Bear defense for the small statured

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Remington92, Feb 21, 2020.

1. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

You read all the time about experienced hunters being charged before they can even shoulder a rifle. I'd go along with making a lot of noise when outdoors, never get between a mother and her cubs, and have the bear spray easily accessible.
    Not quite like shooting a human, but there can be legal issues with shooting a bear. Not that it's a concern if a bear is really attacking you.

greg vanstralen likes this.
  2. ede

ede

Two guys I work with got mauled by a grizzly last fall in Montana. Both had 44 mag S&W revolvers. Didn't have time to touch the guns. One guy used bear spray from few inches while bear was slinging first guy around. Bear turned on him and he sprayed it again from contact distance and bear left.

As for your friend I'd consider a ported 10mm Glock and bear spray.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

A 4 inch steel 357 is bulkier and weighs more than a Glock model 33 in 357 Sig and the Glock has a significant increase in ammo capacity. Even a 4 inch Glock 32 is a little easier to carry and shoot than a 4 inch DA revolver.

The 5.5 pound striker fired trigger is easier to shoot than a 9 pound DA trigger on a revolver but both require practice. A KKM 9mm conversion barrel and one or two 9mm mags allow you to use cheaper ammo for practice.

JNeuser likes this.
  4. yellolab

yellolab

G20 recoil not so bad. Especially in an adrenaline filled siutation.
    G20 grip size for a 5ft tall woman may be problematic.

5. rogn

rogn real dogs

A G20SF loaded with hard cast is probably the most practical choice. Best compromise of power and shoot ability, most seem in agreement. I would like to add that one needs to make sure your Glock will function with the chosen ammo. There is a history of some not feeding reliably with heavy duty ammo.
    Second most important choice is practice, practice, practice. You have got to be choosy and able to shoot where you want the bullet holes to appear. Noise from like a 700 NE doesnt have much effect.

Joebiker likes this.
  6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Ammo capacity is pointless when you’re only going to get a couple rounds off.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Mostly in bear tall tales.

8. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Shockwave or Tac 13 with slugs.

Ok, an SP101 in 357 w/ 158 gr. hard cast semi - wadcutters.

glock1097 and NJ1911 like this.
  9. Remington92

Remington92

This is the part I was thinking about. For myself gen 4 g20 all day but I don’t know if her paws are big enough to really get a hold of one.

10. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

People are saying.

Modern 9mm ammunition ( if you do your job) and the extra capacity it affords, can take down even the largest wookie.

check out these 360’s and hell kittens everyone is raving about.

11. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

now that is what i call "bad advice"

12. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or real advice. If it is real advice, probably best to use the first round on herself.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  13. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

The shooter has to be convinced that they are carrying the correct weapon for the job. Forcing someone to shoot a pistol they don't like or are afraid of isn't gonna make for a positive survivalists attitude.

That said ---> I'd go BIG..... and if I was a 5'0" person of the female persuasion, I'd train and train and train some more to develop a love-love relationship with my firearm.

I am sure of a G20.4 because I took a Bear Defense Class while using it. My instructor advised me to buy it... although he has and sells other calibers and brands.

He said the 10mm with the proper round is extremely lethal, can penetrate a bear's armor plated skull and generally cause severe CNS shock..... with accent on CNS.

You can't get a bear down when its pumping adrenaline even if it's a fatal lung- venal- or heart-shot... it won't know it's dead, until long after its ripped you pretty badly ... if not fatally.

Hit a nerve channel and the bear may only be able to run in circles..... fracture a hip and the bear will spin around trying to find out what's happening and by what.... and maybe break off it's attack on you.... hit the brain or the top of the spinal cord and he drops. A .22 would work if it hit the right spot.

Bears move fast.... they can be on you before you clear leather (or plastic) and the round has to penetrate deeply, creating as large of a wound channel as possible.

Remember that bears typically charge head-down, so I was taught to shoot for his nose. It should create havoc with the bear either physically, neurologically or psychologically ... or any combination of those three.

I load 15+1 of Underwood Extreme Penetrator pure copper so they don't deform. At present I can successfully hit a 9-inch paper plate at 42 yards(*) with 14 out of 16 rounds. This is with double-taps.
    (* .... this oddball distance is because our range just worked out that way)​

Closer... to 20 yards or so, I can fire them all in less than 5 seconds and the occasional flier is still within 2-inches of the plate. This should be good-to-go for knocking a bear down

Yeah... a G20 is big.... I cannot conceal it... don't care to... and have learned to crossdraw off my left hip as my most likely defense.

Since I sneak up on trout, I also sneak up on bears and after 4 scary encounters with blackies (one with three cubs)..... I want the upper hand if it happens again.

Thaw-out will be soon and dem bears is gonna be looking for 98.6F Meals on Heels.
    Notice I said nothing about bear spray.

FUN FACT: black bears will let you watch as they eat your liver.

14. Pluto57

Pluto57

Sadly, the bear is unlikely to regard her size as a reason to succumb to anything smaller than it would if the weapon were being wielded by a larger person. That is, the size of the person doesn't dictate the weapon needed, the size of the bear does.

BlueKat likes this.
  15. Jringo8769

Jringo8769

Well carry a 40 cal
    G27 if they are smaller folk
    That is a great caliber and will pack a punch in a small gun
    God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

16. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

This is always the correct answer ... provided it's properly loaded with the high-velocity, heavy hardcasts slugs (x 15+1), not .40-level 'target ammo.'

BlueKat, G26-Has-my-6 and MinervaDoe like this.
  17. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

357 isn't widely known as a Brown Bear load. Hard cast and good ammo will certainly make a difference.
    I watched a little old lady, in her late 70's-early 80's take out 3 large inland Grizzly's in her garden with a 454 Casull. It ain't the bow, it is the Indian.
    Not the pleasant range day shooter, but she was much the size of your friend and probably capable of taking on one of those bears bare handed.
    44 Mag is the standard, and it can be loaded down for training and warmed up for dastardly duty.
    Lots of 10MM fans around here, and it is a good round. It isn't 41 Mag and certainly isn't 44 Mag. Paper won't save your ass if it gets ugly.
    If your going to bet your life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CHEAT to WIN.

BlueKat likes this.
  18. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 3.11.25 PM.png

R Freeman and agtman like this.
  19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I have killed more than 2 dozen bears, and been involved in the killing of probably close to 60 or so more between packing for a guide and hunting in AK.

I don’t know who your “bear defense instructor” was, but he sold you a fantastic line of crap.

glock_collector likes this.
  20. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Actually, most 44 Mag/'Dirty Harry' wannabes practice with loads at the .44 Special level and carry with factory .44 Special-level ammo.

When compared to a 2.5" or 3" .41 or .44 Magnum snubby revolver, which is the barrel length most Big-Bore guys actually take into the field, a 4.6" G20 gives you equal or better ballistics, packs lighter, and offers 15+1 capacity.

The sub-4" wheelguns give up a HUGE amount of the velocity and energy (fps/fpe) that factory Magnum loads are established with using 6" and 8" barrels. Snubby magnums become low-capacity, slow-to-reload boat anchors, with slower follow-up shots than even a hot-loaded G20.

The Mega-Magnums, like the 454 Casull, 480Ruger, or 500S&W, chopped down to snubby size and sold as 'Alaska-ready' field guns (e.g., Ruger's 2.5" SRH Alaskan) are simply trying to attract buyers using a marketing ploy of implied weight-reduction for easier portability.

Yet they suffer from the same issue of a steep drop-off in velocity that is critical to their killing power and their otherwise impressive 'box-flap' stats (again, established at the factory using 6" or 8" test barrels).