Bear defense for the small statured

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Remington92, Feb 21, 2020.

1. 1bigK

1bigK

Run faster than the next person, or kneecap them to cause a sacrificial offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intolerant and rotorhead1026 like this.

2. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

meanwhile op is likely more confused now than before. sorry

Deltic and Intolerant like this.
  3. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

Does she have the hand strength to work a Glock? I know this is astounding to most GTers but many women simply can't grip and rack the slide on a Glock or other auto.
    How much weight is she willing to carry? I would see how she likes a 6" .357 SS revolver. From her size that would be about the most I think she could manage. If she CAN rack the slide on a Glock there are many options there. A Glock 24 .40 shooting either hardcast or with a .357 SIG barrel would be nice. Actually any woman hiking in the "wilds" should carry a gun for protection against the real threat, the two legged threat.

BlueKat, Deltic, larry_minn and 3 others like this.
  4. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Definitely this.

BlueKat, 1bigK and larry_minn like this.
  5. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Major need right here ...

Please complete the form below and file with a GT Mod.

IMG_0290.JPG

6. orangeride

orangeride

To be honest everyone keeps talking about Underwood type loads for the 10mm, while i agree this is the way to go in the 10mm, a 200gr hard cast loaded to about 1000 FPS is a real ***** cat in the g20 (think hot 9mm in g17) and from what I’ve seen that round at that speed will still penetrate crazy good, it might be something she would be real comfortable shooting and therefore practicing with.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Why would I be butt hurt? I posted verifiable proof that what you were trying to pass off as factual was untrue......

You talking about bear defense is like a virgin telling someone what position is the most enjoyable......

I’m just curious why you’re so apt to show up here and intentionally spread misinformation?

8. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Ah no, not at all. In terms of real 10mm output, it's a 200gn HC @ 1250 fps, not '1000 fps.'

Huge difference on the receiving end.

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

just read first page so far.
    Dang not a week ago I read article. IIRC American Hunter Magazine? I don’t get it but think it was March 2020 issue?

Basically of many bear encounters both that they personally, as well as well reported. Seldom was lethal force the “best” answer.
    Making noise, movement, shooting in ground near charging bear was reported as almost always plenty to convince a bear to leave you alone. UNLESS cubs nearby.
    But if you injure it. You better kill it. (Ok that’s mine)

Ok read all. I knew a guy went up North to hunt bears. He killed a smaller adult with 870 slugs. Was cleaning it and a Sow came upon him, very upset. (He thought maybe her cub few yrs back). He fired mast two slugs, dropped gun, behind tree with .22 pistol. (Not a G22, a .22). The sow thrashed a tree (not one he was hiding behind) walked off. The guide tracked, killed wounded sow.
    Myself i would carry my Glock, or .357.
    As PITA to get guns to AK Glock.
    I have one run in with a bear. Tracking a juvenile escaping camp. At night. I couldn’t figure how this kid was keeping ahead of me in rough ground. Till I caught up, turned on light....
    I then ran the other direction, thankfully the bear stayed on its course...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  10. DSinOR

DSinOR

Best gun: 12g with mixed slugs and 00.
    Not usually practical for hikers or hunters.

Otherwise, wear two holsters:
    Offhand holster has bear spray.
    Panic holster has pistol.
    Carry bear spray in your hand often, especially in bear-y places.

Hikers: Make noise. Sing. Whistle. Call out things like, "Hey Bear" often. I do it all the time. Been doing it for 30 years.

Hunters, especially those who creep into areas before first light: be careful. Have gun in hand. I do this all the time, been doing it for 30 years. I do the same when packing out quarters after sunset, but at least I can wear a headlamp while doing that.

Black bear sow with cub: they will snap their jaws a lot. It's freaky. Be ready. They will almost always charge. First charge is usually a bluff. Usually. After a bluff charge they will retreat. If they reset and charge again, you probably will have to fight. They will not quit once they are on you. Playing dead does not work. You win or die. When they hit you, they will be traveling 30mph. It's much worse than a hit from an NFL linebacker. Don't drop your weapon, otherwise you are dead. The previous sentence is the most important. If you push the firearm against the hide and shoot, the bear takes the projectile and the gas charge. That usually ends the fight because it hurts so bad. Good info there.

Grizzly sow with cub: not much difference except bigger bear, and they usually quit if you play dead. Usually. And you will be injured, but they might quit. Me: I'm shooting them before then.

Black bear boar: attacks are rare.

Grizzly boar: attacks are common, and based on territorial response and threat response. To bears, people look like really weird bears: the only other animal they ever see stand up. So they just get pissed off and attack. Playing dead can work. Me: I'm shooting before then.

I've never been to Alaska. yet.

YMMV.

I have been charged once by a black bear sow with cub. She bluffed and then departed. The cub had already run off. I did not fire. I was gonna, but she stopped. Then it was over.

I have had one archery client charged by a black bear sow with cub. When she backed off, I ran at her yelling with a pistol from a location that was not known to her. She saw two threats and left, I think because the cub had already left. Lucky. Happened real fast. My client went to full draw when she first charged, but did not shoot. He was yelling GIT, GIT, GIT! He was more experienced with bears than I was. His name was Dean Langton. Quite a guy. That was at Elk Mountain, WY.

I have been charged by one griz, sex unknown. It stopped and retreated before I fired. Then I did not fire. Then it ran off. I was trout fishing south of Jackson.

I have been challenged by one collared griz on Leidy, for the last quarter and gut pile of my elk. I retreated, and never saw it again. Abandoned a rear quarter.

After each episode, I had occasional nightmares for 2 months, then got over it.

Bear spray works. I have seen it work. I carry it, but have never used it. My bear country pistol is a .44 Blackhawk. I'm sure some will criticize. Whatever. I'm tight on the first shot, and committed to not dropping it.

No grizzlies where I live now. Local guy killed a charging black bear with a 9mm a few years ago. 4th shot hit the bear in the forehead, ended the episode.

I saw where some people suggested that humans not walk where bears are. Geez. SMH.

I was on Ingraham Flats about an hour after some climbing guides and clients witnessed and filmed a black bear run non-stop across the flat and over the uphill side of Cathedral. Nearly 12000', all glacier. Bizarre. But on film. Never stopped running.

That was a fun walk down memory lane.
    My message: be careful with bears, they are really fast.

reniram likes this.
  11. Intolerant

Intolerant

What type of firearms training has she had, assuming shes shot a few guns in the past already. My wife is 100lbs soakin wet, and she shoots a 44 magnum with full house loads far better than most men. Alot is going to depend how gun friendly your friend is and what kind of training shes had. If my 5`tiny wife can effectively handle a 44 magnum, there is no reason your friend cant, if properly trained. Now, i`m not saying your friend should carry a 44 magnum, but it surely is an effective round on bear of most any size.

Personally, i wont go into the woods without my Glock G29-4 and loaded with 200gr hardcast. I would take her to a gunshop and just try out fitting her with something comfortable. Best way would be to go to a place where they have gun rentals and let her shoot a few, and then decide where the road takes her.

In the mean time... keep her out of the woods unless someone is armed and with her. Common sense.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  12. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Oh, give it up man. When I read your first couple of posts on this subject, it got my dander up... now you are just flat out boring.

13. Out West

Out West

You don't think shot placement is important? Isn't that part of learning "proper fundementals"?

Intolerant likes this.
  14. Backpack Hunter

Backpack Hunter

Yes the real world, with real results. Since you like ammoland
    https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...tols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/
    This one was a bit more recent
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/grizzly-bear-attack-in-montana-stopped-with-9mm-pistols/
    I imagine this one worked as well
    https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/
    I guess I'll continue living in my fantasy land, and carrying my 9mm semi-auto.

15. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Never been to "bear country" and won't be going.

One evening while driving up interstate 79 in West Virginia years back, I witnessed a young black bear running full out up what had to be at least a 45-50 degree mountianside. He never broke stride and was up the side of that precipice in a twinkling. I can't imagine how fast he could move over flat ground!

I totally get how fast a bear can be on you. Never going where one can get at me.

Hunters and hikers regularly disappear w/o a trace in the wild. Not joining them.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessn

g30nut and Intolerant like this.
  16. Dynactus

Dynactus

Remington92, if she were my friend and couldn't handle a sawed off 12ga with 00 buckshot I'd tell her find a boyfriend about the size of a Grizzly and stick with him. She'd have a lot more fun with him, than getting eaten by the Grizzly.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  17. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

My Amigo a Grizz is a Grizz. And no Hard Cast is not going to save your bottom. Come to Wyoming and face one our lawn bears.
    Grizzly-Bear.jpg

Gray_Rider likes this.
  18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I’ve already posted links to a fairly large number of bears shot in self defense, indicating quite the opposite......

Not sure why I would go to Wyoming to see small bears, I can just drive 50-60 miles north from my house and see them all day. Or a couple hours south to see giant 10+ ft coastal brownies.

19. Intolerant

Intolerant

Can we stop the pissing contest so that we can help the OP here folks? Thanks ;)