Bear defense for the small statured

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Remington92, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

I’m hoping to get lucky with anything under the 40 hardcast rounds that I carry in the woods. Hopefully Yogi gives me time for two reloads.

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Uh. 454 and 480 out of an Alaskan produces more energy than any load in a Glock 20 I’m familiar with....

And if you’re complaining about the size and portability of a wheel gun but suggesting a full size auto, I’m thinking you’re just fan boi ing the 10.

dkf likes this.

3. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yes, we agree. You're completely unfamiliar with the reduced terminal ballistics of sub-4" Magnum snubbies. Barrel-length matters with magnums. If you don't understand that, ... well, you're not understanding it.

Ruger 2.5" SRHs weigh 44/45 ounces unloaded ... Gen4 G20 weighs 30 ounces.

IMG_0337.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    LinuxLover likes this.
  4. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

There is so much misinformation on this thread it is almost becoming dangerous. My 4" Smith will push a Garrett Hardcast bullet at 1,325 fps, the equivalent of 58 ft lbs of momentum energy. A hot 10 mm by Buffalo Bore pushes a 220 grain bullet at 1200 fps or 38 ft lbs of momentum. The 44 has over 50 percent more energy than the 10 mm in this example. The 10 mm is no slouch and is better than nothing against a bear, but to suggest it is more powerful than a 44 to someone who is seeking legit info and help is almost immoral. Simply shooting each cartridge and experiencing the recoil should tell you that it does not even come close to passing the sniff test.

5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Riiiiight.

The chrono numbers I have for Alaskans push a 454 360 grain hard cast at 1100 fps, and a 480 pushing a 400 grain at 1050.

Both produce over 1,000 ft lbs of energy with a significantly larger bullet.

Have you actually killed a brown/grizzly or large black bear north of 450 lbs?

dkf likes this.
  6. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I have a .357 Dan Wesson 6" vent heavy and a G20.
    The G20 is more comfortable to shoot, therefore she would have a better chance of scoring hits with the G20.

LinuxLover likes this.
  7. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

If you actually read my post, it was referring to the 'sub-4"' Magnum snubby revolvers like Ruger's 2.5" SRH Alaskan series, which includes the .44, .454, & 480 magnums.

A 4" magnum revolver is right on the line. Factory magnum ammo is tested with - and fps/fpe stats derived from - 6" and 8" test-barrels, not the barrel lengths commonly being carried in afield, typically 2.5" or 3", and sometimes 4".

8. Terry G

Terry G

7 Shot 12 Gauge with alternate No. 4 and slugs? Carry it on a sling for hands free?

PRKJayhawk likes this.
  9. dkf

dkf

Its good if she can shoot something before she buys it. She may find some of the better more powerful .357mag loads not to her liking. I would take a look at the Ruger GP100 in .44special. You can pick up some good cast bullet ammo with a good size metplat bullet from several ammo companies out there. (like Grizzly and Buffalo Bore) The .44 special won't win any speed contests but it can fire a 250gr cast bullet around 1000 fps which will be enough penetration even for a half decent sized bear. For practice you can get "cowboy" loads until she warms up to the heavier stuff. She may like the recoil impulse of the .44special a little better than the .357magnum.

A small women with small hands is probably not going to like the grip size of a large frame glock very much.

10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

https://gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2009/5/12/ruger-super-redhawk-alaskan/

Far be it from a guy with actual bear experience to say you’re wrong. But both of those also get, significantly different numbers from what you’re claiming.

Perhaps that’s why big bore revolvers are the most commonly seen guns on the river banks and trails of AK, and Glocks are but a small minority.

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

It all depends on the situation. Not every encounter with a bear is exactly the same. I also think it's a good idea to have both a gun AND pepper spray even though popular wisdom says you won't have time to chose or use both.

12. 133124

133124 Previously BgDnTx

A bear can go up to 30 mph in a short burst; that's 44 ft per second.
    And the boys up there tend to wear chest rigs with cannons, ie. 44 mag, 10mm, even 460 or 500s. And we're talking black bears, not Grizzlies.
    If visiting my friends in Montana I chose my G20sf. And hope to get 4 or more into him before I get chewed. It all may be wishful thinking.
    For the little lady, all the mags and 10s are probably not the choice. But one no one has mentioned is the 44 special. I have a Charter Bulldog that is very controllable and almost as good as the 44 mag without shaking the ground. That's my suggestion.
    Apologies to dkf, i see he did mention the 44 special.

dkf and LinuxLover like this.
  13. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I'll take his knowledge over your fantastic and pompous line of crap any day. I've seen his results.... yours is just chest thumping.

14. Backpack Hunter

Backpack Hunter

The 9mm has a great track record against bears, both black and brown. It is my preference for "woods" carry.

15. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Fair enough, but the only way to match lethal force is to have your own attack trained pet grizzly.

agtman likes this.
  16. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Tell her to take professional bear avoidance training. Much better investment. 20 gauge pump loaded with 3 inch slugs and a lot of training on the range. Forget the handguns.

mc1911 likes this.
  17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Lol.

Yeah man, I mean, you didn’t just post a bunch of stuff you could have learn was FACTUALLY incorrect by reading/researching on the internet.

But hey, I just live, grew up, and hunt every year where people take once in a life time hunts. I’ll see more bears in the month of June, than most of this forum will see in a lifetime. And I worked for an actual Alaskan guide packing meat in actual bear country.

By all means don’t let facts and first hand knowledge sway you from your path. Sorry to have pointed out you got suckered.

glock1097 likes this.
  18. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

I think my wife would veto that request. I might have luck with a sacrificial canine or two.

rotorhead1026 likes this.
  19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

The food and poop scooping bills alone make it an unattractive option.

20. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

greg vanstralen likes this.