close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bear Hunting Over Bait??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FullClip, Sep 7, 2004.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

This year there is a state referendum in Maine, that if passed would outlaw trapping or hunting bear over bait, or with dogs. While I am not a bear hunter, I will vote against it's passage to allow those who do hunt bear this way to keep on doing what they like.
    Without getting into too much detail, I don't like the idea of this referendum being led by the Bambi crowd and am afraid that if it does pass, it will then encourage them to make further restrictions. sitting in a tree stand or blind for hours at a time to shot a bear isn't my idea of a good time, but I won't begrudge it for those who enjoy it.
    Another part of the problem is the wording, that includes "natural bait or food". Since a bear eats about anything, it would be pretty hard to not shot one close to something that could be considered it's food supply.

What's your opinion??

Believe that a similar thing is happening in Alaska, but not up on the details.

2. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

in PA for a long time, no bait nor dogs allowed. I'm against hunting any animal over bait, to me that's not hunting, it's slaughtering them. If i can't outsmart the animal doing what it normally does and don't spend the time required to make that happen then I get what i get when i go afield. And i'm not comfortable hunting big game behind dogs either, they do it a lot here in VA for deer..

Now i do agree with you in the fact that even though i don't like it that should not mean that others that do should not be able to enjoy it..

I'd vote how i felt and if it was not a "safety" issue that was causing the request then i'd most likely vote against it..

Maybe you should draft a law banning drinking Alcohol while sitting on bar stools?.. make if ambiguous by saying anything with "natural grains" can not be consumed.. :)

good luck.

3. noway

noway

I agreed, hunting animals over bait, is not really hunting.

I don't have a problem with people doing it, but I would not hunt over bait. Even if my state would allowed it, I would never hunt game animals over bait. Give the animal some type dignity and chance.

I don't have a problem with dogs used in the world of hunting. We humans have been using dogs for thousands of years for assistants and companions in the fields for hunting.

4. tjpet

tjpet

As bears tend to be solitary animals baiting and the use of dogs makes sense. To assume that baiting or dogs guarantee you a bear...well, friend, you've obviously never played either game.

I've killed bears over bait, with dogs, and by still hunting. All three get the blood pumping and that's the name of the game.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

They tried to ban bear baiting here in Michigan a few years ago too… long story short (along the same lines as tjpet)… bears ain’t deer!

As far as in baiting in general? I think a lot of people, both hunters & non-hunters, confuse the words “hunting” & “harvesting” together. ;) (they shouldn’t be)