do 3-5 years as a mediocre patrol officer. Then you have to have a cousin with rank.. then....;)

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I heard if you have some college, then you can apply to skip the whole patrol thing because that's for guys with GEDs and who wants to do that stupid crap anyway? If you got the BA degree, then you get hired in as a 2nd lieutenant just like the army and you can get your own platoon and yell at the old salty sergeant who's been there like 20 years but has to salute you who is all of 21, but you have a fancy degree or something.

8. area727

area727 G23

Around my area, you need a bachelors degree to apply, even for standard patrol. I have graduated college, but somehow still don't see it being quite that 'easy'.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

It's true! Also, you can volunteer to be on an undercover task force right out of the academy and they will put you on it because you have not had street time as a patrolman so you won't have patrolman habits that will get you "made" in an undercover situation and also, nobody will know your face. You get a promotion right away too and graduate detective II with a detective's gold shield.

AWESOMENESS!

10. trifecta

trifecta

You must have worked in East Texas!

11. trifecta

trifecta

If a cop or fireman says something, and there is a serious meaning and a sarcastic meaning, assume it is sarcastic. And there won't always be a smilie.

12. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

What's odd is that I have heard that in other counties it the opposite. When you are hired you are put to work in the office doing investigations and learning policy, procedure, and the law. After several years of working investigations you are promoted to patrol to deal with the public at large.

Both methods make sense if you think about it.

13. trifecta

trifecta

Don't think I've seen that. What part of the country or what type agency is it?

14. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

I want to say this is the way they do it in France, and I believe the Columbian police do things this way as well (of course they also ride six deep in the back of pickup trucks to calls and carry UZI's and FAL's as duty guns). No where like this in this country that I know of. I was just making an observation on the subject, not arguing the point.

15. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

Here, you have to be scared of the street, or too fat to work the street. You probably have to know somebody. Then once you start getting assigned cases you ***** about how poor the patrol officers work is and then ***** some more about how you have to do follow-up investigation. Then after about a month of procrastinating you send the file to the DAs office where they decide to dismiss it anyways.

16. trifecta

trifecta

Sorry to hear that. How long have you been in CID?

17. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

:wow:
    Ouch! I smell toast! Anybody else smell toast? Smells a little like toast in here....

18. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Traditional primary law enforcement agencies, no way in hell, unless they are laterals with a lot of time in and investigative specialty and experience (like 20-30 years).

State Bureaus of Investigation, Alcohol Law Enforcement, etc., everyone comes in as an investigator.

Hahahaha... :rofl:

That actually happens fairly frequently here with young academy graduates.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  19. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2018

...\o/...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

It's true! I saw it in that street racing documentary, "Fast n Furious". Not only did a rookie P1 get to be undercover, he also took point in the SWAT raid later. Yep, happens all the time... good for learning how to be a cop too.

I knew a guy who I worked with who went to do 21 Jump Street because he looked really young. He still had to put in time on the street first before he got plucked though.

My buddy got offered a detective badge out of the academy if he would do Asian Gang task force but he turned it down because he didn't want his family to be chopped up by the gangs.