close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bears and Guns

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by xpainmasterx, May 8, 2003.

1. xpainmasterx

xpainmasterx

On another link abou a bear attack someone posted
    "I'm going overboard wanting a 4 3/4" Freedom Arms in .475 Linbaugh for salmon fishin' in Alaska "

My question is this:

Are ANY handguns shown to relaibly stop bears ?

I know folks that hunt wild hogs with .44 Magnum, which seems a little crazy to me, but a handgun for a BEAR ??????

2. MarksGlock22

MarksGlock22 The Punisher

Just yesterday I went to the local zoo, and I tested a .480 Ruger, 474 linbaugh and the new .500 from S&W on the polar bears.

They all died.

;f ;a ;f ;a

3. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Its not like they will actually be attacked by bear.But I say let them spend their money on what ever makes them confident. The gun manufacturers can use the dollars in this slow economy.

4. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Doesn't matter. If if doesn't work the ammo manufacturer will get sued (remember the "Lion" thread?)

5. mwheeler

mwheeler

If it matters that you kill or disable the bear immediately, and may be in a state of high anxiety when you shoot because you or your party are under attack... I've read that you should probably keep a 12 gauge with slugs close at hand.

6. noway

noway

MarksGlock22

I'm ROFL with that one.

I could see somebody just doing that for a test/experiment.

"Here today we are trying out glocks in differenet caliber with Jim the Polar bear , first we have a glock model ......................."

7. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

I have shot a .475 linebaugh and it had an 8"bbl. I cannot imagine the recoil from a .475 with a 4.5" bbl! Yes, if you can hit the bear, it will kill it.
    -Mike

8. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

I was the one who posted that. I know its unlikely I would ever get attacked by a bear, but isn't better to be safe than sorry? I mean after all isn't that why we carried concealed? And the reason for the .475 is because I just like that caliber. A .454 would be more than adequete, but why not get more power from the same size gun? And the 4 3/4" barrel (ported of course) is for compactness and weight.

9. Ragnar

Ragnar

The best, most relilable handgun for bear is a .22LR pistol. You have to know how to use the gun, though. Here's the deal:

1. NEVER ever go into bear country alone. ALWAYS bring an unarmed friend.
    2. When bear gets uppity, you and your friend run like h*ll.
    3. Draw your .22 and shoot your friend in the leg.
    4. You will not be able to outrun the bear, but you will outrun your friend.
    5. Sell your story to FOX News. You might consider leaving out the shooting your friend part.

;g ;g ;g ;g

10. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Haha. :)

11. vafish

vafish

First let me say that I have a couple of friends who live in Alaska and a good friend that grew up there.

All of them seem to laugh at people who carry a handgun for defense against a bear.

One of them (John) is a bush pilot and had a customer carrying a .44 mag on his hip. The customer said he was carrying it for protection from the bears. John told him it should work fine, the proper way to use it is to wait until the bear get's real close, like just before he puts his teeth around your leg, then you stick the muzzle into your mouth, pointed slightly upward and pull the trigger. You won't feel a thing when the bear eats you. (it's actually much funnier when John does it and makes the gun shape with his hand and sticks his finger into his mouth as he says it)

For what it's worth the US Forrest Service did a test of handguns, shotguns, and rifles to determine what was the best bear stoppers. Their recomendation is that no handgun round is sufficient. A .338 Win mag is marginal, and the only things that can be reliably counted on to stop an attacking bear is a .375 H+H mag or larger.

Their report can be read at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf

Other sites recommend a .300 win mag or larger or a 12 ga shotgun with slugs.

Such as this one:

http://svinet2.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/glacier/cabins/bearinfo.html

12. Captain Caveman

Interesting comment vafish , but didn't John Linebaugh use a .500 linebaugh to stop a bull elephant in Africa with a single head shot? If a handgun (cannon;) ) will stop an elephant I think it would be more than enough for an Alaskan Brown. If Im wrong somebody correct me, it has been know to happen.

13. vafish

vafish

DaReaper,

I'm not saying that a lesser caliber won't stop a bear. Just taht you shouldn't rely on one to do it.

There was a case last fall where a fisherman was chased by a bear (for some reason he threw his shotgun in the water as the bear was chasing him) his buddy had a 9mm with ball ammo (a notoriously bad stopper even on humans) fired several times, only hit the bear once and killed it. The shot penetrated deep enough and hit the bears heart. Based on that case you could say that a 9mm is enough for bear defense if you use hard ball. But, do you want to rely on a 9mm for bear? I don't.

I've heard stories about eskimo's (inuit's) shooting polar bear (and moose for that matter) with a .22. I'm not going out in bear country with just a .22.

Actually I took the time to re-read the USDA report, they don't call the .338 win mag marginal, it's the smallest caliber they found effective, although they said that the 220 gr. .30-06 had enough penetration that if you were very recoil sensitive you could use it. There recomendation is for a .375 H+H or a .458 win mag if you can handle it.

I'm not saying that a handcannon like the 478 or 500 linebaugh's won't stop a bear. What I'm saying is that the people I know who work around the big bears every day don't recommend it. I trust their advice.

Asking for advice on what to carry in bear country is just like asking for advice on what it the best caliber for CCW. You'll get a lot of opinions. You have to look at all the advice you get and decide what you are comfortable with. Hopefully your choice won't fail you when you need it.

14. Captain Caveman

I agree avfish. There is no way in he** I'd go out there with just a handgun. I'd also have a Weatherby in 30-378. The revolver would be when I had my pole (fishing pole you guys;Q ) in my hand and couldn't get to the rifle for whatever reason.

15. Pistol Packin' Pete

Pistol Packin' Pete

A handgun is marginal, but a 44 on the hip beats the hell out of a 458 100 yards away on the stream bank because you cant (or won't) carry it while you fish. A handgun has its place regardless of what folks say about it. That being said, a 44 sure seems to shrink when you are in Brown bear territory.

16. I'mjustagirl

I'mjustagirl

August 2002 - Russian River, Alaska - Salmon fishing hotspot for humans and bears alike

A fisherman shot and killed a sow grizzly. Fisherman 1 had a shotgun and didn't remember what "condition" it was in when the bear charged him. He threw his shotgun at the bear and jumped in the river. The sow then charged Fisherman #2 who shot the sow twice with his 9mm handgun. I believe he hit the bear in the shoulder and chest. Had he gone for a headshot I think this would NOT have turned out in his favor (unless he got an eye shot). Grizzlys have very thick skulls.

Side note....when you kill a bear in the Alaska, regardless of the circumstances, you are expected to skin it and dispose of it properly. These guys had dull knives and had never field dressed a bear before.

A week later, a girl fishing the same river hooked Fisherman #1's shotgun. Her dad (not knowing how to check a shotgun) pointed the gun towards the sky and pulled the trigger. The gun went off.

The article can be found on www.adn.com, use the archive search function and search "Russian River Grizzly Shot". I am not paying the $2.95 they want to view the archived article.;f

17. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

you guys are making the mistake of hunting a bear and stopping a charge. way to many people have killed bears while hunting useing a .44 mag to say that it cann't be done. but to stop a charge i think only a shot to the brain will do. and in this case i want as many shots as i can get. a glock 34 loaded with 17 rounds. the load would be a 147 grain fmj loaded to 1000 fps. this load would go plenty deep. and i'd have 17 rounds to hit the brain.

18. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

A grizzly's head is not too big when it is charging you at 30+ miles per hour. The brain is smaller yet, not to mention that it is protected by a very thick skull.

You'd better save the last for yourself.

19. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

Nobody in their right mind carries only a handgun to hunt or stop big alaskan bear. You carry a handgun, preferably a large caliber, because you can't always have a rifle for shotgun handy. When hunting you have to set your gun down to clean the game, when fishing, well just try reeling in a salmon using only one hand :) Therefore you carry an handgun on your hip because it is convient and easy to get to at the times when you must use your hands for something other than holding a rifle.. and is a whole lot better then poking the bear in the eye with a sharp stick.

Ty.

20. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Maybe a 45-70 government Magnum Reserach revolver;g