·
Private side
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You know, the one you carried in the tool box, tackle box, center console or door pocket before you had a holster or safe or magnet.
Something that got beat to **** but still works.
I’ll start- This weathered old Pre Model 10 was purchased for 60 bucks from a childhood acquaintance that bought a used car he later found had a clanking sound. He found it under the spare tire in the bottom of the trunk.
He wasn’t a gun guy and he needed money so after having the local PD verify the gun wasn’t listed as stolen, I bought it.
It appears that somewhere a while back someone cut the barrel and rounded the butt before soldering the sight back on the gun. I had a gunsmith check it out and once deemed safe, fired 3 cylinders of standard velocity 158 grain JHP reloads through it. Accuracy was acceptable at 7 yds so I changed the crappy grips that were on it and now use it as tackle box, hunting in the rain, hang in the front closet type gun.

·
NRA Life Member
5,807 Posts
Not a thing of aesthetic beauty, but it has functional beauty!

A few of those kind of guns are great to have- use and enjoy, but pampering isn’t required.

You gotta great deal.

Edited to add after reading more posts- my above comments are based on the assumption the gun is in good mechanical order. A pretty finish is nice, but not required for uses where further wear and scratches are likely. If a gunsmith gives it the green light, and your own shooting confirms it’s dependable, I don’t see a problem.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I don't think I treat any of my tools so poorly.

I guess the closest I have to a beater is my APX, travel with it, fish with it in the vest, whatnot.

But I clean it afterwards, so it still looks just fine. Good finish on the Beretta.

·
NRA Life Member
5,807 Posts
Sure, looks something like this.

686 with a lock, a 2.5" barrel, and only 6 shots. Who in there right mind wants something like that. They either want pre-lock, 3" barrel with full length extract, or 7 shots.

Nonetheless, this gun is one I grab, shoot, and don't clean :)

I think any gun you use without babying or fear of wear can be considered a “beater”- every gun can’t be handled with kid gloves if you plan to get down and dirty with it.

You have a good choice there.

I also have several politically incorrect (from a S&W enthusiast point of view) late model S&W guns that have locks like yours, and I’m not afraid to use any of them like the tools they are.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Guns are meant to be used, shot, and handled as tools....not man jewelry. Wear adds character. :D
Hard use = good, neglect = bad.

Thats what I think. And I'm very hard on my tools, less hard on my guns ... generally.

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,754 Posts
Ive got a beater Browning HP with the old black paint they used to use as the finish. It’s ugly as original sin but feels great shoots straight and goes bang every time

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,754 Posts
Double Post

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
My first purchase was a beat up 870 wingmaster that had been roughly handled in the field. Someone later put dura-coat on it. I bought it at a gun shop for $100. But it did shoot fine.

·
Private side
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Proper gun cleaning could have prevented this.
That is cleaned and oiled and mechanically checked. It works every time and remarkably is not out of time.
Don’t take this thread as condoning allowing the gun to get on this condition.”; no gun I own has even gotten such poor treatment. I buy a LOT of used guns, probably on the 15-1 ratio. I won’t buy a mechanically unsound one unless I know it can be fixed but pitting on the finish, nothing that scares me off. Needs new sights? Knock some money off the price. You dropped your Sig and have a gouge in the slide so now you want to sell it at a hellavu deal? Here’s my number.
Somewhere out in GT land are some folks with a good n the neighbor gave them because “Uncle Ned has this old XYZ in his garage” and no one knows what to do with it. He’ll, folks complaining about Glocks new finish would go brainlocked if they had to shoot a gun like the one I posted.
If this gun wasn’t rocking along 100% I’d’ve tosses it; but it works and it’s better than a sharp stick.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts