Glock Talk banner

Beavertail for G-19 seems overly "flexible"

1619 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  188006
Hi All,
i recently purchased a Glock beavertail backstrap for my wife's G-19, Gen 4 from Glock. I have a slightly newer G4 G-19 that included the beavertail backstrap as part of the original purchase and it fit like a glove and feels quite tight and secure. I installed the recently purchased one on my wife's G-19 last night. I installed it and find that the beavertail on her G-19 flexes at the top instead of being tight (more description below), like on mine.

The part looks right but the actual tail can be pulled back and down at least a 1/4" off the top of the back of the pistol. When released it will spring forward and look normal. This flexibility should not affect operation of the pistol (I will check it out at range of course), but it seems wrong.

The recently purchased beavertail looks identical to the one on my newer G-19. I wonder if my G19 has the "nose" which holds the beaver tail more securely (from the installation guide, step 5, "Note: The beavertail backstrap fits older Gen4 pistols without the small nose") OR whether there is a product problem. I could take apart my beaver tail backstrap to see if there is a "nose" on it, but it took me awhile to get the pin to line up right and don't want to mess with what is working right. This "nose" business may explain why some folks have significant problems installing the beaver tail
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory
▶ 9:10

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEe7jvCpozU

WHEREAS others have said it is simple (see comments).

I have a note to Glock Customer Service, but would appreciate any input on this. Thank You, MCJ
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,549 Posts
Mine feels very secure now that it's on correctly. Unfortunately I had to use the try-try-again method to get it on right so I'm not sure precisely what wasn't lined up just right the first few tries when it was loose.

I would try putting it on bottom first then top first til it clicks in just right. I've heard people promote either method.

· You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,968 Posts
I lost track. You know you have to use an extended pin to hold the backstrap in place? Did you try it on the other 19?

Reactions: refugeepj

· Registered
12,075 Posts
not rocket science.
will snap in and the retaining pin, properly installed, will keep it in place.

video not as important as common sense.

simple installation, have this on my G19, G29 and G20.

personal preference.

· Read Only
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not rocket science.
will snap in and the retaining pin, properly installed, will keep it in place.

video not as important as common sense.
The proper retaining pin is in place and the side seams are tight. Just the tail pulls back; it is not clear why. No need to encourage “common sense” when my inquiry is earnest and reflects issues others have had. I have a Glock armorer neighbor I will consult with if I cannot figure what is wrong. Before I do any work on my firearms, I typically view available instructions, video demos, etc. to anticipate problems that others have encountered and solved. That is one of the reasons for being on the forum. From my perspective, I am exercising “common sense.” What does it add to suggest an insult?

· Registered
12,075 Posts
The proper retaining pin is in place and the side seams are tight. Just the tail pulls back; it is not clear why. No need to encourage “common sense” when my inquiry is earnest and reflects issues others have had. I have a Glock armorer neighbor I will consult with if I cannot figure what is wrong. Before I do any work on my firearms, I typically view available instructions, video demos, etc. to anticipate problems that others have encountered and solved. That is one of the reasons for being on the forum. From my perspective, I am exercising “common sense.” What does it add to suggest an insult?
never did i intend an insult.
was simply suggesting slow down.
think your way through it.
the part will snap into place, and will be retained when done correctly.
i wish you all the best.
my humble apology offered if i sounded insulting.
GLOCK armorer will, i am certain be beneficial if your struggles continue.
if we were neighbors, i would gladly assist!

· Read Only
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
never did i intend an insult.
was simply suggesting slow down.
think your way through it.
the part will snap into place, and will be retained when done correctly.
i wish you all the best.
my humble apology offered if i sounded insulting.
GLOCK armorer will, i am certain be beneficial if your struggles continue.
if we were neighbors, i would gladly assist!
Thank you for clarifying. And I would and do appreciate your assistance.

· Registered
3,041 Posts
The early Gen4s do not have the notch for a beaver tail back strap to attach to, they were only intended for the standard back strap.

Compare your gun to her’s. If she doesn’t have the same notch the beaver tail won’t work.

Reactions: 188006

· Read Only
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The early Gen4s do not have the notch for a beaver tail back strap to attach to, they were only intended for the standard back strap.

Compare your gun to her’s. If she doesn’t have the same notch the beaver tail won’t work.
Thank you. You are an Advanced Certified Amorer I see. Well, cool. Glock store makes no reference to this notch and I will take a look hopefully this weekend. Is there a shooting risk with leaving it on with the flex? The pin does hold it in place.

· MacGyver
10,807 Posts
Not really needed unless your wife has ham or fleshy hands. More cosmetic than useful and increases the girth of the grip. Choose one of the other grips that fit the gun and the hand.

Leaving it on or off unlikely to matter in your current state of experience. Get some professional instruction for both you and your wife, and the money will be well spent, and leap/bound farther and faster than you will do on your own.

· Registered
3,041 Posts
Here's a pic of an early Gen4 G37 (right) and later Gen4 G31 (left). Without the notch the beavertail doesn't lock on/fit right. Does it matter? I don't know, I don't use beavertails because I don't feel I can get as high a grip with them. If you don't think the looseness would result in her getting pinched it might not matter but I personally would choose a non-beavertail backstrap.

Reactions: 188006
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.