close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beckley Gun Club/ 1st match overview/ a little helpful advice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Aug 13, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I just got back from my first GSSF match in Beckley WV. I had the time of my life and all I can think of now is getting to the next one. And by the way a thanks goes out to all of you (Danny, Ron, Ed, John, Jimmy, etc.) that made me and my father feel so welcome. I love this game!!!! I had an OK match but I probably would have done better if I had got any sleep the night before and if my nerves were not so bad from being all amped up. Beckley Gun Club is a beutiful range and there is plenty of room and there seemed to be a good turn out. However, the road going in is somewhat steep. My father and I saw a mobile-home that was unable to get up the hill on the way out. But as long as the weather holds out and you don't drive a vehicle that's not meant for these types of roads (dirt and gravel) you should be alright. To the driver of the mobile-home I am sorry we couldn't help but our Toyota Corolla wasn't fit for the job. And thanks again guys you made the match seem less like a bunch of strangers and more like a bunch of friends and family.:wavey: Hope to see you all at the next event I attend, Mike

2. mike g35

mike g35

By the way Ed I left my arm and my leg in the parking lot for you. Remember our wager? What was that time on the plates, 1.7 or 1.8? For real though, nice shooting, my hat is off to you.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1.93 seconds, official single string time.

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

You owe it to all of those that helped you, advice-wise, to post your scores. Did you meet your goals?

5. mike g35

mike g35

I am going to post my rough score as soon as I get it calculated. And I thank all of you for your help as well. My times were nothing like I thought they would be. Shooting a match is way different than shooting at the range. And I was very nervous when I shot the 5 to Glock so my score won't be what it could of been. The Glock M and the plates I did OK. Actually with my G35 racegun in unlimited I did manage to shoot all A and B hits with only one C on the Glock M stage. The main thing is I had the time of my life and I will be doing this for a long time. So I guess the answer is yes, I did reach my goals. Thanks again guys.

6. DannyR

If you had a good time, then you achieved the greatest goal of all.

7. mike g35

mike g35

Goal achieved then x1000!!!:supergrin: I even enjoyed pasting targets, it only seemed right to help the staff at the event. Look what they do for us.

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

1.93 like Danny said. Either timer screwed up or the sun and stars lined up for me and I got lucky, or both. I've had quite a few sub 3 second plate strings so it isn't that far of a streach to think I could of shot a 1.93. Overall my performance sucked and I should of and I can do much better.

9. mike g35

mike g35

Best I can figure is UL=91.55 and CA=181.02:faint: . Hey at least I didn't lie:tongueout:. Guess I need some more work with my stock G17 and I totally screwed up on the Five to Glock. Thats the stage that forced me into such a bad time. But for a first match and for really having no idea what was going on I will take that score and smile. I did manage to shoot the Glock M with no penaltys UL and only 12 seconds CA. But scores to the side I had a great time and at least it wont be hard to beat my last scores when I shoot Lexington.:supergrin:

10. SARDG

SARDG

I know the 2 divisions you shot, but for future clarity... Amateur Civilian or AmCiv or just Civilian.

Did the far target get you on the 5tG? Did you engage them as they appeared in your sights - L to R, or R to L?

11. DannyR

Mike engaged all targets as they appeared, which is how I coached him. He is a fine student. First match jitters are sometimes hard to overcome. Mike has a much higher confidence level with his race gun. After shooting the match, he now knows what to practice and how to practice it in order to improve his first match scores. I expect him to win a 1st Place pistol by this time next year.

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

with the old scoring method my first match was around 300. i've improved a little since then, and the change in scoring didn't hurt.

13. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Very true Mike, good shooting and im glad you had fun. You will probably see big improvements just from the experience and knowing what to work on.

As a side note, i know you had alot of great advice from the good ppl of this forum. I tried to warn you about those Evil cardboard targets:cool:

I look forward to meeting you in Lexington, The stars and sun will have to align for me to win anything there. Pending the finalization of the MI results I'll be shooting against the likes of Ed and all the other fine masters.:faint:

Until then, go slay some cardboard and steel!

14. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks for yesterday coach I appreciated all of your advice. I did have alot of first time jitters but after the 5tG I started to calm down. The real test for me will be in Lexington. All I want to do is put up a better score than I did here and if I do then in my eyes it's a win. Thanks to all of you for your help, and by the way, I just got back from "slaying some cardboard and steel" and I wish I had shot that way yesterday. It's raining pretty bad here now, I am glad I shot yesterday but I hate this for the guys out there today.

15. mike g35

mike g35

SARDG my gun was shaking like there was an earthquake I was so nervous. It wasn't the far targets and it wasn't the close ones. It was all of them:rofl:. Hard to shoot when you can't see your sights because you are shaking like a politician taking a lie detector test. Thanks for the heads up on the "AmCiv" thing.

16. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Glad you enjoyed it! It is addicting trying to beat your last score. My goal is to beat my last matches best score by 10 seconds each time, at that pace it will take me like 10 years to be as good as the masters are today :crying: but its all for fun and practice.

17. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

wow, if your going to Columbia, I could use some advice also.
    Greg

18. The Highlander

The Highlander

I shot Sunday, so I apparently missed meeting any of you guys. Good job Mike. My first match was last year in Knoxville, and I was awful. After the first one, I knew what to expect, and I've cut my times tremendously. Actually, I learned to shoot slower and more accurately first. I've cut penalty times for missing by a huge margin. And I noticed that in Beckley, I was shooting more quickly as well. For ME, it seems like accuracy is most important, and the speed is coming all by itself as I practice and gain experience.

My goal is to improve each match. And I'd like to be in the top 25% of shooters in the classes I shoot. I haven't improved each time, but overall I certainly have. Obviously I don't know how I did in Beckley yet, but I've been in the top 25-35% of shooters so far. Well, except for shooting Subcompact with my wife's G26. We will not speak of that debacle please.

19. SARDG

SARDG

Wow, that's a noble goal. Some matches are won by a couple hundreths of a single second.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  20. mike g35

mike g35

I thought Danny was only attending one more match this year and I thought it was Topton PA but if he does go to Columbia I am sure he would help you. :wavey: