close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Bear Alert" issued for E. Utah.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MCNETT, Jul 17, 2003.

1. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

There is a "bear alert" for hungry black bears in Eastern Utah that was issued today. After investigating the attack on the teenager in Green River, UT, the fish & game has received more than a dozen complaints from campers who have had to chase away normally timid black bears. I though you guys should know in case you are going to be in the area.
    -Mike

2. Flatbedder

Flatbedder Member

I'm going to be hunting archery elk on the north slope next month. Hope I don't run into a hungry bear. All I will have is my bow with some awesome broadheads. I could carry my one of my handguns but it is alot of extra wieght when you already have a heavy pack.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Flatbedder wrote:
    I admire your courage. Even if I just went hiking into that area, I would seriously consider packing a good gun. Hiking is one thing, though. Hunting is another. I think a smell of blood may be a strong attraction to a hungry bear. No, I don't think I would go hunting there without a gun.

Wait, I will correct myself. I don't think I would go hunting into that area at all for a while. Somehow I do not savor the idea of voluntarily going into an area where I will be hunted by an ugly, mean, black bear. I've been bush hunting for boars with a handgun before where a moment hesitation might cost you some nasty injuries, but that is different. Call me unsporty.

4. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

10mm Auto ....

Just make it a "heavy & fast" 10mm load. ;)

Texas Ammo's 10mm/200gn FMJ-FP @ 1250fps/694fpe fits the bill as a potent "bear-stopper" load for a pistol of reasonable size and weight. Load-up 10+1 in a G20 and you're good to go. :)