1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
"Please note that Robber Crabs are protected (and respected) here on Christmas Island"

Are they protected from punting?

·
What did I come in here for?
10,945 Posts
Apparently they can crack a coconut open, but when people are around they get lazy.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
"Do robber crabs taste good?
Yes, it is considered a delicacy and aphrodisiac by many Pacific Islanders. It supposedly tastes like a cross between lobster and crab, but it is not commercially viable for harvesting, according to a site I checked out on Google."

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Oh hell no.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Reactions: 'Ol Grandad

·
Director of civil unrest
8,587 Posts
https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/family-picnic-party-crashed-giant-robber-crabs

I don't think a large crustacean like that would be safe around a New England barbecue. I mean, they look like...hors d'oeuvres. Look at those claws!

Of course, it's Australia. If you crack them open, they probably emit a toxic gas cloud, and you die.
Or swim up your pee-pee, then blow up with thorns protruding.
PS: Oh nevermind, turns out it's just some internet BS. : (

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,022 Posts
Ummm..... I would kill for a nice serving or four of schrimps, Alaskan King Crab, proper lobster, fresh mussels in butter and such -- but I just cannot imagine eating that thing! Yes, I'm picky so sue me -- but I'd rather not have to SHOOT my seafood, ya know?

So this is in Oz (where lots of over-sized non-humans live, so I've read) -- hum... what about NZ?

Apparently they can crack a coconut open, but when people are around they get lazy.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,022 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The crabs figured out that Australia took away everyone's guns so they can't be hurt and the people are spineless to say no you can't. Now the crabs have become peaceful robbers.........

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
... So this is in Oz (where lots of over-sized non-humans live, so I've read) -- hum... what about NZ?
My sister-in-law is Australian. Well Australia was a Penal Colony and NZ was a place where people from Europe wanted to go too.

Reactions: MB-G26

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The crabs figured out that Australia took away everyone's guns so they can't be hurt and the people are spineless to say no you can't. Now the crabs have become peaceful robbers.........
You need to watch Crocodile Dundee again. Aussies like big knives and fist fighting.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
E307B09C-3672-4C87-B2DA-06A02EE78846.jpeg

Maybe this will help with scale.....

Reactions: BOOSTED12A

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or swim up your pee-pee, then blow up with thorns protruding.
PS: Oh nevermind, turns out it's just some internet BS. : (
Species of Vandellia catfish. Very small. Spines on the fins, pectorals, I think. Usually parasitizes gills of larger fish feeding on blood. The theory was (still is, maybe?) that the few times they've nailed some poor dude's urethra is that they mistook the urine stream for water exciting a fish's gills. Ahh...maybe. Think I'd just pass on peeing while waist deep in the Amazon.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,022 Posts
My sister-in-law is Australian. Well Australia was a Penal Colony and NZ was a place where people from Europe wanted to go too.
Yup... Oz was the British prison ship destination for one side of my 'ancestors' a gazillion years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts