close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bear Attacks Hunter in Tree

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TScottW99, Oct 29, 2003.

1. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Bear attacks hunter in tree
    Franklin area man suffers leg wounds

Michael A. Sawyers
    Times-News Staffwriter

FRANKLIN, W.Va. — A bear is said to have climbed a tree and attacked a man who was bow hunting deer from an elevated stand on Oct. 22 near Franklin, biting and clawing both of his legs below the knees, according to Hoy Murphy, public information officer for the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources.

The victim was James Lambert, 25, of Dry Run Road near Franklin. A report supplied by Conservation Officer Shane Duffield indicated that Lambert was eventually able to escape to his vehicle and was later treated at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, Va.

Murphy confirmed that wildlife personnel from the agency’s Romney office attempted unsuccessfully to find and capture the bear. Duffield reported that Lambert suffered puncture wounds, lacerations and claw marks to both of his lower legs during the incident that took place on Ned’s Mountain, Murphy said.

Lambert’s father, Dennis, said Tuesday night that his son was not feeling well enough to talk by phone. The elder Lambert said his son’s legs were bothering him.

“It happened just at daybreak,” Dennis Lambert said of his son’s run-in with the sow, who he said, had two cubs with her. “At one point the bear tried to climb another tree so she could come down on top of him.” The father said his son described the size of the bear only as “big.”

Dennis Lambert said his son was able to stab the bear several times with a hunting knife and eventually jumped from the ladder stand that was 11 or 12 feet high. The younger Lambert was able to escape the bear and walk the half-mile to his vehicle and then drive a mile or so to his home, at which time his father took him to the Virginia hospital about 40 miles away.

James Lambert was admitted, according to his father, returning home two days later. “He got a lot of stitches and staples,” Dennis Lambert said of his son. He added that his son was not using bait in an attempt to attract deer to his hunting location.

“We’ve been having a lot of bear problems in this area,” he said. “Bears tried to get up trees on two other hunters and one got after a squirrel hunter.”

A state wildlife official in Romney confirmed the incident, but would not comment further, saying the matter is under investigation by officers of the Law Enforcement Section of the DNR.

http://216.15.229.16/news/full_story.cfm?story_id=17600

2. Dan

Dan

How come he didn't shoot it with his bow?

3. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

I was thinking the same thing. If I'm in the stand and a bear is on her way up to sit with me, she's getting shot with something! Were firearms not allowed as it was bow only season? This is exactly why a sidearm should be permitted during bow only hunting periods. Unfortunately here in Georgia they are not or I would seriously consider getting into bow hunting. I just can't swallow the "Absolutely No Firearms" regulation. A .44 Mag revolver would have been the ticket for this guy. Hope he gets back in the woods soon!

4. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

Damn right.

5. MyT-FastDog

MyT-FastDog

It's easy to say that he should have shot him with his bow, but harder to do when you have a 250 pound bear rumbling up your tree. It sounds like he did a decent job with his knife as it was.

What this place really needs is more people hunting bears. We are having the same trouble with Mountain Lions. If you don't hunt them, they lose their fear of people.

I have an uncle that hunts extensively in Alaska. Everybody bow hunts there with a 12 as back-up. Nothing like 000 buckshot in 3" at close range to discourage a bear!