close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bear Pepper spray

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by frankybme, Sep 23, 2004.

1. frankybme

frankybme

Just wondering what you guys use for bear pepper spray? Whats a good brand or the popular?And genrally specking how affective is it?
    And in general what stuff do hunters use to keep them selfs safe?

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

My bear spray is a S&W 1006 10mm. Spray and pray!;f
    Seriously though, I do not trust any chemical spray. Does it work? I have never had the nerve to test it. But the local guy here at LDAP, I think, swears by it. It is the stuff in the white can and you see it advertised with the picture of the guy who has just been mauled.

I am not sure if I would buy a product that has a picture of a guy who has just been mauled.

--edit-- It is UDAP not LDAP. http://www.udap.com/

3. sy2k

sy2k

I used UDAP against a charging black bear in Yosemite. It worked - stopped him immediately. The only problem? He came back a half-hour later, and I was basically out of spray. It is also thought that spray isn't going to work a second time so soon against the same bear.

FWIW, UDAP is a fine product. Saved my life. I read in Backpacker? that Guard Alaska actually tested better in terms of its spray pattern. It is hard to miss with bear spray, since it sprays in a fog. I'll never forget the look on the bear's face when that cloud shot across his snout. It is also lightweight. Negatives are this: the spray pattern will not be good in strong winds and you only really get one shot. There are reports as well of bears that simply run through and maul/kill someone anyway.

I carry a Glock 29 with night sights these days, anytime I'm in the woods. And practice with it often. If hunting, I also have a rifle with me so that is actually my first choice. I figure a handgun, even the 10mm, is most likely to be effectively used at extremely close range, like when he's already on top of you. Car camping I usually have a Mossberg, loaded with slugs or buck shot, streamlight M3 attached to the mag tube. Unless you surprise one while hiking (you should try to be fairly noisy when in heavy bear country) your most likely encounter will be at night, usually having to do with the bear wanting your food, so be able to shoot (guns or spray) at night.

4. noway

noway

seeing how OC spray is and can be not effective on humans with my own 2 eyes, I would probably say you are gambling using a spray on a bear.

sy2k, own post clearly shows some of the cons in using a defensive spray on mother nature version of a very big raccoon.

> wind
    > quanity or the charge
    > one shot to get it right
    > might not be very effective on all bears

5. frankybme

frankybme

Yes but Usually theses people so high on drugs coke whatever, not much can stop them

6. noway

noway

OC spray doesn't work for everybody regardless if they are on or off drugs.

Even udap tells you this is a deterrent.

DO NOT SEEK OUT ENCOUNTERS WITH BEARS. THIS PRODUCT IS A BEAR ATTACK DETERRENT WHICH MAY PROTECT USERS IN SOME UNEXPECTED CONFRONTATIONS WITH BEARS BUT MAY NOT BE EFFECTIVE IN ALL SITUATIONS OR PREVENT ALL INJURIES. READ THIS ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE TAKING THIS PRODUCT INTO AREAS WHERE BEARS MIGHT BE ENCOUNTERED.
    KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

I highlighted the MAY PROTECT part.

So if it doesn't work, what would be your plan B?

will you have an adequate time to implemnt your plan B?

what if you encounter more than 2 bears? then what would do? Throw the now empty canister ( assuming it was empty on the 1st bear ) at the second bear?

I guess it's better than nothing, but I would be much happier and safer with a gun than a can of pepper spray. A handgun strap to an open holster would be much simpler and alot better chance of equaling the odds, vrs fumbling around for a big hairspray can of bear spray and try to get it out of your day or fanny pack.

Bullets and guns don't have the limitation of which the bearspray has, nor are effected by wind, they can be reload in fair quickness, easy to carry enough to fight off an army of bears, and if you miss or need a follow up shot, they offer that also.

I guess pick what make you feel good.;e

7. frankybme

frankybme

Lol Dont get me wrong i agree with you, just saying cant alwys be carrying around firearms. So a can of pepper spray can alawys help. or for that matter tons of thing you could be carying around for backup. In fact was trying to lear what else hunters carry for help besides guns and pepper spray thanks

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here in Montana you can always tell whether you are in black bear or grizzley country. Black bear poop has berry seeds and hair in it. Grizzley poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray. ;f

In Alaska though, they say if you are going to take a handgun into bear country you should file the front sight off of it. That way it doesn't hurt as bad when the bear takes it away from you and sticks it where the sun don't shine. ;f

9. A.F. Lineman

A.F. Lineman

10. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I grew up in Alaska,and came in contact with bears many times.If you carry spray only you are taking a huge risk,people using spray only have been killed and mauled very badly.Firearms are still your best bet against a bear.There are also many people dead because they didnt use enough gun.Shooting a bear is a last resort situation.Most times,if they see you and start to head your way,you can scream and wave your arms and scare them off.Hopefully,they will hear the bell tied to your pack and go the other way before you ever see them.I have seen a bear take 2 300 win mag rounds to go down--trust in pepper spray?? Not I--but its your life..

11. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

The bears I know prefer you carry pepper spray on one hip and salt spray on the other hip. Maybe a little cilantro in your pockets.

I'm convinced Bear Spray is a bad joke. If you have a bear problem, you have a real problem. You need a real solution -- a big gun!

12. noway

noway

{The bears I know prefer you carry pepper spray on one hip and salt spray on the other hip. Maybe a little cilantro in your pockets.
    }

ROFLMAO on that one. Good :cool:

13. Weston

Weston

This time of year you need to be careful. Normally red Cajon pepper does the trick if spread around a secured camp at night. Don't be sparing. No food or crumbs. Hoist everything in bear bags although black bears can be bombers, so keep the bags reasonably distant from your camp.

“Bear bombs” make a heck of a noise and throw-off an impressive mist but, again this time of year, backup pestering with protection. And depending on where you are located you’ll need something from .357 mag (yearling black bear) to a 3” 12 gauge (browns and grizzly).

If shotgun, pump action only. Model 870. Heavy loads. The most you can handle. Practice. Routine for larger, more dangerous bear which, in my book, is every bear this time of year – 1st round is #6, 2nd is 00, 3rd, 4th and 5th are slugs. Take your 1st and 2nd shots to its face, the 3rd to its shoulder in the hope it rears from the wound, and the 4th and 5th to the heart. It will be a good day if you can tell the story.

14. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I'd use this for bear spray.......

;g

;8 ;I

15. Weston

Weston

Yeow! That's gonna be one interesting shooting experience. Would that be a modified Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun with some custom loads?

16. Guest

Great posts already. Just to add. Using common sense will go along way. All the tricks you know will work, just keep doing them. Its easy to get lazy especially on a long trip.

Oh, and leave the spray at home. Spend the money on extra ammo.

17. noway

noway

{1st round is #6}

I would question the use of #6 birdshot on a bear ( black/brown/or polar ) ;g

Birdshot loads are very in-effective on humans and I would think the same would hold true for bears.

Heck birdshot is for BIRDs!. If you are going to use a shotgun get a real load that can stop the bear the first time. You might not have the chance for the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th shoot.

Anything could happen, gun fails to fire, malfunction or bear is right on top of you.

18. Weston

Weston

If you have not encountered a bear, your first shot will not be aimed. You're going for teh nose and eyes. The second is the same but with a little more effect. The 3rd, 4th and 5th are what will save your life.

But maybe you're Billy the Kid and can take a 1,400 pound preditor with that first shot. Best of luck to ya.

19. noway

noway

{You're going for teh nose and eyes.}

And what do you think the #6 shot going todo at the eyes and nose if you get lucky and get a hit on it ( bear) ? Kill it? blind it? make it run home crying ? Do you have any real life encounter or storys of a #6 birdshot load-only stopping an agressive boar/sow bear ?

( seriously I want to know )

Unless you where point-blank or near contact distance, you are using something very inferior and wasting a shot. And if you happen to get within point blank or near contact distance, than you are simple put " to damm close".

I think a better target then a small and thick skull of a bear, would be a COM on the bear. A moving or standing bear would present a hard target of hitting it in the head with BIRDSHOT or any shot if under attack,, under stress and no I wouldn't call me self "billy the kid", but I would want my 1st shot to stop the and end the immediate threat if I was being attack or had a desire to shoot a bear. You might not have the option of a second,third or fouth shot as you put it ( any thing is possible.... think Murphy's law ), so I wouldn't want to rely on a birdshot that's a piss poor option for humans and sometimes not very effective at stopping birds much less a bear.

Think about this; If the bear was attacking you partner ( assuming you where with somebody else ) I would think he or she would appreciate a 1st shot other than #6 bird.

and switch the shoes, would you want your partner shooting a bear that's on you and attacking you, with bird shot?

What if he can't hit it in the eyes and nose?

etc.........

I betcha you won't find one professional hunter or guide living in a heavy bear land ( i.e alaska ) suggest birdshot as anti-bear/self-defense load.

20. Weston

Weston

Bet any way you want. God forbid you have an accidental encounter with one of these awsome creatures. But it is then that you will most certainly know, and I stand firmly by my recommendation.